Elite Dangerous lacks goal

Exploration seems like the obvious answer, if you appreciate space in general and what stellar forge achieved you can get lost out there. At some point you may find yourself pining for the bubble and bubble activities again.

Did you read my last post? I actually do understand what you wrote, at least I think I do. But that's not Elite, and it's never going to be Elite. It really is an entirely different game (cough X4 cough), and wishful thinking won't change that. Though I never expected Fleet Carrier interiors, so maybe you can start small and ask Frontier to allow us to customize those like you can an ESO home. It's definitely not everything you're asking for, but it's a start!
I didn't see it at time I was writing mine.

Different people play the game differently. If you rushed through and it was fun for you but now not any more... then i think you are done with the game. Just move on. ED is a fantastic basis for Imagination (if you have enough) but does not provide enough assets if you need everything ingame indeed, like for example an own House, Villa or whatever.

I have a fantastic great flat in my Home station. It just exists in my head. The merging with the game starts, when i left my flat to the concourse and walk to my favorite bar, sit down and drink a beer. You see... flat is in my head, i go the the Bar ingame, open a beer in reality and so everything merges together.

I believe (and I've said it before) base building would have the potential to change the game for the better by introducing something to work for. It wouldn't have to be anything extensive - for example every player would be able to own only one base at any time, and on planet surface it could be just a landing pad with one small building to minimise the footprint - everything else could be underground - in separate instance. Players would have option to gather materials needed to build additional segments manually, or maybe just buy them, earning money by doing what they enjoy doing. It would mean players could have something to actually do even deep in the black.

Basically Elite needs more tools that players would be able to use creatively.

I mean, Elite has always been more a vehicle for imagination than a game to beat, so I was able to have fun with it for a long time, but it could be much, much better at it. I can imagine building a base on some planet, but I would prefer game mechanic to allow me to do that.

You can build yourself an entire empire, fill a space yacht with pretty (strike that, this is X4 we're talking about) women,

You can choose and bring aboard only one, and only the first choice. Choose wisely.

4X0RZBN.jpg

ngtYPi9.jpg

tayVJAq.jpg

GduOpEv.jpg

I think there should be a way in which you can "collect" star systems. So you can expand some sort of "empire" throughout the bubble and beyond. I don't mean literally in some grand strategy sense, but definitely something you can see on the galaxy map that has some sort of tangible benefit. Base-building? Insta-travel network? Some sophisticated alliances system? Dunno!

I think there should be a way in which you can "collect" star systems. So you can expand some sort of "empire" throughout the bubble and beyond. I don't mean literally in some grand strategy sense, but definitely something you can see on the galaxy map that has some sort of tangible benefit. Base-building? Insta-travel network? Some sophisticated alliances system? Dunno!

There is, you can create / adopt a faction and push their interests. While you don't specifically "own" their stations you can take satisfaction in knowing that you helped them to expand.

I don't see the attraction of building a base... there's a galaxy out there why would I want to put down roots in one place? My ship is my base, give me more interesting things to do in/with/around my ship(s) and I'll be very happy.
I can see the attraction in having something real and permanent, something you can improve in a meaningful way. It's kind of like building a house in Skyrim; why build a house when the objective is to go into dungeons?

Last edited:
AX combat, PVP, exploration and BGS are the typical endgame activities. I'm lucky enough to be into 3 out of those 4. BGS is nice enough by itself, but it really gets interesting if you make some diplomatic contacts on player groups that control the other factions and get involved in politics.

I wanted to point out one, very important, imo, point that makes Elite Dangerous unattractive in mid-end game for some players, me included. It's the lack of the mid and late game goals. I have 350 hours, play mainly exploration and mining/trading game, have carrier and can afford any ship. Also unlocked guardians technologies that interested me. And the only thing that keeps me playing/returning to game is the thrill of exploration, seeing my name on the planets that noone will probably see. Making the first footfall in almost no gravity moons. So, it seems that I keep playing the game just to keep playing. I have no goal left. Nothing to achieve. I've seen center of the galaxy, alien phenomenas, I jumped in Neutron Stars. What else can I do? (thats a rhetorical question)
If not counting other players, I would say that I'm one of the most wealthy people in the galaxy. Individual owning fleet and carrier? Millions in bank? And what do I do every day as my commander? I fly and scan planets.
Ask yourself - what would you do if you'd be one of the most wealthy people in the galaxy? Maybe start your mining/trading/transport buisness? Build a colony on unowned world? Engage in politics? Damn, create your own harem even? Buy mansion on tropical world? How many of you would actually keep flying alone in the empty space?
What Elite Dangerous end game is, at least for me, sad future of hopless commander that is glued to his ship's seat and forced to do primitive labour tasks. Doesn't matter whether it is trading/mining/piracy/combat/exploration - you always can and must do the same things that you did as a newbie.
Most probably won't agree with the thing I'll say now... I would really love to see housing and/or colony building/managment system introduced into the game. In other online game I play, Elder Scrolls Online, it's one of the most important things that keep me attached to it - having a place to call your home, decorate it, create a bond with what you did, share your creation with other players. It doesn't matter how many new, cool mechanics will be introduced in next years - collecting rocks, fighting new aliens, buying new ships etc. You will always end up as a guy/gal flying his/her own ship from point A to point B without any real reason beyond flying. Once you've seen all planets, dig up every mineral, shoot down every type of ship, once you amassed ridicoulus amount of credits - you'll still be alone. You'll still be homeless. You won't ever be able to bond yourself with place that you like. You will still be a millionaire whose wealth means nothing, even though you could probably be more important than many galactic leaders.
So, to sum it up, please - give me a goal to keep playing beyond just keeping playing. Let me feel like I'm achieving something, that I'm important - even if it would be just an illusion.
I heard the only true way to finish this game is to find Raxxla.
Than your journey will be complete...

