EDProfiler - A New Display Switcher/Robust Settings Profiler/Switcher/Detector!

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find it;

Just downloaded this and played around with some settings (mostly involving the HUD) but the most important setting (I think?) that I have set is "VR/3D" which I have set to "Off". When I launch E:D through the Profiler it comes up with the normal launcher, but then during the launch process it starts up my Windows Mixed Reality and SteamVR start up (and my headset displays a blank space).

The game starts normally on my monitor and everythings works as normal - until my VR headset goes into sleep mode, at which point the game crashes to desktop with no warning.

If I launch the game through the normal launcher, this doesn't happen (and WMR and SteamVR don't start up at all)

Any idea why this is happening and how I can stop it?

Just downloaded this and played around with some settings (mostly involving the HUD) but the most important setting (I think?) that I have set is "VR/3D" which I have set to "Off". When I launch E:D through the Profiler it comes up with the normal launcher, but then during the launch process it starts up my Windows Mixed Reality and SteamVR start up (and my headset displays a blank space).

The game starts normally on my monitor and everythings works as normal - until my VR headset goes into sleep mode, at which point the game crashes to desktop with no warning.

If I launch the game through the normal launcher, this doesn't happen (and WMR and SteamVR don't start up at all)

I don't launch Elite through EDProfiler so I can't remember how this is configured but is it possible to specify command line options to the launcher? When I'm launching ED for non-VR gameplay I use a separate desktop shortcut which has the /novr option added (which I suspect would fix your problem). Is it possible to get EDProfiler to add this option when VR/3D is off?

Hi

I released an update to get the Tone MApping stuff working regionally - commas for decimal places or whatever your region uses.

I will answer the above questions on sunday hopefully, just need to go now!

Did a clean install of EDP, but now I'm getting an error on startup. Also, doesn't seem to install the desktop shortcut anymore, I have to run the setup to start EDP. And applying any settings will again give me an error. On Finnish localization, if that's any help...

EDIT: Nevermind. I completely removed everything related to EDP and reinstalled, seems to work now.

Last edited:
Hi

I released an update to get the Tone MApping stuff working regionally - commas for decimal places or whatever your region uses.

I will answer the above questions on sunday hopefully, just need to go now!

The issue is not yet fully resolved. The "Apply" button in the tone mapping dialog works fine now. However if i use the "Apply" button on the main menu to activate a profile with tone mapping enabled, it still writes the wrong values to the file.

https://i.imgur.com/cFBuJtd.png

I am trying to use the app (just got a VR Heaset) but keep getting an error on startup:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "Ultra" to type 'Integer' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(String Value)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(Object Value)
at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.ListBox_Profiles_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.EDPMainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8933 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
EDProfiler
Assembly Version: 3.1.3.18
Win32 Version: 3.1.3.18
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Bob.Doxidaddy/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/WEGQ61WW.20T/49NKWWOH.4HK/edpr..tion_8fee7e9465259bde_0003.0001_be69ff8c2267e540/EDProfiler.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml.Linq
Assembly Version: 3.5.0.0
Win32 Version: 3.5.30729.8931 built by: WinRelRS4
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Deployment
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Have removed and reinstalled the app to no avail - any suggestions?

Hi, the only possible thing I can think of is that somehow your system starts ED Launcher with some command line command, so if you open it with EDProfiler, it won't run that command and then Elite will start without whatever it is that withholds WMR from launching. This is highly speculative and seems extremely unlikely - otherwise it's utterly impossible that EDProfiler is causing this issue. My advice, don't use EDP to open Elite's launcher anymore, I don't personally (for no particular reason). I strongly doubt I'll be able to help with this one I'm afraid. What headset have you got then?

Did a clean install of EDP, but now I'm getting an error on startup. Also, doesn't seem to install the desktop shortcut anymore, I have to run the setup to start EDP. And applying any settings will again give me an error. On Finnish localization, if that's any help...

EDIT: Nevermind. I completely removed everything related to EDP and reinstalled, seems to work now.
Interesting, as my wife is from Finland, I gravitated towards testing EDP under Finnish region :)

The issue is not yet fully resolved. The "Apply" button in the tone mapping dialog works fine now. However if i use the "Apply" button on the main menu to activate a profile with tone mapping enabled, it still writes the wrong values to the file.

https://i.imgur.com/cFBuJtd.png
Thanks for this, I've just released an update that makes this not happen for me. To be honest though, I think I just went round in a circle and didn't change anything, so please test and get back to me. What region are you using?
EDIT: Something stalled the update, try again if you did already

