Patch Notes Update Elite Dangerous - Beta 5 incoming

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Can you please add the ability to see our ship's shield and armore value in the outfitting menu! Please!

It's been added.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

- Galaxy map, nav panel: web route lines can be switched off again

I was unable to find an option to toggle this on/off.

Also, I noticed the Asp cockpit still has got those holographic lights on it, whereas the Keelback does not. Surely there can be a bit of parity added to solve the Asp issue.

I'm sad that there isn't any mention of making Thermal Shock and Heat Effects respect thermal resistance. I have a video here where I'm completely unable to counter Thermal Shock with 103.9% thermal resistance on a Python's hull.

I really hope this is addressed. Looking forward to testing the torp changes as they have become a required part of my Python build now. I am worried that a 2.5s timer is going to be entirely too much but we'll see now that they inherit the speed of the firing ship, so thanks for that. :)

The video in question:
[video=youtube;3i9-YD2QIRI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i9-YD2QIRI[/video]

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but I was told in the 2.1 Beta discussion that it hasn't.
I suppose you think FDev lie?
- Galaxy map, nav panel: web route lines can be switched off again
Anyway, it's very easy: It works exactly like it did in 2.0 & before, which is that you click on the current route type, and it deselects it (leaving it active but not visible).

I have been fishing all day, how do i put them in the computer. Dam them greedy engineers. good work on the patch guys. :D [up]

phfAXsK.jpg

I, for one, want to see the RNG buffed. Get rid of metas, get rid of minmax. If some do it, that forces all who come in also to do so in order not to be slaughtered. That is unfun, that is BORING. More randomness, more variety, more uncertainty, please. Make it so that there IS NO "best build", just builds that generally work better in some circumstances, until the fella w/ something sneaky and unexpected comes along. Will pay additional real cash -happily- to see that realized, and I'm no rich guy.

Exactly what I thought reading the patch notes, augmenting the chance to get a special when we have a great roll makes the situation worst IMO. At least allow us to ask for a module without any special if you really need to keep the effect itself completely random.

+1, 2.1 is great in all other aspects.

In the end, I suspect they will have no choice but to give us the option to reject special effects (whilst retaining the upgraded module), as it is the one thing that the majority of the community (RNG haters & lovers alike) agree with in respect to Engineers.

I also think a solution lies in having delayed upgrades that you have to come back & pick up when done, so that people aren't *seeing* the random element at work in any shape or form.

I don't think anyone has managed to find this elusive VR setting so far... so i'm guessing it's somewhere in a config file? Devs, any pointers for us please? Thanks....

I'm cool with the RNG aspect, as long as they bring the randomness down a little more... other than that, it's cool that we're all gonna be flying slightly different builds, differing speeds, weapons..
It's gonna make for a way more interesting game.

And sure, if you really must have the absolute best possible mod upgrades, then roll and roll again and roll again and roll again and enjoy that eh.. i rolled once in Beta for all of my FDL module upgrades and it rocks. It may not be the absolute best FDL out there, but i'm cool with that. And it's performed well against others so far....

Which again highlights that these issues with *controlled* randomness has more to do with the psychology of the player than any problem with the game mechanic itself. I myself made 6 upgrades to my Cobra MkIII, & I only rejected one of them becausr I thought I could get the weight of the module down a bit more. I personally love it overall....even if I think it could use some minor tweaks.

Hi If any of you are getting the failed response from server error try selecting the alternative download method.

I have started reading the Lost Fleet books again by Jack Campbell. I read them 3 years ago before Elite Dangerous
and thought at the time, wouldn't it be amazing to take part in these big space battles. Trying to get home though enemy Territory.
Reading the first one now and can think I have been there in Elite Dangerous. Give this game time it will be epic like JC's Lost Fleet.

Download working now. yes not long. will see you out there maybe.
have a good one

Last edited:
I'm sad that there isn't any mention of making Thermal Shock and Heat Effects respect thermal resistance. I have a video here where I'm completely unable to counter Thermal Shock with 103.9% thermal resistance on a Python's hull.

It's my understanding that thermal resistance refers to resistance against damage from thermal type weapons, not against heat itself. It may be a case of confusing double-meaning for the term "thermal", but I think the damage types would be best thought of as "energy" meaning lasers and plasmas, kinetic for shells (MC/cannons) and explosive for missles, mines, torps.

The thermal shock effects are using heat as another influence which is like a DOT effect - inputting heat results in module damage over time. I'm not sure if lasers have always added some small measure of this or if 2.1 is the first time we're actually seeing it as a weapon effect, but so far in 2.0 and prior the only way heat damaged me was if my own weapons/systems generated it.

Thus adding thermal resistance to your ships hull/shields would increase their resistance to laser/energy weapon damage types but not block the heat transfer effects. Perhaps a dev can confirm or deny this?

Last edited:
I got a popup window saying, just as the download was ending. aggh
failed response from server
failed response from server

So I quit the desktop launcher then, unchecked the alternative download. the Upgrade Box for engineers beta was replaced by PLAY. It had upgraded.
ok now lets hit the slots.

Wow, lot's of fixes! Also nice to see you're shutting down the Hyperspace Raves, my crew was getting way too distracted! :D

Aww, and here I was imagining an entire population of gypsy like folk roaming around their star system in a mismatched assortment of ships, complete with cobbled together fixes for the inevitable breakages. :D

I thought that Moses had reincarnated and led these poor souls there.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom