Elite Dangerous lacks goal

I wanted to point out one, very important, imo, point that makes Elite Dangerous unattractive in mid-end game for some players, me included. It's the lack of the mid and late game goals. I have 350 hours, play mainly exploration and mining/trading game, have carrier and can afford any ship. Also unlocked guardians technologies that interested me. And the only thing that keeps me playing/returning to game is the thrill of exploration, seeing my name on the planets that noone will probably see. Making the first footfall in almost no gravity moons. So, it seems that I keep playing the game just to keep playing. I have no goal left. Nothing to achieve. I've seen center of the galaxy, alien phenomenas, I jumped in Neutron Stars. What else can I do? (thats a rhetorical question)
If not counting other players, I would say that I'm one of the most wealthy people in the galaxy. Individual owning fleet and carrier? Millions in bank? And what do I do every day as my commander? I fly and scan planets.
Ask yourself - what would you do if you'd be one of the most wealthy people in the galaxy? Maybe start your mining/trading/transport buisness? Build a colony on unowned world? Engage in politics? Damn, create your own harem even? Buy mansion on tropical world? How many of you would actually keep flying alone in the empty space?
What Elite Dangerous end game is, at least for me, sad future of hopless commander that is glued to his ship's seat and forced to do primitive labour tasks. Doesn't matter whether it is trading/mining/piracy/combat/exploration - you always can and must do the same things that you did as a newbie.
Most probably won't agree with the thing I'll say now... I would really love to see housing and/or colony building/managment system introduced into the game. In other online game I play, Elder Scrolls Online, it's one of the most important things that keep me attached to it - having a place to call your home, decorate it, create a bond with what you did, share your creation with other players. It doesn't matter how many new, cool mechanics will be introduced in next years - collecting rocks, fighting new aliens, buying new ships etc. You will always end up as a guy/gal flying his/her own ship from point A to point B without any real reason beyond flying. Once you've seen all planets, dig up every mineral, shoot down every type of ship, once you amassed ridicoulus amount of credits - you'll still be alone. You'll still be homeless. You won't ever be able to bond yourself with place that you like. You will still be a millionaire whose wealth means nothing, even though you could probably be more important than many galactic leaders.
So, to sum it up, please - give me a goal to keep playing beyond just keeping playing. Let me feel like I'm achieving something, that I'm important - even if it would be just an illusion.

So, to sum it up, please - give me a goal to keep playing beyond just keeping playing. Let me feel like I'm achieving something, that I'm important - even if it would be just an illusion.

Has anyone told you ... about the BGS .... :sneaky:

Nobody needed to tell me this, I've tried to play with it.
Untitled6.jpg

If you're just going to ask rhetorical questions, please don't bother.

I wanted to point out one, very important, imo, point that makes Elite Dangerous unattractive in mid-end game for some players, me included. It's the lack of the mid and late game goals. I have 350 hours, play mainly exploration and mining/trading game, have carrier and can afford any ship. Also unlocked guardians technologies that interested me. And the only thing that keeps me playing/returning to game is the thrill of exploration, seeing my name on the planets that noone will probably see. Making the first footfall in almost no gravity moons. So, it seems that I keep playing the game just to keep playing. I have no goal left. Nothing to achieve. I've seen center of the galaxy, alien phenomenas, I jumped in Neutron Stars. What else can I do? (thats a rhetorical question)
If not counting other players, I would say that I'm one of the most wealthy people in the galaxy. Individual owning fleet and carrier? Millions in bank? And what do I do every day as my commander? I fly and scan planets.
Ask yourself - what would you do if you'd be one of the most wealthy people in the galaxy? Maybe start your mining/trading/transport buisness? Build a colony on unowned world? Engage in politics? Damn, create your own harem even? Buy mansion on tropical world? How many of you would actually keep flying alone in the empty space?
What Elite Dangerous end game is, at least for me, sad future of hopless commander that is glued to his ship's seat and forced to do primitive labour tasks. Doesn't matter whether it is trading/mining/piracy/combat/exploration - you always can and must do the same things that you did as a newbie.
Most probably won't agree with the thing I'll say now... I would really love to see housing and/or colony building/managment system introduced into the game. In other online game I play, Elder Scrolls Online, it's one of the most important things that keep me attached to it - having a place to call your home, decorate it, create a bond with what you did, share your creation with other players. It doesn't matter how many new, cool mechanics will be introduced in next years - collecting rocks, fighting new aliens, buying new ships etc. You will always end up as a guy/gal flying his/her own ship from point A to point B without any real reason beyond flying. Once you've seen all planets, dig up every mineral, shoot down every type of ship, once you amassed ridicoulus amount of credits - you'll still be alone. You'll still be homeless. You won't ever be able to bond yourself with place that you like. You will still be a millionaire whose wealth means nothing, even though you could probably be more important than many galactic leaders.
Well, like most CMDRs you will ask that question at 350 hours... then again at 1000 hours... then again at 5000 hours... and that is actually the weird magic of Elite :)