I am trying to use the app (just got a VR Heaset) but keep getting an error on startup:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.
************** Exception Text **************
System.InvalidCastException: Conversion from string "Ultra" to type 'Integer' is not valid. ---> System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ParseDouble(String Value, NumberFormatInfo NumberFormat)
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at Microsoft.VisualBasic.CompilerServices.Conversions.ToInteger(Object Value)
at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.ListBox_Profiles_SelectedIndexChanged(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at EDProfiler.EDPMainForm.EDPMainForm_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.EventHandler.Invoke(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnLoad(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnCreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl(Boolean fIgnoreVisible)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.CreateControl()
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmShowWindow(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.8933 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
EDProfiler
Assembly Version: 3.1.3.18
Win32 Version: 3.1.3.18
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Bob.Doxidaddy/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/WEGQ61WW.20T/49NKWWOH.4HK/edpr..tion_8fee7e9465259bde_0003.0001_be69ff8c2267e540/EDProfiler.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.8922 (WinRelRS4.050727-8900)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
System.Xml.Linq
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml.Linq/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.Linq.dll
System.Deployment
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/3.5.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.
For example:
<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>
When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Have removed and reinstalled the app to no avail - any suggestions?
Hi, this one beats me so please email me everything: My Documents\EDProfiler, and your entire C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\ folder (zip them up) to kaii@dr.com and I will have a look over the next day or so

Hi, the only possible thing I can think of is that somehow your system starts ED Launcher with some command line command, so if you open it with EDProfiler, it won't run that command and then Elite will start without whatever it is that withholds WMR from launching. This is highly speculative and seems extremely unlikely - otherwise it's utterly impossible that EDProfiler is causing this issue. My advice, don't use EDP to open Elite's launcher anymore, I don't personally (for no particular reason). I strongly doubt I'll be able to help with this one I'm afraid. What headset have you got then?
I've got a Dell Visor.

If it's any help, the desktop shortcut that ED installs will only launch the game in Screen mode; if I want to play it in VR I have to load up WMR and Steam VR first then go through the steam library and actually click on "Play in VR" to use the headset. That's why I was suprised when EDProfiler loaded up WMR and SteamVR by itself.

I can use the usual launcher, no big deal.

Incidentally, if you have VR, what HUD settings (if you use any of the ones supplied with EDProfiler) do you use?

I've got a Dell Visor.

If it's any help, the desktop shortcut that ED installs will only launch the game in Screen mode; if I want to play it in VR I have to load up WMR and Steam VR first then go through the steam library and actually click on "Play in VR" to use the headset. That's why I was suprised when EDProfiler loaded up WMR and SteamVR by itself.

I can use the usual launcher, no big deal.

Incidentally, if you have VR, what HUD settings (if you use any of the ones supplied with EDProfiler) do you use?
Well my main one is the Spiritual Teal one, but I am starting to create profiles for each ship, and probably going to be dabbling in a different HUD per ship. VR doesn't need any specific colours these days imo

Everything seems to be working fine now with tone mapping profiles. Thanks!
Excellent! A job well done is very satisfying.

Ok another update, this time I've added a randomizer to help you find cool new tone maps, like the inverted ones I found and included :)

It has a back and forward option so you can cycle through what you've found. I've also added this functionality to the color matrix editor's randomizer too (and made it even more random).

And yes, I am planning on making a tool that lets to take notes INSIDE elite and saves them automatically for you in text files for latter sorting. WATCH THIS SPACE FOR AWESOMENESS

U1wddWd.png

Ok another update, this time I've added a randomizer to help you find cool new tone maps, like the inverted ones I found and included
Thanks for continuing to work on this utility!

FYI - The "tooltip" help for the Randomizer button says "Open Profiles' folder".

Did you see my note below on the idea of EDP spotting that the VR/3D setting is off and automatically injecting the "/novr" command line option into the ED launch command? Just a thought on a tiny EDP QoL tweak.

Dr. Kaii
Thank you for a great application and your continued dedication to it.
I recently experimented with Oculus_Debug SUper Sampling and ED's Super Sampling and I discovered that by setting ED's SS to .5 (lowest) and Oculus_Debug SS to 2.0 (max) I attain great picture clarity in VR (Rift), in fact the results are breath taking, so good that I'm in love with VR all over again. By setting SS in Oculus_debug I increased the Headroom of my GPU (1080Ti) substantially.

My question is, would it be possible to include in EDP the ability to set Oculus_Debug's SS permanently ?. this would obviate the necessity of opening yet another app in order to get ED running.

Link to my post about GPU headroom,
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...tting-SS-in-Oculus-Debug-than-in-ED-why-F-Dev

My ED VR settings are everything max except for.
Bloom = Off
Blur = Off
HMD = 1.75
SS = .5
Terrain Work slider = Half (mid)

Many thanks for your time.

The VR picture is truly beautiful and smooth as butter.

Well my main one is the Spiritual Teal one

I tried this for the first time last night and the reduction in eye strain I feel was measureable.

With the default orange scheme and brightness I began to experience discomfort and eye strain after a few short missions but with the spiritual teal and brightness turned down I was able to lose half a day without noticing. I think that's a pretty big improvement. Much appreciated Dr Kaii!

Oculus_Debug SS to 2.0 (max) I attain great picture clarity in VR (Rift)

My ED VR settings are everything max except for.
HMD = 1.75

Bit puzzled why you would set the in-game HMD IQ to 1.75 when you have the debug tool set to 2.0? As they are, to all intents and purposes, the same thing - I'm not 100% sure but I believe the in-game setting will override whatever is in the debug tool.

p.s. if you haven't already I would recommend clicking the Unlock button on the Model Draw Distance and setting that to the max as I found that to make a noticeable difference in VR and your 1080ti should be able to cope with it no problem (based on my experience with a 1080).

Top Bottom