Discussion EDMC Invalid Credentials

I disagree. A lot of users from a lot of games rely in third party stuff, like various calculators, wikis, mods, and other tools and resources. The design of a game might even be intended to encourage the creation of such things, for various reasons. So the fact that they exist might not be a flaw, but in fact be an intended "feature".

Calculators/wikis/mod are tools to build on to existing functionality; to expand upon it. I take no issue with this; and full support it.
What ED has, are tools created solely because the game does not have them already. EDDB.io, for example, is an entire website built around the need for functionality that doesn't exist in the game.
Inara is another one.
The fact that I have to leave the game to find a ship I want to buy because there is no in-game method of doing so is testament to poor game design.
The fact that I have to leave the game to find optimal trade routes because the in-game method is usually outdated thanks to delayed communications*, is testament to poor game design.
The fact that players clearly WANT to forge clans/guilds in the game and need an external tool because decision-makers are Frontier don't want it is testament to a disconnect between developer, and customer.

* On a more lore-focused topic: I cannot fathom how a civilisation can exist, let alone thrive, when it can't even make a real-time call to another station in the same system.

Disclaimer: This is all my opinion.

Last edited:
Well, I love having external tools.
.) I can have the tool on another computer or screen
.) they don't interfere with the game interface (complex menus)
.) and last but not least, they let the tool developers inspire the game developers

I'll be happy when the API gets online and fully functional again. EDMC and its plugins are very nice to have for me.

Calculators/wikis/mod are tools to build on to existing functionality; to expand upon it. I take no issue with this; and full support it.
That is the same as this:
What ED has, are tools created solely because the game does not have them already.
and in fact this:
The fact that I have to leave the game to find a ship I want to buy because there is no in-game method of doing so is testament to poor game design.
is what actually happens in A LOT of games, and in none of them I have seen people argue that it's a shortcoming of the game's design. In games like Skyrim, WoW, and a lot of others, if you want to find some specific thing to buy it or obtain it in other way, you will also generally look for that information on the internet. There is no qualitative difference. There likely is a quantitative difference, nonetheless. Playing ED without 3rd party tools and resources like EDMC, EDDB, EDSM, etc. is a lot tougher than playing most other games that have similar kinds of resources and tools, and doing it without them.

The fact that I have to leave the game to find optimal trade routes because the in-game method is usually outdated thanks to delayed communications*, is testament to poor game design.
The fact that players clearly WANT to forge clans/guilds in the game and need an external tool because decision-makers are Frontier don't want it is testament to a disconnect between developer, and customer.
My point is this: it all depends on what goals the design has. If the developer wants its users to create 3rd party stuff for the game, then their design has been successful, it is a good design for that goal. What "good game design" means depends on what the game designer's goals are with it. And there are many reasons why the developers might want (or not want) that kind of outcome, not least of of them might be the strong communities that form around the game when people create and maintain that kind of resources and tools (like it were some kind of loyalty marketing strategy). But I don't know the developers' intentions, so I would not hurry to any conclusions about their doing things well or not in that regards.

I mean, it would be like saying that you find that a horror movie is bad because you got scared while watching it, and that that is bad moviemaking because you don't like for movies to scare you, when in fact that would be an example of good moviemaking (a horror movie's goal is for you to get scared).

So, the thing is that the design might not me bad, but in fact working as intended. And if it's not, then you can say it's a bad design. A wholly different thing is if you like the kind of game that expects the community to "fill in the lacking functionality". That would be a valid critique too, but that would be a more subjective one, on the lines of "the essence of the series is missing in this game because of this design that almost forces players to generate tools and content in order to be able to properly play the game", or something similar.

* On a more lore-focused topic: I cannot fathom how a civilisation can exist, let alone thrive, when it can't even make a real-time call to another station in the same system.
Yes, I have noticed similar stuff too. No autopilot in the 3300s? Are you kidding me? There are lots of things like these that make little sense in-lore, and have no real in-lore explanation. The simple real-life explanation is that most of those things would break the game experience, but it's weird that there is no lore explanation at least for the most obvious ones.

EDIT:

also this:
Well, I love having external tools.
.) I can have the tool on another computer or screen
.) they don't interfere with the game interface (complex menus)
.) and last but not least, they let the tool developers inspire the game developers

I'll be happy when the API gets online and fully functional again. EDMC and its plugins are very nice to have for me.

Last edited:
Yeah but ...

The fact that persons give up their own free time to create these apps makes the game what is is.

Many games are made better due to the work of the fans.

I'm sure FDev know this, and know the strength of the game ultimately rests with the fact people play it and keep it alive.

