Abandoned EDPathFinder - planetary base data point scanning helper tool.

Hello! I'm proud to announce the first release of EDPathFinder, an application to facilitate farming of planetary base data points. It uses the data from the excellent spreadsheet by Cmdr dja - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IVPYPqXbqC7pYY2UggEXLSO0CMaE0ksZMB2Ejlh0aYI/

The application allows you to pick the materials you're interested in, as well as filter bases based on size and security level. You then pick your current location and number of bases you wish to visit.

RELEASE 1.3 NOTES

https://github.com/neotron/EDPathFinder/releases/tag/1.3.0

This release adds two new routing tools. Valuable exploration routing is used to create routes that hit a lot of high value systems (all already explored, so no first-explorer bonuses). It allows both circular and A->B routes (so you can make a valuable route to Colonia for example, although due to how systems are filtered, most systems would be around Colonia).

I also have a tool for custom routing where you can enter systems to route through manually. It can also load mission destination systems (note that a lot of missions don't have destinations in the journal - mainly delivery and courier missions show up).

RELEASE 1.1.2 NOTES

https://github.com/neotron/EDPathFinder/releases/tag/1.1.2

In this release I add additional filtering based on distance from the entry point. The distance data is rather incomplete, which means that a majority of all planets have unknown distances.

In addition to the distance filtering, you can now zoom the images (or use fixed sizing like in the previous release). This will in many cases allow you to see much better details in the maps.

RELEASE 1.1.1 NOTES

The main feature in this release is filtering of settlements based on journal scanning events (Issue #3, Issue #4). If enabled, settlements scanned within the last two weeks by the selected commander will be filtered out. In addition the following fixes and improvements were made:

• Support font/window scaling on Windows (Issue #2)
  • Make Threat Level filtering checkboxes to allow any combination of scanning.
  • Fix a bug where the settlement name was copied instead of the system name, when clicking on a system in the route list.
  • Limits route calculation time to 1 second. I found in testing that going from a few hundred ms to 17 seconds (for 100 systems) resulted in a route that was less than 10 ly shorter. It's not worth the extra time to get a "perfect" route when it's such a small difference.
  • Updates the current system (and commander name) based on journal parsing. This means it'll automatically start where you are right now when you make a new route.

Improved Image Viewer

• Images are scaled when the window is resized.
  • Select between all available images for a settlement.
  • Added map legend as an available image.
  • Disk cache to prevent having to download images repeatable.

MORE DETAILS

k1vK.png

An optimized travel path (using Traveling Sales Person solving) will be generated for you. As you click on a step in the list, the system name is copied to the clipboard and you'll see information about the base such as size, and known material drops. In addition a map/overview will be shown of the base to help with finding the datapoints.

1jXse.png

You can download it for Mac and Windows here:

https://github.com/neotron/EDPathFinder/releases/

Last edited:
Tested. Excellent!

Sure does look very useful, CMDR. I'll give it a spin in my next session.

Quick question: Is there a legend for the map?

Yep, more - in TWO variations - formal (also pdf version) and extended one.

OP: Also, maps sometimes exist in different variations (as with/without DAP path, sideviews) and some are multipart (for some large bases). May be a selector of what kind of a map commander want to see?

Awesome! I'll get this into a future version in some handy place. Also for the images, yes. Need to get a better image viewer but for now I just pick them in arbritrary order, for simplicity of UI.

Very nice. A suggestion would be to copy the system name instead of the settlement name to the clipboard as the galmap doesn't always find the settlement.

Very nice. A suggestion would be to copy the system name instead of the settlement name to the clipboard as the galmap doesn't always find the settlement.

That's what it's supposed to copy. If it's copying the settlement, I broke it in a recent refactoring and I'll make sure to fix it for the next release.

Edit: It was a bug - fixed it for the next release.

Last edited:
Nice tool! One recommendation on the Route Viewer, is it possible to make the center vertical line movable and/or have the base image scale? Basically, I am running on a portrait monitor and it cuts the image in half. Perhaps tool a horizonal scroll bar for the image may work as well.

Again, though great addition for locating where these data sources reside.

That's what it's supposed to copy. If it's copying the settlement, I broke it in a recent refactoring and I'll make sure to fix it for the next release.

Edit: It was a bug - fixed it for the next release.

In the current version, Ctrl-C will copy the system name. Until the new version is ready :)

Mind elaborating on how you think it should integrate with EDDB?

I can try.
Right now this is the form we use to input information about planetary settlements and there are many boxes that aren't being used that possibly could be.
The format that orbital outposts are displayed, with a map, may work well too. Example
Just an idea. Many thanks for the tool.

Planetary settlements ROSS.PNG

I can try.
Right now this is the form we use to input information about planetary settlements and there are many boxes that aren't being used that possibly could be.
The format that orbital outposts are displayed, with a map, may work well too. Example
Just an idea. Many thanks for the tool.

View attachment 114555

There is at least one problem that I see here. I've talked with commander Themroc (EDDB author) about necessity to add full planetary settlement's description (i.e including layout and subvariation) since february 2016. Since then settlements at least appear in the database, with the "size" parameter, and "security" - added a bit later. The problem here is that planetary layout is not an "in-game" parameter, and there are some difficulties to classify them. Also this data is not available on the log/journal level (FD decision by-design). Last (but not least) - EDDB author thinks that this info is not of interest for commanders =)

Last edited:
There is at least one problem that I see here. I've talked with commander Themroc (EDDB author) about necessity to add full planetary settlement's description (i.e including layout and subvariation) since february 2016. Since then settlements at least appear in the database, with the "size" parameter, and "security" - added a bit later. The problem here is that planetary layout is not an "in-game" parameter, and there are some difficulties to classify them. Also this data is not available on the log/journal level (FD decision by-design). Last (but not least) - EDDB author thinks that this info is not of interest for commanders =)

Well that's a shame.

I would think it would be an extremely useful function for commanders to have with all of the missions associated with settlements. Skimmers, Destroy the generator, Scan the beacon... I would have thought it would be of great interest to them if they knew that information was available.

In any case it was a thought. I'll still add the information to both as I can because I find it very valuable and hopefully others will too.

Thanks.

Nice tool! One recommendation on the Route Viewer, is it possible to make the center vertical line movable and/or have the base image scale? Basically, I am running on a portrait monitor and it cuts the image in half. Perhaps tool a horizonal scroll bar for the image may work as well.

Again, though great addition for locating where these data sources reside.

Next version makes the image viewer scalable.

Is there a key to the icons you've used? - sorry just seen previous post. Although, may I suggest including the key into the app?

Last edited:
Just released 1.1.1 - this greatly improves the image viewer including adding the map legend with all the icons and markings explains (thanks Dja). Lots of other improvements as well. Check it out!

This is a great tool, thank you!

Not sure if this has been mentioned but would it be possible to filter by settlement type (refinery, military, scientific) so only these settlements are included in search results??

Top Bottom