Release EDRefCard - makes a printable reference card of your controller bindings

@VerticalBlank, +1 for taking this on. just wondering if there is a recognition distinction between the Xbox and Xbox elite controller. was perusing through the saved bindings, and couldn't find anything referecing the elite controller. thoughts?

It would depend on whether they have the same device ID. The only way to know for sure is to set up some bindings for it and see how EDRefCard responds to them.

Love the tool, thank you so much for your work on it.

Question: in today's digital age, where many of us have multiple monitors ... any chance of having a "dark mode" reference card? I like to have a copy of the image open on my 2nd monitor for quick reference, and it kills my night/flight vision with all of the white. I'm not a fan of printing things out.

Dark mode is doable, though it does mean me going through 38 files of source artwork and flipping the colours over. Given the photographic nature of most of the images, I think the background would need to be grey rather than black, perhaps something like 75% grey would work. I'd have to experiment a bit.

The buttons on the VKB Gladiator MkII are incorrect. The trigger is not button 1. The trigger is like button 14.

Buttons are as follows:

Button DescriptionButton Number
Flaps nearest Throttle1
Other Flaps Button2
A13
A24
A35
B16
B27
B38
C19
C210
C311
Start12
Eject13
Fire Mode 114
Fire Mode 1 Shift15
Fire Mode 216
Fire Mode 2 Shift17
Secondary Fire Mode 118
Secondary Fire Mode 1 Shift19
Secondary Fire Mode 220
Secondary Fire Mode 2 Shift21
Mode 1 Hat Up Shift22
Mode 1 Hat Down Shift23
Mode 1 Hat Left Shift24
Mode 1 Hat Fight Shift25
Mode 2 Hat Up Shift26
Mode 2 Hat Down Shift27
Mode 2 Hat Left Shift28
Mode 2 Hat Right Shift29
Mode Button30

Also, the hat doesn't seem to care which mode it's in when it isn't shifted. While I thought there would be 2 logical hats, it appears there's only 1. I assigned the unshifted hat in mode 1 and then switched to Mode 2 and when I tried to assign the unshifted hat, the game reported a conflict. I've looked at the VKBDevCfg program and while it does show 2 POV's 1 is disabled and there is no way to enable it. So there is only 1 logical hat. Mode 2 on the hat is the same as mode 1.

Edit: 2 logical hats are possible, but it requires editing the device setting with VKBDevCfg. By default, there is only 1 logical hat. This can be changed. A video to the procedure is linked below
https://yadi.sk/i/208h550sCGEnjQ

So it is possible for there to be 2 logical POV hats. But the buttons are still as indicated in the table above.

Last edited:
Is this being worked on? Just curious as there has been no reply.

I won't lie. My commitments on EDDI and SAGi have left me only few spare cycles to spend on EDRefCard beyond bare site maintenance.

To be completely honest: constructing the necessary vector graphics doc for each new device, with callout boxes in a separate layer, and all the co-ordinates of each box expressed in code as a mapping to each DirectX button ID, isn't something that I relish tackling. While I have licences for Affinity Designer and Sketch, I'd rather fight a Thargoid while in a Hauler.

I'm going to make some changes to the repo to document a way for people well-versed in vector graphic design to make contributions that I can then roll into the code.

I won't lie. My commitments on EDDI and SAGi have left me only few spare cycles to spend on EDRefCard beyond bare site maintenance.

To be completely honest: constructing the necessary vector graphics doc for each new device, with callout boxes in a separate layer, and all the co-ordinates of each box expressed in code as a mapping to each DirectX button ID, isn't something that I relish tackling. While I have licences for Affinity Designer and Sketch, I'd rather fight a Thargoid while in a Hauler.

I'm going to make some changes to the repo to document a way for people well-versed in vector graphic design to make contributions that I can then roll into the code.

I completely understand. Any new devices are going to be slow to be released. This one however already has the vector graphics done for it and has been released. It simply has the wrong buttons assigned. I have saved a sheet with the wrong settings if you want to look at it. In the list it is labeled "VKB Gladiator MKII Wrong button assignments (dev reference)" (without the quotes).