I can see the attraction in having something real and permanent, something you can improve in a meaningful way. It's kind of like building a house in Skyrim; why build a house when the objective is to go into dungeons?
It's pretty much like a FC in this game, just a place to store your stuff, and crafting in skyrim, ships, cargo and data in elite as it is.
I think the biggest problem for bases is performance. If it was unregulated, would be a problem as in X3 I built so much it became a laggy, unplayable mess.
I don't think the game is ready for that considering all the things.
And, even if a little is given, just another source of disappointment, imo if it isn't the same as other games dedicated to it..
Too soon for this game, might be why they ruled it out a while back..

There is, you can create / adopt a faction and push their interests. While you don't specifically "own" their stations you can take satisfaction in knowing that you helped them to expand.
I think it's a bit too vague and lost in the intricacies of the BGS. The obvious thing is base-building, just in the sense that you can feel like you're "colonising" an area, but I suppose this is tricky in a multi-player game if everybody starts constructing things everywhere. Passing all the data around is presumably very costly. So you might have to artificially limit it in a way that would annoy everybody. I've not really played NMS enough to know how they deal with it.

Even if they gave you a goal to achieve, in a certain number of hours you would be back here demanding another goal because you've done that and there's nothing to do. There's a play style that simply doesn't work with some styles of game. Play styles that demand there must be a goal will always run afoul of that game problem, the devs, of any game, simply can't make goals fast enough to keep those style of players happy, they hit the "end game" problem.

If you have hit say, lvl 140 in LOTRO and done all of Gundabad what do you do now? Do you do the same stuff over and over again, because that's all that's available until they bring out a new expansion, you have hit end game and there's no more to do. Yet players do continue playing, they do their won stuff, form musical bands and hold events in inns, make groups and run low level raids naked (no not naked, with no gear) and etc, they make their own fun.

I must be 7,000 hours in game, and there's still stuff I have in my "to do" list....in any game you get to that point, it doesn't matter what game it is, but games like Elite take that to the extreme, they give you a few tools, a few goals like ranks and stuff to get like FC's, and after that you are on your own. It's a big galaxy, plenty to do, but if you find that boring, I would never criticise a player for moving to another game that suits their play style better, I have done that myself a number of times.

It's pretty much like a FC in this game, just a place to store your stuff, and crafting in skyrim, ships, cargo and data in elite as it is.
I think the biggest problem for bases is performance. If it was unregulated, would be a problem as in X3 I built so much it became a laggy, unplayable mess.
I don't think the game is ready for that considering all the things.
And, even if a little is given, just another source of disappointment, imo if it isn't the same as other games dedicated to it..
Too soon for this game, might be why they ruled it out a while back..

Kinda like an FC, yeah...but honestly, the real perk of the FC is that it's mobile. Having access to all your stuff at a moment's notice is huge.

But there could still be a niche for a ground base. Start it out just for storage, then expand it to other features, like having local engineers for you exclusively, a standard market to buy or sell from, maybe even a small mining outpost to generate a bit of passive income.

Of course, this being Odyssey, lag could definitely be an issue. Hope they fix that at some point.

Kinda like an FC, yeah...but honestly, the real perk of the FC is that it's mobile. Having access to all your stuff at a moment's notice is huge.

But there could still be a niche for a ground base. Start it out just for storage, then expand it to other features, like having local engineers for you exclusively, a standard market to buy or sell from, maybe even a small mining outpost to generate a bit of passive income.

Of course, this being Odyssey, lag could definitely be an issue. Hope they fix that at some point.
I don't think you can just discount what a FC can do, jus' sayin'. It does what a base would do.
I get where you're coming from but it's likely to be on a planet and they need work so...
I think you're trying to make the game revolve around the player too much so no-one will ever have to go anywhere.
It would be a massive weight on the servers as well on top of everything else.
They said no to this a good while back...

I don't think you can just discount what a FC can do, jus' sayin'. It does what a base would do.
I get where you're coming from but it's likely to be on a planet and they need work so...
I think you're trying to make the game revolve around the player too much so no-one will ever have to go anywhere.
It would be a massive weight on the servers as well on top of everything else.
They said no to this a good while back...
Practically, you could make a base exist purely on the player's end, similar to signal sources. Probably better to do it that way, tbh. That way it would be no load on the server, you could have multiple bases on the same spot, popular systems wouldn't get overloaded, etc.

I don't want to discount what FCs can do, I'm just saying that there could be a separate niche for bases, too. They would be similar, but notably different as well.

Top Bottom