Hello CMDRs, I've one of the EDMC and EDDN contributors. The "Companion API" or "cAPI" service is currently broken, so data that usually comes from this and gets submitted to EDDB.io via EDDN such as commodity prices, demand and supply are not being updated.

This is rather annoying, and until this is fixed EDMC, EDSM and EDDI will only be able to update planetary data and faction influence values. No amount of altering your passwords or clearing data will fix this, it is server side.

I have to say though, I agree with FDev in this case that there are other things that need to be fixed first that are game breaking, this bug breaks a very useful out-of-game extra but bugs such as 20 million credit 14ly passenger missions to deliver 10 refugees in my mind are much more urgent to fix as they break big parts of the game for everyone. It's annoying but it is a necessary. I hope it wont be more than another few days.

Fly safe!

I'm pleased to hear from you and am thankful of the work you do but in this you are wrong!

I doubt if I would be wrong to say that many more customers are severely inconvenienced by the cAPI being offline than are by the exploits that have arisen.
The reason I say this is that exploitations can be logged and rectified after the fact. Even taken offline until fixed. Whereas the inability to use the many offline tools that the cAPI feeds makes the game virtually unplayable for many, if not the majority of, players.
Your concilliatory post merely serves to feed the complacency that seems to pervade the Devs inner circle.

o7

Last edited:
...that many more customers are severely inconvenienced by the cAPI being offline than are by the exploits that have arisen.

Yeah!

There are still working missions in the missions-board. But if you want to trade - or do the CG - you spend hours to find a station with supply/demand.

so FD any update as to when this will be working again, as trying to find commodities for CG's is a real pain in the neck right now, having to fly to 10 different systems to try and obtain necessary materials, would of been nice if the market system worked like the original elite (was a huge fan BBC micro and Amiga variants) where it actually gave prices, at the minute it states imported exported which is pretty useless, does not state if they have said commodity, this is why we need the api running to get this information.

It's just started working for me, since I only installed TCE and EDMC at the weekend it's always been out for me. But just now I tried by starting EDMC and it worked, started TCE and the extension says Ready To Use and all my current ship data has appeared and up to date, including credits.

I managed for EDMC to login once, after deleting install folder files and extra files from %localappdata%/EDMarketConnector, and then by reinstalling the application and re-entering confirmation code sent to my e-mail.

Market data should have gone to Sol system, Abraham Lincoln station but EDDB shows the prices as still being seven days old. After that tried fetching ship data from EDMC, and was again greeted with invalid credentials message.

Here's my data packet which apparently reached EDDN - no market data was sent: Link

Last edited:
TCE says update required EDMC v2.43 but github is still 2.42

L4aHPkY.jpg

Since I am waiting for my last post to appear.

Updating via EDMC works, it finds 2.43 and updates. No errors or messages now.

Still NOT working. Uninstalling EDMC does nothing. Trade Market Connector not working, EDDI not working.

Great fix in this patch FDev. As usual.

It was working for me until about 5 minutes ago, now the Invalid Credentials are back. Odd it still seems to read the data from the game, just not produce a prices spreadsheet.

... And now a few minutes later ... it works again ... something is still flaky somewhere.

Last edited:
Sorry for being ignorant but can somebody fill me in on what's happening here?
Is it actually working properly or not now?

I updated EDMC to the latest version this evening and found I was getting the "Invalid Credentials" issue.
Went to have dinner and watch some TV and then, after sitting back down to some more ED, I notice that it seems to have sorted itself out.

I don't really have anything to do with EDMC.
I just start it up before playing ED and let it do it's thing. :eek:

Updated my home station's trade data! First time in 8 days. ED Shipyard working fine, but Coriolis Shipyard, my prefered one, not working yet. But this is great progress! Thanks FDev for taking care of the problem. I have faith the Coriolis.io problem will be fixed soon, may be the site needs to update.

*sigh*

I just looked at the EDMC app' after alt-tabbing out of ED and it's back to saying "Invalid Credentials" again.

Buggeration! :mad:

*EDIT*

Just realised what's happening....
When I'm in space EDMC isn't trying to send any data so I don't get the "Invalid Credentials" message.
Soon as I land at a station, it tries to send data and I get the error message.

Last edited:
No success getting EDMC working with the cAPI for me since yesterday's patch.

EDMC 2.4.3 is still reporting "Invalid Credentials". Same behaviour after clearing and reentering Frontier account credentials twice and entering the email verification codes. Same behavour after clearing EDMC's cookie, reentering account credentials and verification code.

Top Bottom