Newcomer / Intro Elite: Dangerous – a comprehensive beginner’s guide [Beyond 3.3 edition]

I am liking the Guide so far. I have, however, found one problem so far, and this is related to the docking computers. You state the following;

"Both of these computers fully automate the landing process and kick in as soon as docking permission is granted. "

This is somewhat inaccurate. It should read;

"Both of these computers fully automate the landing process and kick in as soon as docking permission is granted and the throttle is set to zero. "

Saying that, keep up with the good work. It will DEFINITELY help new Players to get a better grasp of the game.

I am liking the Guide so far. I have, however, found one problem so far, and this is related to the docking computers. You state the following;

"Both of these computers fully automate the landing process and kick in as soon as docking permission is granted. "

This is somewhat inaccurate. It should read;

"Both of these computers fully automate the landing process and kick in as soon as docking permission is granted and the throttle is set to zero. "

Saying that, keep up with the good work. It will DEFINITELY help new Players to get a better grasp of the game.
Good spot. I'll update now. Thanks!

Would it be possible for a moderator to merge this thread into the other one that also discusses my beginner's guide: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-a-comprehensive-beginners-guide.414142/

It's confusing and not really a good idea to have two parallel threads on this. Thanks!

I think it would be better to just lock the other one (last post in it was May 2019) and leave this one alone as it is the updated version and now pinned.

I think it would be better to just lock the other one (last post in it was May 2019) and leave this one alone as it is the updated version and now pinned.
Yeah, good point and agreed! Someone recently necroed the other thread so I figured it would be good to just have the one on the go. I shall change my request :D

how to find best weapon and armour they attack me pirates i have ship anaconda
You'll need to be more specific than that if you want help. The best weapons and armour are very dependent on the situation. Are you trading, bounty hunting, exploring, etc. Are you being attacked by NPCs or other players?

If you're just trading, mining, exploring, or running delivery missions, then it's probably not worth the hassle of fighting interdictors, especially if you're talking about player pirates. It's better to learn how to win the interdiction game or simply submit to the interdiction and then high wake out of there. Get yourself some good thrusters and shields and if you have Horizons, then consider engineering them.

But if you're still a beginner, you may want to get used to playing in a smaller ship first, to better understand how the game works. ED has a significant learning curve and the Anaconda is an expensive ship to lose.

You'll need to be more specific than that if you want help. The best weapons and armour are very dependent on the situation. Are you trading, bounty hunting, exploring, etc. Are you being attacked by NPCs or other players?

If you're just trading, mining, exploring, or running delivery missions, then it's probably not worth the hassle of fighting interdictors, especially if you're talking about player pirates. It's better to learn how to win the interdiction game or simply submit to the interdiction and then high wake out of there. Get yourself some good thrusters and shields and if you have Horizons, then consider engineering them.

But if you're still a beginner, you may want to get used to playing in a smaller ship first, to better understand how the game works. ED has a significant learning curve and the Anaconda is an expensive ship to lose.
i delivered data scan job mision

i delivered data scan job mision
When you take on missions, there's a good chance that NPCs will attempt to interdict you from time to time. Stacking missions can result in being attacked by multiple NPCs every time you travel to a station in supercruise.

Basically, when an NPC interdicts you, your options are:

1. Attempt to win the interdiction game. This is relatively easy against NPCs, even in something as big and cumbersome as the Anaconda. If you win the interdiction then that specific NPC will leave you alone (but others may still attack). If you lose the interdiction game and manage to escape, then the NPC will simply attempt to interdict you again. Also, if you lose the interdiction game, your ship will take damage, you'll spin of control for a few seconds, and you'll have a much-increased FSD cooldown timer.

2. Submit to the interdiction and then high wake. You can submit to interdiction by setting your thrust to zero. Then set your thrusters to 100% and keep boosting until you can jump. High waking (jumping to another system) is generally faster than low waking and you don't have to worry about mass lock factor, although that shouldn't be much of a problem in an Anaconda because it's one of the biggest ships in the game.

3. Submit to the interdiction and then low wake. Similar to above, but you reenter supercruise in the same system (low waking). Then downside of this is the NPC will probably attempt to interdict you again.

4. Submit to the interdiction and fight. Like I said, this is probably not worth the time or effort. Plus the Anaconda is not the most agile of ships, so fighting smaller ships can be tricky and time-consuming, especially if you're relatively new to the game. If you defeat the pirate, others may still attack when you reenter supercruise.

Until you're comfortable with the interdiction game, you may want to avoid taking on more than two missions at a time. Also, some missions do specify that NPCs may be sent out to attack you, so you may want to avoid these as well.

You might want to read section 8.2 of my beginner's guide: https://thecakeisaliegaming.wordpre...arted-in-elite-dangerous-a-guide/#supercruise

When you take on missions, there's a good chance that NPCs will attempt to interdict you from time to time. Stacking missions can result in being attacked by multiple NPCs every time you travel to a station in supercruise.

Basically, when an NPC interdicts you, your options are:

1. Attempt to win the interdiction game. This is relatively easy against NPCs, even in something as big and cumbersome as the Anaconda. If you win the interdiction then that specific NPC will leave you alone (but others may still attack). If you lose the interdiction game and manage to escape, then the NPC will simply attempt to interdict you again. Also, if you lose the interdiction game, your ship will take damage, you'll spin of control for a few seconds, and you'll have a much-increased FSD cooldown timer.

2. Submit to the interdiction and then high wake. You can submit to interdiction by setting your thrust to zero. Then set your thrusters to 100% and keep boosting until you can jump. High waking (jumping to another system) is generally faster than low waking and you don't have to worry about mass lock factor, although that shouldn't be much of a problem in an Anaconda because it's one of the biggest ships in the game.

3. Submit to the interdiction and then low wake. Similar to above, but you reenter supercruise in the same system (low waking). Then downside of this is the NPC will probably attempt to interdict you again.

4. Submit to the interdiction and fight. Like I said, this is probably not worth the time or effort. Plus the Anaconda is not the most agile of ships, so fighting smaller ships can be tricky and time-consuming, especially if you're relatively new to the game. If you defeat the pirate, others may still attack when you reenter supercruise.

Until you're comfortable with the interdiction game, you may want to avoid taking on more than two missions at a time. Also, some missions do specify that NPCs may be sent out to attack you, so you may want to avoid these as well.

You might want to read section 8.2 of my beginner's guide: https://thecakeisaliegaming.wordpre...arted-in-elite-dangerous-a-guide/#supercruise
so need purchase mamba or another ship?

so need purchase mamba or another ship?
Not necessarily. You just need to get comfortable with winning the interdiction game. It takes a bit of practice but it's not too difficult. I would also recommend getting the best thrusters you can afford and, if you have Horizons, engineer them for dirty drive tuning.

That said, you probably will find it easier to win the interdiction game in a smaller, more agile ship.

Last edited:
Hey there, relatively new to the game.
I'm heading to Sagittarius A* for the first time, I've been hitting a lot of unexplored systems.
The question I have is that when I'm in FSS I see a lot of signal sources listed but no way to scan them on the . Nothing on the far left of the scanner.
Is there any way to finds those signal sources or are they just there for flavor?
Small to share.jpg

Thar be transient signals, beliken to thee olde degraded signals, like weapons fyre, flotsam and jetsom, handee for thee gathering of materials and salvaging illegal cargoes.
Also there, ye will finde NHSS - non human signal sources. Beware. Lykely thar be Thargoids.

Last edited:
Top Bottom