Last edited:
I wanted to point out one, very important, imo, point that makes Elite Dangerous unattractive in mid-end game for some players, me included. It's the lack of the mid and late game goals. I have 350 hours, play mainly exploration and mining/trading game, have carrier and can afford any ship. Also unlocked guardians technologies that interested me. And the only thing that keeps me playing/returning to game is the thrill of exploration, seeing my name on the planets that noone will probably see. Making the first footfall in almost no gravity moons. So, it seems that I keep playing the game just to keep playing. I have no goal left. Nothing to achieve. I've seen center of the galaxy, alien phenomenas, I jumped in Neutron Stars. What else can I do?
Elite is not the only game that has this problem, in fact it's quite common to feel this way in an open-ended "blaze your own trail" game. I had this happen in Elite, Space Engineers, No Man's Sky, etc, and someday I'm sure I'll feel this way in X4 Foundations (not there yet). Of course it doesn't help that these are games with no "The End" like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Subnautica, or any other narrative-driven game.

I would argue that part of the problem is that it took you 350 hours instead of 3500 hours to achieve everything in that very big list of yours. I feel part of Elite's problem is it's gotten too easy over the years. It used to take longer to get an Anaconda than it now takes to get a Fleet Carrier full of engineered Anacondas, LOL. Though I think you got your money's worth even with "only" 350 hours of game time, assuming you enjoyed the journey to the top of Everest Elite. Maybe it's time to climb a different mountain?

But... can you fly FA off?

I mean, for me, Elite is about mastering each discipline. And then doing that all over again, in open.

Any Elite rank is simple to gain if you just spend enough hours doing it. But to do it well and easily requires learning and skill. And then a love for a skill well earned. For some that's making as much money as possible trading. For others, pushing their faction, on their own or as part of a squadron, in the BGS. For others is discovering new worlds, and photography, as an explorer. And for more still it's about competitive PvP, organic or organised.

And that's just to mention a few disciplines.

You can do it casually or you can master it. But within all of that, you're flying a f****g spaceship. And that's cool.

I have 350 hours
I dont know... think you played the game in a not very recommended way. I have 2600 hours and just got my FC at 2400 hours. I have never been to Colonia or Sag A. All the time i had in ED was great, and theres still more to do. Looks you grinded extremely through the game without enjoying it in all its possibilities. Perhaps Start over and this time a little slower?

Not to urinate on your chips there, but ED is what's known as a sandbox, your goals are your own, for the most part.

Elite is not the only game that has this problem, in fact it's quite common to feel this way in an open-ended "blaze your own trail" game. I had this happen in Elite, Space Engineers, No Man's Sky, etc, and someday I'm sure I'll feel this way in X4 Foundations (not there yet). Of course it doesn't help that these are games with no "The End" like Uncharted, Tomb Raider, Skyrim, Subnautica, or any other narrative-driven game.

I would argue that part of the problem is that it took you 350 hours instead of 3500 hours to achieve everything in that very big list of yours. I feel part of Elite's problem is it's gotten too easy over the years. It used to take longer to get an Anaconda than it now takes to get a Fleet Carrier full of engineered Anacondas, LOL. Though I think you got your money's worth even with "only" 350 hours of game time, assuming you enjoyed the journey to the top of Everest Elite. Maybe it's time to climb a different mountain?
I do wonder whether in that 350 hours (I've logged 1,164.2 hours and have loads to do still) they've been to visit all the Generation Ships, done Ram Tah's mission, visited Thargoid sites, visited the INRA sites, visited Colonia, reached Triple Elite, bought a Fleet Carrier (they have one of those), levelled up all of your NPCs and a lot more?

Edit: none of the above I have done yet in my 1,164 hours

Last edited:
Not to urinate on your chips there, but ED is what's known as a sandbox, your goals are your own, for the most part.
Indeed. I have many personal goals to do in-game. Like try and vist and scan all Kepler systems that are in game. There's no reason to do it really but for myself. You can also try and visit all nebula, or look for T Tauri stars to find the youngest, or the one with the smallest solar mass. There's lots of options, at least in regard to exploration.

Response to OP:

What is the goal of the Ocean? You go to the beach, what is the plan? There is some sand, and a big, wide, wet thing. Nothing really to see here and yet there is still lots of fun for all ages, if you bring it with you. You can have fun at the beach even if all you show up with is a towel.

Make your own fun. o7

Last edited:
I do wonder whether in that 350 hours (I've logged 1,164.2 hours and have loads to do still) they've been to visit all the Generation Ships, done Ram Tah's mission, visited Thargoid sites, visited the INRA sites, visited Colonia, reached Triple Elite, bought a Fleet Carrier (they have one of those), levelled up all of your NPCs and a lot more?

Edit: none of the above I have done yet in my 1,164 hours
On the other hand, I haven't done all of that, and I'm still bored with Elite. But my reasons are different than the OP's. I'm definitely not saying Elite lacks goals.

Though reading his actual post, I'm not sure this is his complaint. I think perhaps he's not looking for goals, per say, but a sense of progression, not just as a ship collector, but as someone important in the galaxy.

What Elite Dangerous end game is, at least for me, sad future of hopless commander that is glued to his ship's seat and forced to do primitive labour tasks. [...]
You will always end up as a guy/gal flying his/her own ship from point A to point B without any real reason beyond flying. Once you've seen all planets, dig up every mineral, shoot down every type of ship, once you amassed ridicoulus amount of credits - you'll still be alone. You'll still be homeless. You won't ever be able to bond yourself with place that you like. You will still be a millionaire whose wealth means nothing, even though you could probably be more important than many galactic leaders.
At the risk of getting in trouble for promoting other games (though Frontier got their money from you for Elite, so hopefully they won't mind), may I suggest giving X4 Foundations a try? You can build yourself an entire empire, fill a space yacht with pretty (strike that, this is X4 we're talking about) women, command entire fleets, and even terraform yourself a nice planet (that you can't actually visit, LOL). Of course, once you do that you may end up bored like Elon Musk and decide to buy Twitter, but getting there, that's a lot of fun IMO.

Well, I suspected that I won't find any supporters of my ideas but I did not suspect that noone will bother to understand what I wrote.

You guys are saying that Elite is a sandbox where you create your own story. And that's true! And I want to create my own story! And I am actually creating it. What I did say is that I want other tools to create it, I mentioned housing/base building as an examples. What difference to a sandbox nature of the game would it make if I could own an apparment in specific station that I could sit in a chair, that I believe is my own, and turn on the radio there to listen to GalNet? It would be my story - my commander having a place to return after embarking on expeditions...
You say that ship is the central thing in the Elite and we should do more on ship. I agree. But why shouldn't we have both options? Having ship without station to dock is pointless. Being able to walk is pointless without ability to stop and sit.

Some ideas based on what i have done in the game:

1.Bgs. You can choose an area of the Bubble, and make it your home. Get known and allied, support local factions, or a specific superpower, expand them get your name mapping and landing on foot around if some bodies are still untagged.. I also get bored easily, so i just roleplay a mercenary organization with my ships and carrier. We fly around, help a faction get a victory or station etc, then move on to new systems.

2. Learn fly assist off, learn the various fixed weapons and get better at flying the various ships available. Eventually you can kill elite anacondas and corvettes with a vulture, viper, eagle, etc.. Each one flies differently, and it is really satisfactory to master each flight model and be able to avoid enemy fire, match speed and outmaneuver them, etc..

3. Build the ultimate ship collection. I have all of them with multiple ones when needed, many totally engineered and minmaxed for the particular role. Experiment with finding a niche and role for each ship in the game.

4. Go around visiting places, sight seeing, strange systems, distant colonies, etc.. It's not all the same, there are a lot of unique systems and places to check out.

5. If really into exploration, work on the bigger picture. Plan an expedition visiting various sectors and filling in your codex entries..

Also, group playing and pvp if into that!

Well, I suspected that I won't find any supporters of my ideas but I did not suspect that noone will bother to understand what I wrote.
Did you read my last post? I actually do understand what you wrote, at least I think I do. But that's not Elite, and it's never going to be Elite. It really is an entirely different game (cough X4 cough), and wishful thinking won't change that. Though I never expected Fleet Carrier interiors, so maybe you can start small and ask Frontier to allow us to customize those like you can an ESO home. It's definitely not everything you're asking for, but it's a start!

Goals in this game, if you have not found fullfilment making up your own, will probably come from the communities you join. So if you join a PMF doing BGS, you'll have goals for that faction being made there. Same if you join a Powerplay community, etc.

Top Bottom