Aha, that's much easier. I can tackle that one then when I boot into MacOS tomorrow to fix the site's certbot (I still prefer MacOS for web dev and graphical stuff).

Note to self: https://edrefcard.info/binds/tkljri

Views ref card

Wow. That's some A-grade Sim kit. I am in awe.

Last edited:
Aha, that's much easier. I can tackle that one then when I boot into MacOS tomorrow to fix the site's certbot (I still prefer MacOS for web dev and graphical stuff).

Note to self: https://edrefcard.info/binds/tkljri

Views ref card

Wow. That's some A-grade Sim kit. I am in awe.

Thanks. I like it. Seems to work fairly well, although I'm going to be changing the Orbit lines and external camera on the side panel. I never have an occasion to turn off the orbits and I can map the ext. cam to a base button on the stick. Also going to be adding a throttle when I can shake loose the coin for a 2nd desk mount.

Last edited:
This stuff is incredibly helpful, thanks a lot! Any way one could donate to the cause?

One thing I am sorely missing: also have it print the assigned name ED recognises the buttons as. With the X56 there is no differentiation between the two controllers when it comes to which is throttle and which is stick - all buttons simply list as "JOY X". Having ED joy button printed on the card too would be extremely helpful.

This stuff is incredibly helpful, thanks a lot! Any way one could donate to the cause?

One thing I am sorely missing: also have it print the assigned name ED recognises the buttons as. With the X56 there is no differentiation between the two controllers when it comes to which is throttle and which is stick - all buttons simply list as "JOY X". Having ED joy button printed on the card too would be extremely helpful.

It's not just the X56. Seems to be all HOTAS's. Even with the Side Panel, each button is labeled "Joy X" as are the Stick buttons of the Gladiator; in the control binding screen of the game, that is. It's listed in the bindings file but the game doesn't list devices on the control page other than "Joy" or Keyboard keys.

It's not just the X56. Seems to be all HOTAS's. Even with the Side Panel, each button is labeled "Joy X" as are the Stick buttons of the Gladiator; in the control binding screen of the game, that is. It's listed in the bindings file but the game doesn't list devices on the control page other than "Joy" or Keyboard keys.

Yes, this is also true for in-game display on the FSS, DSS, etc. It gives just the button name without the device name. Most annoying, as a binding consists of both a device ID AND a button or axis ID.

Working for me now. I got a site cannot be found, but I was using my phone as a mobile hotspot. Maybe that has something to do with it. Thanks!

Unknown controller detected: qwxiwx - Thrustmaster Cougar (stick and throttle) + CH rudder pedals.

I too would appreciate a dark mode. And the support questions link at the bottom of the page doesn't go to this thread; I imagine it goes to an old forum.

Do you confuse your lights with

your landing gear? Or maybe you've

just splurged on a new HOTAS and

are looking for a decent control set?

Either way, EDRefCard

has your back!

EDRefCard is a website that can take your custom bindings file and generate a beautiful printable reference card for both your keyboard and controller, be it a gamepad, joystick or HOTAS.

The reference cards are high-resolution for printing, and can optionally be filtered by control group and/or colour-coded by control group or modifier key -- yes, bindings that use modifier keys are fully supported!

You also have the option to save your bindings, which can be useful both as a backup and to sync across more than one computer. Saved bindings are public and browsable via a (currently rather primitive) listing.

EDRefCard will also warn you of the slip-up of binding an analog axis to a digital input when there is an analog input available.

While there is currently no way to upload the bindings files from a game console, I do always maintain the game's default bindings schemes on the site, currently under names starting "3.3 default", and those include the standard XBox and PS4 schemes.

In case you were wondering, yes EDRefCard is the successor site to the reference card generator originally written by CMDR jgm, handed over with his blessing. The old thread is here.
Thank you so much for the VB. Wish I had found this thread before. I've had my bindings wiped out twice now and reverted to default. Still don't know why that happened. But now I have a record. Excellent

Top Bottom