EDO numbers aren't actually as bad as I thought

It's the best one we have, the others are just trying to get clicks on their site by offering magic numbers they couldn't possibly know. If before Odyssey, i looked at steam stats and saw 10k players pretty much all the time, and now i'm seeing 6-7k players all the time, then that's good enough for me to assume that they've lost players.
We need all the numbers, console, pc, the full nine yards to know how it is.

You can't tell that from that metric. They maybe playing less, but still playing..as they are playing less, the concurrent numbers will go down.

Numbers have gone down, we just don't know how much.
From that statement, I'd say that y0u don't understand about statistics, sampling and probability. In order to say why the Steam charts are not representative of the whole population of players, you'd have to show why. An example, though not true, would be something like Steam players have more game-breaking problems, or that they have to pay per play when other players don't or something like that.

We know exactly how much Steam players have gone down because they give all the metrics, not just that chart, but that chart is very representative of the overall situation. The main thing is that however the players are counted, you can see that the number has reduced by 75% since May. Whatever metric of contemporary data you use, the reduction will be the same.

We need all the numbers, console, pc, the full nine yards to know how it is.
No we don't. we can get a good prediction of the other platforms from the Steam data unless you can show why Steam players would behave differently. In the case of the console players, there was nothing for them in the EDO release except a lot of problems. I would guess that there wouldn't be such a drastic reduction as other platforms, but they wouldn't have increased in May, so just a steady decline from some point previous.

Another way of gauging playing activity is the the number of interactions on the forum. Many of the sections are virtually dead. There is a lot of activity in the EDO sections, but a lot of it is people expressing dissatisfaction.

Meanwhile Frontier share price continues to fall. Now down by 30% since May.

Last edited:
No we don't. we can get a good prediction of the other platforms from the Steam data unless you can show why Steam players would behave differently. In the case of the console players, there was nothing for them in the EDO release except a lot of problems. I would guess that there wouldn't be such a drastic reduction as other platforms.

Another way of gauging playing activity is the the number of interactions on the forum. Many of the sections are virtually dead. There is a lot of activity in the EDO sections, but a lot of it is people expressing dissatisfaction.
Yes we do, guessing is not a very good methodology for gathering statistics data.

Yes we do, guessing is not a very good methodology for gathering statistics data.

Well guessing isn't good for gathering it, no. But we can extrapolate trends from a sample as long as the margin for error is taken into consideration.

For example the stats may show a downward trend but the weather's nice & a lot of places are coming out of lockdown so the hours people are spending playing games might be down across the board. That's something that can be tested to determine whether it's a significant factor or not.

From that statement, I'd say that y0u don't understand about statistics, sampling and probability. In order to say why the Steam charts are not representative of the whole population of players, you'd have to show why. An example, though not true, would be something like Steam players have more game-breaking problems, or that they have to pay per play when other players don't or something like that.

We know exactly how much Steam players have gone down because they give all the metrics, not just that chart, but that chart is very representative of the overall situation. The main thing is that however the players are counted, you can see that the number has reduced by 75% since May. Whatever metric of contemporary data you use, the reduction will be the same.
I'm sure what your saying has something to do with it, I'm sure this large football competition going on right now also has something to do with. There maybe many reasons, not just the expansion.

That's wh we take representative samples of the total base and use that to deduct trends. It's done everyday anywhere. From marketing to voting polls to consumer prefrence.
Steam is only a fragment of the player population, PC is divided in two, steam and frontier store, then there are consoles.

Crap in crap out, so if you want to check the temp regarding voting don't only ask one side as the result will be biased as we see it is many times.

Steam is only a fragment of the player population, PC is divided in two, steam and frontier store, then there are consoles.

Crap in crap out, so if you want to check the temp regarding voting don't only ask one side as the result will be biased as we see it is many times.
Steam represents a valid and potent sample of the player base to derive statistical figures from and predictz trends from. It doesn't matter it is only a fraction. Have you ever heard how statistics work?

if right, while not great, these numbers aren't super bad (especially considering the sad state of the game and the weirdness of so much effort spent on a worse UI and not AI crew in cabin, planetary issues etc.).

maybe not quite a crisis mode for FDev?
Of course not. We've know player counts and sales were high since Odyssey launched. All the people around here crying about how the game is dead are just the 1% of people who both A) are unhappy enough with the game to be vocal about it and B) also care enough or are obsessed enough to be vocal about it vs just playing something else and moving on.

Frontier forums and elite sub reddit are massively biased. Most typical players aren't posting on either of those. They're just playing the game and living their lives.

From reading the patch notes from today, in convinced that most casual players who pick it up are going to enjoy it. No maybe not for thousands of hours, but I think you'd be hard pressed not to get 40 to 100 hours out of it before you got bored or tired of grind. Which will make most people happy. Remember, AAA games are $60 and some as short as 10-12 hrs. That's the reason I'm not buying the new Resident Evil until it goes on sale. It's apparently only 14 hrs long. That's too short for $60 IMO.

I'm sure what your saying has something to do with it, I'm sure this large football competition going on right now also has something to do with. There maybe many reasons, not just the expansion.
The reduction has been more or less a constant 10% per week since the launch of EDO - nothing to do with football. Have a look for yourself. You don't seem to want to accept what the data is telling you. Nobody is saying that the expansion has caused the decline. The data is only showing that there is a decline. You have to find your own logical reasons, but obviously football isn't the it when it started on 20th May:

ED Chart.jpg

Last edited:
It's weird how the "Steamcharts is a meaningless metric" argument isn't trotted out whenever it shows a new high for player numbers 🤔
It's not meaningless, it's just a vertical snapshot, if it's high a lot of STEAM players play the game, if it's low steam players are not playing the game, it do not show us the overall players actually playing the game, so what you got is a trend not the actual picture.

if right, while not great, these numbers aren't super bad (especially considering the sad state of the game and the weirdness of so much effort spent on a worse UI and not AI crew in cabin, planetary issues etc.).

maybe not quite a crisis mode for FDev?
Those numbers are completely fictional. Peak WoW had around 12-14mill players during WotLK . Elite doesnt even come close to those numbers. Check the steam charts . 27k all time max, 6k AVERAGE since Odyssey. They killed the game.

Top Bottom