Elite Dangerous: FSD Reward Module for Phase 2 Colonia Bridge Community Goal | Experimental Effects Revised

I just applied experimentals for the second time post Update 9 (on my Epic account set of Phase2 dbl-engineered FSD)

Steps:
1. Fly to Colonel Bris Dekker (closest Engineer that can mod FSD) in a suitable ship (on my Steam Account it was an Anaconda, this time was a T-9 - both cases the FSD equipped were standard engineered 6A)
2. From Outfitting, Stored Modules, I transferred locally the 3x dbl engineered modules
3. Once they arrived i swapped a dbl engineered, i applied the experimental, then swapped the 2nd, applied experimental, swapped the 3rd and applied experimental

Worth noticing: both Steam and Epic accounts are Odyssey enabled and i applied the experimentals in Odissey

I tried to do the same thing for my XB account, but once landed at Bris my game hard crashed to home screen as soon as i tried to open Stored modules in outfitting (to transfer the modules)

The workaround mentioned by @Dragorion seems kinda similar to the steps i posted above - as in i didnt had the FSD equipped on the ship i used to get to Bris.

Thank you for the steps provided, Northpin.

I tried it before the patch of today and I was not able to reproduce your steps with success. Doing that just let me stuck at the same screen in the screenshots I send. I can't get to the mods screen at all. Oh and I tried the other workaround to change to another module and change back to the CG one but with no luck. I was wondering if there is like two different modules ID for each of the FSDs. Maybe there is and mine is the one which can't get the special effect applied. Some friends were able to apply the experimental effects as you but other can't as I and we can't figure out what the void is going on. The only thing I can think now is the possibility of they making another copy of the FSDs with a new ID and this item can't get the EF applied to them.

I gonna try again now after the patch to see if anything changed.

Anyway, thank you again for your contribution and I'll let you know if this issue was fixed.

Thank you for the steps provided, Northpin.

I tried it before the patch of today and I was not able to reproduce your steps with success. Doing that just let me stuck at the same screen in the screenshots I send. I can't get to the mods screen at all. Oh and I tried the other workaround to change to another module and change back to the CG one but with no luck. I was wondering if there is like two different modules ID for each of the FSDs. Maybe there is and mine is the one which can't get the special effect applied. Some friends were able to apply the experimental effects as you but other can't as I and we can't figure out what the void is going on. The only thing I can think now is the possibility of they making another copy of the FSDs with a new ID and this item can't get the EF applied to them.

I gonna try again now after the patch to see if anything changed.

Anyway, thank you again for your contribution and I'll let you know if this issue was fixed.
Have you still not found my workaround comment #313? Many have confirmed it to work.
(Or did you fail to follow the steps correctly and meant it by 'the other workaround'?)

Last edited:
Have you still not found my workaround comment #313? Many have confirmed it to work.
(Or did you fail to follow the steps correctly and meant it by 'the other workaround'?)

First, let me apologize for my rudeness saying "the other workaround" about your nice comment with a possible workaround for the issue. I'm truly sorry for sounding as I was intending to offend you and I would like you to forgive me. I'm not English native and I'll for sure be more careful with my words from now on.

About your question, yes! I found it after posting my experience and unfortunately I was not able to pass the screen with the deactivated button even messing with another 6E, 4E and 3E FSDs. I was trying at Felicity Farseer in Horizons and Odyssey, on foot and from the ship menu but with no luck. I am currently heading to Felicity to try again after this patch and as soon as I arrive, I'll post my findings.

Thank you all again, thank you very much.

About your question, yes! I found it after posting my experience and unfortunately I was not able to pass the screen with the deactivated button even messing with another 6E, 4E and 3E FSDs. I was trying at Felicity Farseer in Horizons and Odyssey, on foot and from the ship menu but with no luck. I am currently heading to Felicity to try again after this patch and as soon as I arrive, I'll post my findings.

Just to make sure, you do know that you have to select an engineering effect that's at least at level 1 before applying experimental effect, right?
For example: for pre engineered FSD, select the Extended range in the left side of the screen then the experimental button should activate in the lower right side of the screen

IF your modules are still locked, you should contact the support at

Just to make sure, you do know that you have to select an engineering effect that's at least at level 1 before applying experimental effect, right?
For example: for pre engineered FSD, select the Extended range in the left side of the screen then the experimental button should activate in the lower right side of the screen

IF your modules are still locked, you should contact the support at

Yes! But I'm not able to reach this screen as the button to open it up is deactivated. I'm currently doing engineering for eight ships at once and I took the opportunity to change my explorer jumpconda FSD, my Courier and the Asp Scout. Yes, I use an AspS to get materials in USS :ROFLMAO:

A friend challenged me to find a use for the AspS and I took it VERY seriously 🧐

I tested everything one on every engineer with all methods I could think and yet can't apply the experimental effects. So I can confirm, the modules are again locked to apply any experimental effects, at least some of them. Some friends managed to apply the effects with no problem but my module can't be modified.

Just to let you guys know about this, I'll try the support but I'm sure they will waste my time and on the last post they'll say to open a issue on the Issue Tracker that will die and go to the limbo, never being fixed. So, let's see what will happen...

But you did the relog at the right step? You didn't mention that, so I wanted to make sure you did the right steps. Which most likely you didn't, since software is not a magical mess, but does the same for everybody, and whose effects vary only due to hardware or runtime conditions (like the operating system). I find it highly unlikely, that in such a case, there would reliably occur such a difference.

Also, I didn't take what you wrote as offensive, just as implausible. And I still do.

But you did the relog at the right step? You didn't mention that, so I wanted to make sure you did the right steps. Which most likely you didn't, since software is not a magical mess, but does the same for everybody, and whose effects vary only due to hardware or runtime conditions (like the operating system). I find it highly unlikely, that in such a case, there would reliably occur such a difference.

Also, I didn't take what you wrote as offensive, just as implausible. And I still do.

Yes, I did it exactly as you said with going back to the menu and log in again and again so many times I lost the count, both in horizons and odyssey, from the ship menu and on foot, in Elvira and Felicity and nope, I'm sorry to tell you that I am still not able to apply the special effects. I would be pleased to just go to the engineer and apply the effect as expected and not trying to find some workaround. And I am compelled to disagree that software does the same for everybody, if this ideal scenario was real world scenario, bugs would not exist, this is the "magical mess" of the real world. Hardware and runtime isn't the only things that could potentially affect the result of some calculus, failure to interpret signals, network packet loss and even cosmic particles could affect the results from softwares.

In this case, I am inclined to believe that there are two different modules with different ID but with the same parameters which one of them being locked and the ones I have are the locked ones. Let's hope that @sallymorganmoore can bring some light to us about this issue.

Yes, I did it exactly as you said with going back to the menu and log in again and again so many times I lost the count, both in horizons and odyssey, from the ship menu and on foot, in Elvira and Felicity and nope, I'm sorry to tell you that I am still not able to apply the special effects. I would be pleased to just go to the engineer and apply the effect as expected and not trying to find some workaround. And I am compelled to disagree that software does the same for everybody, if this ideal scenario was real world scenario, bugs would not exist, this is the "magical mess" of the real world. Hardware and runtime isn't the only things that could potentially affect the result of some calculus, failure to interpret signals, network packet loss and even cosmic particles could affect the results from softwares.

In this case, I am inclined to believe that there are two different modules with different ID but with the same parameters which one of them being locked and the ones I have are the locked ones. Let's hope that @sallymorganmoore can bring some light to us about this issue.

Hey pal,
I believe we met the similar issue. I tried the 4A pre-engi FSD on my dolphin and fly to Farseer Inc.. The engineer button is gray with mark on it. I doubt FD lock the modification function again on purpose, or by accident, on the pre-engineer parts.
Any update from your side?
Cannot eliminate the posibility that FD just open the function for that while in order to peace the angry cmdrs. But then change back again?
Now there is little cmdrs who still need to add Experimental function again. So the sound would be very low and weak.

And I am compelled to disagree that software does the same for everybody, if this ideal scenario was real world scenario, bugs would not exist, this is the "magical mess" of the real world.
Being the nerdy computer scientist that I am, I cannot let this stand. By definition, software does the same for everybody (meaning the stack of instructions are identical, i.e. define the software itself). I mentioned that its effects still vary, depending on the environment. It is like, if you let a drop of water fall in a very hot or a very cold environment, that can be same action, but the effect will be very different (freezes in one, vaporizes in the other).

However, what really matters here is that these differences in the effects of the workaround cannot depend on hardware and can barely depend on software; they are clearly making use of a different subset of instructions: Apparently, in one case this subset is jumped to on relog not for all, but after relog (server communication - which is also a single system that should respond equivalently for everybody) it seems quite unlikely that this would happen consistently different.
On the other hand, there have been patches and maybe the workaround has stopped to be working in general, I don't know of anyone who still made it work after you tried.

Last edited:

Deleted member 254248

D
this subset is jumped to on relog not for all, but after relog (server communication - which is also a single system that should respond equivalently for everybody) it seems quite unlikely that this would happen consistently different.
Just as an aside, it’s been known for a while that the game communicates with the servers quite differently on separate platforms, especially with consoles.

Just as an aside, it’s been known for a while that the game communicates with the servers quite differently on separate platforms, especially with consoles.
On different plattforms, sure. But my instructions mentioned to not use Horizons, which excludes consoles (it was meant for Odyssey only, hence the single software).

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm still confused with the entire engineer workover as there is so much being said I can't make heads or tails of this.

I have an Anaconda engineered for mining, an ASP explorer engineered for high jumps to explore, a Type 9 engineered for trade, and an Imperial Cutter that is engineered for missions and is dangerously close to power overload. ALL fully engineered and a TON of work to get them this way. Are these engineered ships going to change in the near future and loose engineering for these ships? Worst case scenario redoing changed engineering work?

All of these ships use A class Engineered FSD's with the guardian booster as well. I just finished my last Shield booster with flow control for power usage, but it just gave me the experimental and it shows insufficient materials to purchase this effect but still gave me the flow control experiment anyway.

So is Frontier planning on changing or discontinuing engineering for Horizon ships?

Can someone just say yes or no on ship engineering with Odyssey/Horizons, possibility a Moderator?
Thank you guys for helping in any way without please without dozens of redirects with every statement...o7

I have an Anaconda engineered for mining, an ASP explorer engineered for high jumps to explore, a Type 9 engineered for trade, and an Imperial Cutter that is engineered for missions and is dangerously close to power overload. ALL fully engineered and a TON of work to get them this way. Are these engineered ships going to change in the near future and loose engineering for these ships? Worst case scenario redoing changed engineering work?
No
So is Frontier planning on changing or discontinuing engineering for Horizon ships?
No

I just added Mass Manager to some fresh CG FSDs on an alt (Horizons, PC), where I previously forgot I still have them. Following the original instructions from this thread worked fine, but after adding the experimental, it became unmodifiable (and the name changed from "Frame Shift Drive" to "Frame Shift Drive(Pre-Engineered)".
When trying to join the modification menu, it says it cannot be engineered.

Then I tried the workaround (but on Horizons), and it seems to work! I can now select it again:
1640839090189.png

1640839112378.png

The optimized mass shows, this is a CG module.
So, the workaround seem to work in Horizons on PC. (Except if there'd be some random error again after trying to apply the experimental — I didn't want to risk any locks at undesired settings trying to modify it again.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom