Release EDRefCard - makes a printable reference card of your controller bindings

just make a fork and do it

... or you can contribute.

It so happens that I just finished integrating support for the Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas (not to be confused with the Cougar MFD), thanks to grue74, who apparently prefers contributing over whining.

It's currently on the beta server:

Any Cougar Hotas owners please test away!

Edit: sorry for the snark but it is a bit much when I take on maintenance responsibility and server costs for a project that would otherwise have been abandoned, devote free time to updating the code base, add prompt support for all new key binds added to the game, and still apparently I am not doing enough.

I'm afraid I long ago stopped listening to those who are given a freebie and proceed to whine about how it didn't come with ice cream on top.

I've just stayed up past 1 am integrating the Cougar Hotas. A little gratitude would be appreciated.

Last edited:

...............t it is a bit much when I take on maintenance responsibility and server costs for a project that would otherwise have been abandoned, devote free time to updating the code base, add prompt support for all new key binds added to the game, and still apparently I am not doing enough.

Hear, hear - some people are complete idiots. Your work is indeed well regarded so just ignore pillocks. (y)

3DConnexion_SpaceMouse_Compact.jpg

This wasn't recognised in my bindings, reference "cfdrgp"

It's a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Compact. This image is from Amazon, found by searching Google with "Labelled for reuse" set.

It is a 6DOF controller... the vertically ridged cap supports axes Up/Down, Left/Right, Forward/Backward, Roll, Pitch and Yaw. It has a button on each side... the one on the left is clearly visible, but the one on the right is only just visible on this image.

I'm using it via ControlMyJoystick as a proxy, which is necessary to make it useable, otherwise connecting it directly leads to spurious input and an unplayable game... since FDev haven't bothered adding the SDK for it to ED to make it natively supported despite my asking more than a year ago.

View attachment 162058

It's a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Compact.
Awesome device!

I'm using it via ControlMyJoystick as a proxy, which is necessary to make it useable, otherwise connecting it directly leads to spurious input and an unplayable game... since FDev haven't bothered adding the SDK for it to ED to make it natively supported despite my asking more than a year ago.
OK that's a bit of a nope. If you ae mapping it to another device, then EDRefCard cannot see that.

My set-up is a straight nope from EDRefCard.
20191124_000000-1024X768.jpg

It would be unreasonable of me to ask you to support that, and it would be unreasonable for you to add such unique bespoke controllers to your database.

Would it be possible to either show unknown controllers as a textual table or allow users to supply a plug-in configuration file?

Would it be possible to either show unknown controllers as a textual table or allow users to supply a plug-in configuration file?
A textual table is not a bad idea, let me think it over.

Not sure how a plug-in configuration file would work with a web service and I'm reluctant to introduce complications. Despite my efforts with adding some structure and unit tests to the codebase, it remains a bit too amorphous for that to be an easy change.

View attachment 162058

It's a 3DConnexion SpaceMouse Compact.
Would that be https://www.tetherscript.com/controlmyjoystick/ ?
Unfortunately this is a bit difficult as things stand, because the script uses the device IDs to identify which device to use, and going thru ControlMyJoystick introduces a synthetic device ID.

I get similar problems with 3rd party software such as Thrustmaster's TARGET, and Joystick Curves.

It's got to the point where I'm considering adding an optional "device type override" field. Or possbly two for throttle-and-stick and stick-and-stick.

The question is how to do that in a user-friendly manner, particularly for the two-device case.

I really find this site useful and have even uploaded my profile for my controller. But, the one thing that drives me nuts is the profile download area and the numbers of profiles folks have uploaded. Some have one letter names, there is even one with an advertizement for insurance or something and some are just there because the author made one change to a button and uploaded every version he went through. Along with no search capability (and I can see why with the numbers of redundant profiles available) it's just hard to find what your looking for. With the beauty of the rest of the site, the profile download page needs to be cleaned up, with duplicate names removed by the same author and someone needs to actually look at the existing profiles and determine if the profile warrants posting in the first place. I have watched it for years now and it just gets worse every year.

Some of the profiles are truely outstanding and these should be highlighted and sorted. I realize the author of the site is pressed for time and has other commitments and the main portion of the site is under source control, but please, give the profile availability section some love.
It's a fair point, and it's more of a social problem than a coding problem. it's something that I've been aware of for a while.

As things stand, the site is stateless and records precisely zero information about you when you add a refcard. This lets me do without any form of sign-in etc, avoiding a whole host of burden that I'd really rather do without.

To state the obvious, if I wanted to allow users to overwrite existing profiles then I'd have to implement some form of sign-in. That, to be honest, is the point at which I'd be looking to hand over the site to someone better versed in such matters.

Granted. If it were my job to clean it up, I think I would wade through them, take the best one from each controller manufacturer, dump the rest, get rid of the upload process all together and offer a "base" profile for that controller manufacturer as a "start point" for anyone downloading it. Your then welcome modify it if it works well for you and if you want to offer it to other folks some other place, like your personal cloud share, fine. Your job becomes one of just offering one "base" controller profile for each manufacturer instead of an unmonitored profile dump site your not interested in being burdened with. All the profiles then become static. If you add support for a new device, then let a few profiles be added for a short while, pick the best one, then close the upload and offer it as the "base" profile and let folks modify it as they see fit.

EDIT: As well as doing the above, you can then list them all to match the supported device list, click on that supported device, see the profile being offered, download it and modify it at your convienance. No need for searches or site maintenance at all. If I were offering profiles and I have for twenty years on my on site, which is now gone, that's what I did. I used to support all flight simulators from the Jane's series, MSFS series, and a few others. I collected all of them from CD's and other postings. Some folks sent me a few, but hosting costs vs. the numbers of downloads, and game changes to support controllers natively, put me out of my hobby.

Thank you, that is food for thought. That approach does of course cut off my other vision for the site, that of being a repository and backup for users with very custom bindings. I need to reflect on that.

For myself, all I'm interested in is a neat reference for my particular bindings. I'm not interested in what anyone else has or a recommended set-up.

Having said that, I've never successfully used the site. The first time it didn't recognise my cheapo Thrustmaster USB joystick. The second time it didn't recognise my custom control panel. Even if it had worked, I might only visit once or twice a year. So I might not be the audience that you are looking for.

I really find this site useful and have even uploaded my profile for my controller. But, the one thing that drives me nuts is the profile download area and the numbers of profiles folks have uploaded. ........
To state the obvious, if I wanted to allow users to overwrite existing profiles then I'd have to implement some form of sign-in. That, to be honest, is the point at which I'd be looking to hand over the site to someone better versed in such matters.

I suppose this could be mitigated by the production of a separate "recomended profiles" list. Perhaps a selection of profiles considered useful references (or examplars) for different controller setups, ensuring that only up-to-date examples are included.

I suppose this could be mitigated by the production of a separate "recomended profiles" list. Perhaps a selection of profiles considered useful references (or examplars) for different controller setups, ensuring that only up-to-date examples are included.
That's not a bad thought. I already have all the game's default bindings in the repo -- not that I'd call many of them recommended! Adding a 'recommended' flag to the exisiting storage wouldn't be stretch.

Let me reflect on it. There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Last edited:
If ya don't mind some input from a returning player(took a year or so off), maybe offer users registration only on the upload portion? It'd be a lot simpler and a simple user registration login system is rather simple.

Hey absolutely love this tool! Comes in handy as I help my younger brothers with Elite and we all have different HOTAS systems so it's great being able to alt tab out when they ask me what button is for what on their computers and I can take a look at their setup with a quick glance.

Anyway, was wondering if you could add support for this controller: https://www.nacongaming.com/actuali...ontroller-for-ps4-a-new-revolution-is-coming/

I get this error on the page when using it: "You have a device that is not supported at this time. Please report details of your device by following the link at the bottom of this page supplying the reference "wwelwc" and we will attempt to add support for it."

It's an Xbox style controller for the PS4. It doesn't need to have it's own image or anything. If it could be just detected as an Xbox One controller it would be enough as that's all it is when using it on the PC.

Thanks again for making this tool!

If ya don't mind some input from a returning player(took a year or so off), maybe offer users registration only on the upload portion? It'd be a lot simpler and a simple user registration login system is rather simple.

We devs love it when a non-developer describes a task as "simple". Actually no we don't.

EDRefCard intentionally eschews all user-identifying data including sign-in, and thus also cookies, to keep the site simple and free of all GDPR, cookie consent, and privacy policy requirements. Sites such as EDSM and Inara need to jump that hoop but EDRefCard doesn't.

The trade-off is a messy list view but I can live with that.

Anyway, was wondering if you could add support for this controller: https://www.nacongaming.com/actuali...ontroller-for-ps4-a-new-revolution-is-coming/

I get this error on the page when using it: "You have a device that is not supported at this time. Please report details of your device by following the link at the bottom of this page supplying the reference "wwelwc" and we will attempt to add support for it."

It's an Xbox style controller for the PS4. It doesn't need to have it's own image or anything.

Yep, adding a new DeviceID to a family with an existing graphic and the same button IDs is very straightforward. Please upload your config to <https://beta.edrefcard.info>, supplying a description so that it is saved, and let me know the resulting URL. I can take it from there.

Here is the URL: https://beta.edrefcard.info/binds/kmthyy

I use a Logitech X-56 for flight. The gamepad is only used for SRV controls.

Thanks!
Got it. Turns out that I had mis-read the code and adding a new DeviceID to a family wasn't as straightforward as it first appeared (yay undocumented legacy code).

Despite my efforts to tame the codebase and add unit tests, it is at heart a Python script that massively outgrew its initial purpose. There are no classes or other organisation, just a mess of badly named dictionaries.

I hope to sort out the immediate issues, but it I am sensing that it may be time to see if another dev can take the ideas behind the code and implement it better.

Here is the URL https://beta.edrefcard.info/binds/xkqfxn (URL updated)

I am using a CH Pro Throttle and a Logitech Wingman Extreme joystick (in my binds file as Device="046DC207").

This is an image of the joystick
1585602360901.png

Button 1 is the trigger, button 2/3 is left of the HAT, button 4/5 is right of the HAT (2 and 5 are the top of each pair), button 6 is on the corner of the base, button 7 is between 6 and the stick. The HAT makes up the rest of the buttons. The stick has X,Y, twist(Z) and a throttle-like axis (RXAxis).

Last edited:
Top Bottom