Release Elite Dangerous HUD Mod (EDHM)

Thank you for all the work on this much needed mod.... which I have managed to break in only a few minutes after installation.
I have been running a custom HUD via XML for some time but don't like how it messes with things I would like to remain stock color. I restored the original XML values and ran Sync files then installed using EDHM_UI_v1.52f, I now get some elements of the HUD to change but not as shown in the profile preview. I am wondering if the Odyssey install is causing funky issues?

Hi CMDR,

That's called the 'broken shader' issue. I think a slight problem with the UI install is that CMDRs don't see the EDHM Manual in the install folder, and the manual explains how to fix the broken shader issue. But it's very simple

I'll take a quick snippet from the manual rather than type it out again

GUI-off.JPG

Hopefully that fixes the issue, but please let me know if you're still seeing the orange elements

Thank you, GeorjCostanza and Blue Mystic for this excellent mod.

I have used the XML values for several years now to get my preferred HUD colours - blue with gold accents - an inversion of the standard orange colour matrix - but was facing the unwelcome prospect of having to go back to orange for Odyssey due to the unintended effects on many of the new on foot HUDs.

Having been away from Elite for most of the last year, I only recently saw this mod but it is already essential to my set up. It not only manages the colours better but is a vast improvement on the old XML colour shift override method. For the first time in years, I now have red enemies on the radar and red warnings alongside my preferred colours which were impossible before. I've also been able to swap analysis mode to my default blue and combat to gold which again is a massive improvement.

EDHM may be relatively new but it'll quickly be considered among the top rank of addons as it develops, I'm sure.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Thank you, GeorjCostanza and Blue Mystic for this excellent mod.

I have used the XML values for several years now to get my preferred HUD colours - blue with gold accents - an inversion of the standard orange colour matrix - but was facing the unwelcome prospect of having to go back to orange for Odyssey due to the unintended effects on many of the new on foot HUDs.

Having been away from Elite for most of the last year, I only recently saw this mod but it is already essential to my set up. It not only manages the colours better but is a vast improvement on the old XML colour shift override method. For the first time in years, I now have red enemies on the radar and red warnings alongside my preferred colours which were impossible before. I've also been able to swap analysis mode to my default blue and combat to gold which again is a massive improvement.

EDHM may be relatively new but it'll quickly be considered among the top rank of addons as it develops, I'm sure.

Keep up the good work!

Hi CMDR,

Thanks very much for your kind words! Yeah I'll make sure the mod turns off for the foot HUD .. I'd rather leave the foot HUD how it is for a while as I'm sure a nice Dev put a lot of thought into the design. Though maybe the panel on the station interior monitors could match the ship-based station panels, as the orange on those monitors really burns out my retinas. Anyway, there will be lots to do over the next few months, and feel free to make suggestions anytime

o7

Another request for you, my wizard! :)
Is the jump polyline and the stars (in the galactic map) something that you can manipulate?

The galactic maps drives me crazy: the jump lines becomes too faint if you zoom out to see ha long travel, the stars becomes too little, while you may want to see how many are scoopable and how "far" between each jump.
So, since you amazed me by addressing the orbit lines, i wonder if you can repeat you magic :)

Another request for you, my wizard! :)
Is the jump polyline and the stars (in the galactic map) something that you can manipulate?

The galactic maps drives me crazy: the jump lines becomes too faint if you zoom out to see ha long travel, the stars becomes too little, while you may want to see how many are scoopable and how "far" between each jump.
So, since you amazed me by addressing the orbit lines, i wonder if you can repeat you magic :)

Hi CMDR,

Do you mean the cyan lines that emanate from your current location showing possible jump routes? Or the thicker line that shows your current jump course?

I can have a look at the GalMap in Odyssey .. however, I can’t do any more for Horizons as Odyssey changes a lot and will be launching soon

Often when elements fade out, such as the lines and stars, they’re controlled by the game code, and no matter how bright I make them they will still disappear. The game code is at a higher level than the shaders I work with. But I’ll certainly have a look when we have access to the final Odyssey build

I was referring to the jump course lines.

I understand you're working for Odyssey: i'm just happy to know that you will take this in a corner of your mind :)

Dumb question: What was the option to change the color of the left, right, and bottom panels again? Like Contacts and Navigation and such.

I'm just getting back into the game, and I remember using this mod, I just don't remember what option those fall under. I am currently using the most recent version available for download, 1.51

Last edited:
Dumb question: What was the option to change the color of the left, right, and bottom panels again? Like Contacts and Navigation and such.

I'm just getting back into the game, and I remember using this mod, I just don't remember what option those fall under. I am currently using the most recent version available for download, 1.51

Hi CMDR,

The mod comes with 5 in-built profiles, press CTRL 5,6,7,8,9. You can also make your own based on your favourite XML matrix using the Profile-Guide PDF that comes with the mod, or use the UI if you installed that way

There's also new profiles you can install from the EDHM discord, in the #sharing-colors channel

PS. It's not a dumb question! Colouring the panels is a new feature of EDHM, so everyone is still getting used to it

Hi CMDR,

Thanks very much for your kind words! Yeah I'll make sure the mod turns off for the foot HUD .. I'd rather leave the foot HUD how it is for a while as I'm sure a nice Dev put a lot of thought into the design. Though maybe the panel on the station interior monitors could match the ship-based station panels, as the orange on those monitors really burns out my retinas. Anyway, there will be lots to do over the next few months, and feel free to make suggestions anytime

o7

Thanks, I'll definitely be joining the Discord next time I add new servers.

I've been having such a good experience with your mod that it's really reinvigorated my interest in playing. Such a relief to be spared having to go back to orange for Odyssey! Although I removed my XML colour override shift for the alpha, before I did I noticed the ground-based mission terminals still used the custom XML colours once they went to full screen. It would be great if we could customise the actual terminal screens to match as you suggest. As a blue HUD fan, I also really liked their default on-foot UI.

I've been refining the ship HUD and now have a much improved version of my long-standing blue and gold colours. Dark blue/flashing purple enemies are gone and the custom EDHM hologram and shield look excellent. At the moment I've just set the shield to standard blue so it matches the one on the left. It would be good if we could customise the left shield indicator as then I would have both as the gold-orange-red combination.

The only real issue I've hit so far is the SRV wave scanner and turret HUDs being hardcoded to green as others have already mentioned. I know you have plans for cusomisable radar elements which would be excellent, especially if these could be changed independently for the various modes (e.g. SRV, planetary landing, landing pads and normal in-flight use).

Good luck with the next version.

Wish there was a way to shader hash the "slow down text " like u could do with the supercruise speed lines ??

Yeah I'll try and isolate that in the advanced version of EDHM. Some elements that intermittently pop up like that share the same 'space' in a shader, so if you mod / turn off that 'space' then it applies to everything that pops up in the same position. That's why I have a lot of difficulty with the target panel as it's constantly changing and I can't use the standard techniques

But if I can isolate the slow down text in Odyssey I'll certainly let you know

What do I need to do to make this not so blue. I've looked in the manual and I still dont know what Im looking at, or what profile is this? This one starts up instead of mine.

Attachments

• very blue.jpg
    very blue.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
What do I need to do to make this not so blue. I've looked in the manual and I still dont know what Im looking at, or what profile is this? This one starts up instead of mine.

Hi CMDR,

That looks like the purple Black Market theme. I haven't got a lot of time right now so I'll just upload some pics that should help.

From the manual, to swap profiles with a hotkey

Profiles.JPG

If you want to set any of the demo profiles as default / startup, then either use the UI, or follow this process

Demo profiles folder:
Demo-folder.JPG

Go into the profile folder that you want to set as default, and copy the two highlighted files
Demo-files.JPG

Then paste them into the EDHM-ini folder and overwrite what's there (you might wish to backup Startup-Profile.ini first if you made some changes)
Ini-folder.JPG

Press F11 to reload and you're done!

To create new profiles, use the UI or follow the Profile-Guide.pdf .. the UI is easier. If you have any questions best to join the discord so we can chat

Mine has gone strange the last day or so, wonder how much Odyssey code has been leaking over to the live servers.

Hi CMDR,

I haven't noticed any changes on my side and I'm in Odyssey nearly every day. Maybe could you please post a screenshot so I can see what's going on?

Will post screen shot if Odyssey update ever finishes. I have been in Horizons as well as Odyssey, using Black Market and Radiant Blue presets and now all facial images in Horizons are blue, they were normal two days ago.

Hi CMDR,

That looks like the purple Black Market theme. I haven't got a lot of time right now so I'll just upload some pics that should help.

From the manual, to swap profiles with a hotkey

View attachment 224446

If you want to set any of the demo profiles as default / startup, then either use the UI, or follow this process

Demo profiles folder:
View attachment 224447

Go into the profile folder that you want to set as default, and copy the two highlighted files
View attachment 224448

Then paste them into the EDHM-ini folder and overwrite what's there (you might wish to backup Startup-Profile.ini first if you made some changes)
View attachment 224451

Press F11 to reload and you're done!

To create new profiles, use the UI or follow the Profile-Guide.pdf .. the UI is easier. If you have any questions best to join the discord so we can chat
I think I got it. Thank you

Hello. Is it possible to make a bit brighter this text?
View attachment 225515

Hi CMDR,

Yeah that same question came up in the discord. Unfortunately the text shader is universal and can't be modded by position on the panels.

The softness of the text in the squad chat is determined by the XML colour matrix values, so they would need to change to increase the brightness. However, it's difficult to predict which part of the ship panel XML to change, I usually experiment with them all until I find something that works. Which profile are you using there?

Top Bottom