Patch Notes Update Elite Dangerous - Beta 5 incoming

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Great job Frontier Team, when are you planning on full release of 2.1? :S

If we can draw any conclusions of the Horizons beta, theres one more beta patch and then the official release, but this is just me speculating and not to be taken too seriously. :)

- Variable reordering so variables are created before being referenced

This line worries me. I really hope that I misinterpreted it but in any case I will just leave these links here:

http://www.gimpel.com/html/pcl.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tools_for_static_code_analysis

Please do not underestimate tools for maintainnig code quality. Automated tools can make your life so much easier. You will be suprised what they can find - I am speaking from personal experience.

And finally this one:
http://www.jbrains.ca/ - I admit that I have only attended his TDD training and never saw him in action as a consultant or coach, but he struck me as a someone who knows what he's talking about.

Not played it yet but WOW, Full kudos to whichever part of the dev team fixed the file validation errors finally! For the first time in this beta I've downloaded the entire thing, in one go, quickly, and without a single validation error! Well done guys!

Now, on with the testing...

If we can draw any conclusions of the Horizons beta, theres one more beta patch and then the official release, but this is just me speculating and not to be taken too seriously. :)

Big changelog here. Good work Frontier

I hope they release one more beta patch before going to last stage of the beta. And I hope planet textures are fixed before we go to the last stage of the beta. I have enjoyed the 9 euro beta.

If plans hasn't changed, they want to release 2.1 sometime in june, because it's the beginning of their new fiscal year.

So, there are, at least, two more weeks, probably three.

Last edited:
What hurting, it is the retry cost. If materials were communes, if we could have those materials through a material market.... something else then just grind (search/loot/trash), the RNG wont be a so big deal. Maybe we should not be able to spend new materials while retrying.

However, as it is not the case in the version that FRONTIER suggest. Searching for some materials... like Polonium can take few minutes for those who know where to search... few hours for others (I know what am talking about). Am just sick by just thinking the time I'll lost when the roll and dice result will be bad.

To resume my game-time : log, search, roll dice = bad, go search again, roll dice = medium... go search again, roll dice = good... spent two days. Wondering if FRONTIER is making this update for GOLDFARMER or UNEMPLOYED. Heu... sincerely I prefer to spend my time in Elite Dangerous in combat, mining, exploration, missions, trade... but i couldn't, as engineer update is involve in all those activity because of modules upgrade. What I saw from beta so far, no module update, no fun because cannot compete with AI or other Players.

As already said, engineer should be a rank as explained here.

- Variable reordering so variables are created before being referenced
This line worries me. I really hope that I misinterpreted it but in any case I will just leave these links here:
(snip)
I guess they're talking about database "variables", used for tracking (say) missions, although it's not clear at all. If that's the case, then your static analysis tools will probably be of little use.

Last edited:
What hurting, it is the retry cost. ... Am just sick by just thinking the time I'll lost when the roll and dice result will be bad.
I am conflicted. In principle I don't object to a "retry cost", as long as everyone is treated equally... On the other hand, FDev have failed to account for human psychology, specifically "loss aversion":

People REALLY dislike having something & then loosing it - far more than never having it in the first place. To the extent that they will put far more effort to avoid loosing something, than that thing is rationally worth.

Sales people use this to trick people into buying stuff, by telling them they can buy at a discount, but only for a short while. People hate the idea of "loosing" the discount, and so will tend to buy stuff, even if they would normally never have considered buying it (if it was at that lower price to begin with).

In short, FDev are fighting against human psychology with their "crafting material gambling", particularly with the "special effect (or not) spinning wheel of fortune".

Last edited:
If plans hasn't changed, they want to release 2.1 sometime in june, because it's the beginning of their new fiscal year.

So, there are, at least, two more weeks, probably three.

Im aware of Frontier mentioning June, but its June exactly in 2 weeks and we will go at least a week with beta 5 and at least a week with beta 6. ;)

Again, just me speculating and dreaming.. :D

HI FD,
I have no words to describe my reaction to the improvements made with this (Engineers 2.1) update. When I joined the backers I knew FD would make a very good simulation but I did not expect the graphics and the gameplay to reach this kind of level. The graphics are so realistic and the gameplay is getting so entertaining, I never expected this project to reach this standard of perfection. Congratulations to the whole team for your outstanding work. I cannot imagine (anymore) how the game will end when all the development is finished. There are many bugs to iron out but I have complete confidence that this simulation will be included in the annals of programming history (for the right reasons). Thank you for making me feel that my investment has been repaid many times over. I am anxiously waiting for No Mans Sky to see the atmospheric worlds with life and how entertaining it might be, but I know that when FD include atmospheric worlds with life (really anxious about this) , you will do the same job that that you have been doing up till now, which is absolutely fantastic.
Elite Dangerous is starting to get really dangerous. Dangerous for us commanders, dangerous for other game producers and dangerous for complainers who will have nought to complain about.
Thanks FD for all your hard work and thanks again for making my dreams come true.
Richard

I got a popup window saying, just as the download was ending. aggh
failed response from server
failed response from server

So I quit the desktop launcher then, unchecked the alternative download. the Upgrade Box for engineers beta was replaced by PLAY. It had upgraded.
ok now lets hit the slots.
Glad you're up and running, but, be careful with that - you might still have a couple of dodgy files :-o - I'd had that error on the lens flare file and hyperspacing was full of stars where each one filled the width of the canopy.

I'd recommend:
- close E : D and E : D Launcher
- clear IE cache
- Open E : D Launcher, select beta in the list, then "validate game files" from the options menu

See below next quote...

Not played it yet but WOW, Full kudos to whichever part of the dev team fixed the file validation errors finally! For the first time in this beta I've downloaded the entire thing, in one go, quickly, and without a single validation error! Well done guys!

Now, on with the testing...
Glad to hear this one went well for you, given other correspondence to date!!

My download still complained about a few files, but it was just the IE cache this time. The firewall setting I'd mentioned in other threads seems to do the trick

- Player can see through their ship while headlooking up during SRV deployment fixed

This, for me, is one of the biggest things from this update, simply because it has bothered me since the release of Horizons. I was wondering however, is the weird animation for the SRV bay doors closing also fixed? currently the doors clip through the supposed closing mechanism in a way that doesn't look right at all.

This is an incredible change list though, seriously great work!

See my speculation in post #103. Plus let's not forget we still have the Apocalypse phase.

Im aware of Frontier mentioning June, but its June exactly in 2 weeks and we will go at least a week with beta 5 and at least a week with beta 6. ;)

Again, just me speculating and dreaming.. :D

I suspect beta 6 will be tomorrow (Thursday) to address things like the FDL sometimes not being able to land etc.

Hey guys,

The beta servers will be getting an update (beta 5) shortly.

- Everybody docked at Jaques Station has retreated to a safer distance

Everybody stand back now... This baby really packs a punch :D

Nice Work, cant wait for the release... [face pressed on glass] Open...open...open...

Javert

Volunteer Moderator
Everybody stand back now... This baby really packs a punch :D

Nice Work, cant wait for the release... [face pressed on glass] Open...open...open...

As someone mentioned on another thread, I hope when setting up this that they rememebered to alter the "Last station" that the commander was docked at otherwise they will be able to self destruct and end up at BP.

As someone mentioned on another thread, I hope when setting up this that they rememebered to alter the "Last station" that the commander was docked at otherwise they will be able to self destruct and end up at BP.

i tried taking on an expert FAS winged with a sidewinder last night in my cobra MK IV.... i was experimenting with weapons i have never used before as well (rail guns).

the change in AI compared to the main game is obvious, whilst I won, I took 25% damage to my hull in doing so, which would not have happened in 2.0. great work. i shudder at the idea of soloing an elite conda in a wing however, which I guess is how it should be :)

Can't land with my FDL in stations. Ship can't touch ground with Landing gear on or off. Has somebody else the same problem?
Yes, me to. I think I may be destined to wonder the Galaxy until the end of time. I'm thinking of renaming my Ship "THE FLYING DUCHMAN"

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom