Elite Dangerous, confirmed but not yet implemented features from 2013

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
i was reading through the old "news and bulletins" and i was wondering what have changed over time since i don't really see anything like these coming especially after 9 years
1670253684747.png

Last edited:
NOOZ

It's pronounced nooz.

Fake nooz.

Good digging going on there though.

I was around from the start. The good old days - extensive alpha testing, a fantastic community vibe, so much opportunity for the future.

And look at what we got.

Isn't space BRILLIANT!

Looking forward to the ship interiors update <sniggers>

Modding tools went out of the window when FD decided to make it online only.

Walking outside our ships we finally got, many years later (nobody ever accused FD of being quick!)

Ship boarding - i think that one has gone the way of the dodo. Adds a whole load of complications. Maybe one day, if FD keep development going long enough, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Docking with larger ships - well, we did kind of get that in two ways. SLFs and FCs. Maybe not what was imagined by many, but FD never expounded in what form they would do it.

Cloud cities - which will basically be space stations in gas giant atmospheres, and gas giant atmospheres are not on the roadmap. Now, if i had been in charge, i'd definitely have been looking at adding more atmospheric planets before on-foot stuff. But i'm not in charge so....

We have modding. Graphical modding only of course, but that's still modding.

We have the ability to walk around outside our ships.

We have the ability to let other players inside our ships.

We have the ability to board SLFs onto our ships.

We don't have cloud cities yet.

4/5 isn't bad.

To be honest, yeah, a lot of the promises from the Kickstarter never materialized and likely never well. That's still highly disappointing to me, especially the lack of ship interiors, walking on atmospheric planets, actual moving and interactable alien beings like in No Man's Sky, etc.

I'm not sure any of it is even possible with the Cobra engine at this point, especially personal ship interiors and multiplayer boarding or EVA things. FDev certainly doesn't seem to think that ship interiors will 'add any gameplay of interest.' from their last statements. So, we'll have to see.

All that being said, I still play and enjoy Elite for what it is, as a player of the original it's still an interesting game just not what I originally backed for.

"Probably as part of Update 5 or later".

Odyssey is probably Update 2 (it might be Update 3 if you think "let's go back and fix and extend a bunch of earlier stuff and give it away for free" was always what Update 2 was supposed to be, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't part of the discussions back in 2013)

So on the one hand, it's clearly not happening. On the other hand, it's not going to be late as such until the 2040s anyway.

Modding tools went out of the window when FD decided to make it online only.

Walking outside our ships we finally got, many years later (nobody ever accused FD of being quick!)

Ship boarding - i think that one has gone the way of the dodo. Adds a whole load of complications. Maybe one day, if FD keep development going long enough, but i wouldn't hold my breath.

Docking with larger ships - well, we did kind of get that in two ways. SLFs and FCs. Maybe not what was imagined by many, but FD never expounded in what form they would do it.

Cloud cities - which will basically be space stations in gas giant atmospheres, and gas giant atmospheres are not on the roadmap. Now, if i had been in charge, i'd definitely have been looking at adding more atmospheric planets before on-foot stuff. But i'm not in charge so....
cloud planets were on the map 2 years before release and 3 years before planets, David even shown a demo of it

To be honest, yeah, a lot of the promises from the Kickstarter never materialized and likely never well. That's still highly disappointing to me, especially the lack of ship interiors, walking on atmospheric planets, actual moving and interactable alien beings like in No Man's Sky, etc.

I'm not sure any of it is even possible with the Cobra engine at this point, especially personal ship interiors and multiplayer boarding or EVA things. FDev certainly doesn't seem to think that ship interiors will 'add any gameplay of interest.' from their last statements. So, we'll have to see.

All that being said, I still play and enjoy Elite for what it is, as a player of the original it's still an interesting game just not what I originally backed for.
i don't think cobra isn't enough for elite, frontier always shown the capabilities of it, we've got clouds but no gas planets, we can levitate in 0g and can use the jetpack for unlimited time if we manage to jump out of the atmosphere but there are no gameplay loops for it. I'd really like to ask frontier about what happened that changed the plans but they never seem to answer

Given what we have seen of the thargoid maelstrom volumetric tech, are explorable gas giants and cloud cities really that much of a stretch?

As for the other stuff, that seems like "nice to have if we can make it happen at some point" kind of stuff. I don't think any of that is critical to the game in it's current form. If they do it eventually, great. If not, I'm not losing any sleep over it, the game is fun as it is.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom