Release EDSM - Elite Dangerous Star Map

Hi fellow explorers,
We have now release the new temple (www.the-temple.de) front end to collect distances and calculate coordinates of Elite Dangerous systems.

http://www.edsm.net/

As some of you may know the current tool named EDSC is currently on hold with some flaws in the process.

Commander Inhumierer has done a wonderful job to make a great replacement tool and I helped him to make a good UI and some performance improvements.

Features
- Submit distances
- Calculate system coordinates based on submitted distances
- Show system distances
- Check for suspicious distances
- API
- Auto correct systems name spelling (98% over 600k references)
- Record flight logs
- Flight logs syncing with API
- Private comment syncing with API
- Public profile
- Traffic report

Features incoming
- Have some ideas?

FAQ
To be redacted - You may ask your question and we will edit to give you an answer.

Tools using the API
- EDDiscovery by Finwen
- Ed-Systems by RedWizzard
- EDDB by themroc
- EDMC
- edproxy by Gen.Fussypants

Key dates
- 2016/01/21 => 2M Flight Logs
​- 2016/02/19 => 100 000 coordinates found
​- 2016/01/24 => 500 000 distances submitted
​- 2016/01/19 => 1M Flight Logs
- 2015/10/22 => 250 000 distances submitted
- 2015/11/10 => 50 000 coordinates found

Weekly Reports
- 2016/03/11 => https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179063&page=43&p=3666114#post3666114
- 2016/03/18 => https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179063&page=46&p=3688589#post3688589
- 2016/03/25 => https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=179063&page=47&p=3709661#post3709661

Attachments

• home-75.png
    home-75.png
    171.5 KB · Views: 8,582
  • show-distances-75.jpg
    show-distances-75.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 8,649
  • suspicious-distances-75.png
    suspicious-distances-75.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 8,283
  • needed-distances-75.png
    needed-distances-75.png
    231.6 KB · Views: 8,220
Last edited:
Sounds cool, will definitly try it when back.
I had to do a long sitting in Daedalus to calculate distance from Sol of hundreds of entries of my database once.
Also with the bugged search function of the ingame gal map your tool might help a lot

Ups, I'm a bit too late to catch the 2nd post for editing... ;)
No worries. EDSM is doing pretty well, and everyone who was using EDSC as a source for coordinates or for submitting distances should take a look at our API doc to switch to the EDSM API. Submitting distances is pretty easy if you were used to EDSC because the submitted parameters are identical.
If you miss some function in the API for querying some information, feel free to ask.

Edit: CMDR Anthor was generous and booked the domain edsm.net - EDSM resides there, now. Tnx to him! The new API & web FE is in place. All old API calls are redirected & reformatted, so all tools using the old API should still work with the new API, and will probably do in future. Take a look, it has become very nice: EDSM - the place to search for coordinates and dump distances.

Last edited:
Getting 0 new systems from EDSM in ED Discovery startup. Ideas?

Hi,
Which version of EDDiscovery are you using?
We have run a bunch of test with Finwen to ensure the transition works great, and all found bugs were corrected.

Does EDDiscovery have a debug function?

Just started porting my stuff to EDSM and I'm getting cross domain request errors with the new site. I'm pretty sure this was working correctly with the-temple.de. Inhumierer, I think we had a PM conversation about this before, so hopefully it's easy to resolve.

Once CORS requests are working properly I'll get a new version of my pages done which will use EDSM as the primary datasource. I'll probably drop support for EDSC/TGC sometime soon.

Just started porting my stuff to EDSM and I'm getting cross domain request errors with the new site. I'm pretty sure this was working correctly with the-temple.de. Inhumierer, I think we had a PM conversation about this before, so hopefully it's easy to resolve.

Once CORS requests are working properly I'll get a new version of my pages done which will use EDSM as the primary datasource. I'll probably drop support for EDSC/TGC sometime soon.

Hi RedWizzard,
Do you have something where I can test?

They must have something missing in the vHost for EDSM.net

EDIT: Just added the appropriate headers, can you confirm it's working again?

Last edited:
Hi RedWizzard,
Do you have something where I can test?

They must have something missing in the vHost for EDSM.net

EDIT: Just added the appropriate headers, can you confirm it's working again?

Yes, it's working now, thanks! I was just putting a simple test together for you and had a little confused moment since it worked fine.

Last edited:
Hi, I've not used this new tool, but I do use EDDiscovery and I've entered some new stars to the EDSC database before, but I got frustrated by having to enter 20 or so distances before my entry was accurate enough in the core, and I knew that took even longer out on the rim.

I was wondering if you'd be able to more quicky improve the number of good 'known' datums that are used by selecting 10 or so uncharted stars per day, in locations that you chose, and then asking every user to enter distances to those 10 stars the first time they've manually added a star that day.

Then every day you would have accurate distances to your 'stars of the day' from the already plotted locations of every active user.

By targetting these stars around locations where users are currently having the most difficulty manually entering new stars themselves, you'd then have good datums nearby to help out the users who are trying the hardest to help you.

I'm going to try out the new tool next time I go out exploring (hopefully next week), I'll try not to get frustrated this time. :)

Last edited:
It's perfectly ok to enter new systems and their distances in RedWizzard's page or EDDiscovery. Both transmit to EDSM, so it's not a new tool. It's "only" a frontend where you can check your and others distances, correct them (if needed) and enter new ones. It may help when EDDiscovery or others need too many distances as it may calculate with less distances. And it may identify wrong distances. AnthorNet did a very good job at pointing to probably wrong distances.

- - - Updated - - -

Inhumierer, I think we had a PM conversation about this before, so hopefully it's easy to resolve.

Sorry for that. Probably I've missed something. AnthorNet already resolved that, tnx man!

Hey guys, I'm getting a "500 internal server error" when trying to fetch all the distance data with submitted=1. I know that's a pretty horrible thing to ask of the server, but I wouldn't do it very often, and I can't think of an easy way to do it in chunks short of asking for each system's distances individually (which would be worse). I suspect php is running out of ram.

Hey guys, I'm getting a "500 internal server error" when trying to fetch all the distance data with submitted=1. I know that's a pretty horrible thing to ask of the server, but I wouldn't do it very often, and I can't think of an easy way to do it in chunks short of asking for each system's distances individually (which would be worse). I suspect php is running out of ram.

Hi,
yes it is taking ages ^^ And running out of memory :)

Looking to what can be done.

by Grabthar's hammer....

99b9950f3d7efddf6ec4ffde16a0489c6429e4098b685fffed6f321b9bd130ce.jpg

I wonder if it should help you to request multiple times with an argument similar to startdatetime called enddatetime?

The fix is temporary I think, with more distances it will tend to return one day or the other.

For some reason, ever since the release of this, I have not been able to log a single system in my region (over 60k Ly from Sol) I have logged many before (including one at just over 65k Ly).

If you zoom all the way out on the map in eD Discovery, way way past Sag A, right on the rim there are a bunch of systems tracing the arc of the spiral arm - that's me...

Z...

For some reason, ever since the release of this, I have not been able to log a single system in my region (over 60k Ly from Sol) I have logged many before (including one at just over 65k Ly).

If you zoom all the way out on the map in eD Discovery, way way past Sag A, right on the rim there are a bunch of systems tracing the arc of the spiral arm - that's me...

Z...

Hi do you have any example?

And where did you enter your distances?

EDIT: Here the latest distances we have received from you: http://www.edsm.net/show-system/index/id/68683/name/Iorady+QJ-I+d9-2
And we have the coordinates calculated

Last edited:
I wonder if it should help you to request multiple times with an argument similar to startdatetime called enddatetime?

The fix is temporary I think, with more distances it will tend to return one day or the other.

Yes, an enddatetime would work. That's the solution I thought up too. But you can probably make it a low priority as I shouldn't need to do this sort of full request again. Once my code has a cached copy it will just request incremental data.

Top Bottom