Elite: Dangerous Legacy League

So remind me, why do you people prefer Legacy over Live?
VR only player here with no interest in on foot game play although I did pre purchase Odyssey for what I was hoping to be new planet tech that FD promoted in the early screen shots of Odyssey that turned out be so false it is almost criminal!
But now 2 years later lighting is probably the biggest killer for me.
My 13700k/RTX 4080 can cope with FPS but thats not enough to make me convert as my main enjoyment in Elite is planet surface Honing.

FWIW, I'm actually looking for confirmation bias, LOL. For me, this new planet tech (which I'm experiencing firsthand now) is the "killer" (as in, it's killing my enthusiasm) feature of Odyssey. I'm trying to move on to Odyssey, but...

Stupid Bethesda, I blame them!
I'm not part of the "Legacy League", but I'll chime in anyway: I think you've found your own confirmation bias right there ;). You've read the complaints about the planet tech and the "repeat features", you've internalized how bad it is, and now you're looking for them to confirm how bad it is and how it kills the live experience.

I've seen the images, and I've noticed on occasion that there are features to be seen that kind of repeat... but I don't care in the least. Maybe my brain is bad at pattern recognition, but from my perspective, unless you go looking for them to point them out, this is not a real problem. I play exclusively in VR, and I would never want to go back to Legacy, if only for the descent to an atmospheric planet near the terminator. That's an experience I would not want to miss. The few times I logged back in to Legacy I found it incredibly bland in comparison to Live.

Horses for courses, I guess.

My biggest disappointment with Legacy is that it's dead from a narrative perspective. No more Galnet, no more meaningful CGs, no more intriguing happenings in the galaxy. These are things that keep Elite feeling fresh to me after all these years, and without them, it just feels like I've "finished" the game.

I don't understand why Frontier chose to abandon these things, since they continue to sell "Legacy" on console. How many people does it take to write a Galnet article and fresh CG once per week?

Don't mind me, I'm just grumpy over Odyssey (and Starfield), LOL. I'll leave you dedicated Legacy Lovers alone now.

So remind me, why do you people prefer Legacy over Live?
For me it's the accumulation of many small elements in the pure space piloting experience.

It all feels far more refined in Legacy than Live with things such as visible information in the HUD, shipyard interface, some material textures, some planetary visuals, thargoid interceptor visuals, reference frames in and around rotating starports, so on and so forth.

It's almost like one is a game engine tweaked for a narrow purpose over the course of many years at the end of its life, whereas the other is an engine with broader purpose and in comparative infancy.

I have been stuck in a cycle ever since the server split. I'll play Legacy for a few weeks, then get drawn into the narrative and new experiences of Live, slowly decrease my play until I stop (due to a relatively unenjoyable piloting experience), try other games only to be disappointed they're not Elite, start playing Legacy again a week or so later.

Last edited:
Brothers and sisters, we need your help!!

We have a CMDR that got stuck progressing qwent to palin in order to get dirty 5 drives and couldn't get any you guessed it, "modular terminals". Since the inara and eddb is rip, and the new one with 0 data as no one plays it to report locations. He's just plain stuck. The station also give no missions to get 3 at a time. Much despair.

Any one of you know what to do? Please help us.

We have a CMDR that got stuck progressing qwent to palin in order to get dirty 5 drives and couldn't get any you guessed it, "modular terminals". Since the inara and eddb is rip, and the new one with 0 data as no one plays it to report locations. He's just plain stuck. The station also give no missions to get 3 at a time. Much despair.

Mission rewards only IIRC. I'm sure there will be a carrier selling them out there somewhere, probably in a nearby (to Sirius) system.

Inara is RIP? Since when?
On consoles since the EDH EDO split . Most third party apps now only do EDO as it's two totally different universes and it doubles the entries. With the number drop in consoles it was deemed not viable . Which is understandable so if on EDH the apps can be wrong

Maybe this'll help?

For any SteamVR commanders out there, prepare for a bumpy ride after the latest SteamVR "update". It necessitated a complete uninstall/reinstall of SteamVR/Windows Mixed Reality for things to get more or less back to normal for me.

For any SteamVR commanders out there, prepare for a bumpy ride after the latest SteamVR "update". It necessitated a complete uninstall/reinstall of SteamVR/Windows Mixed Reality for things to get more or less back to normal for me.

I did wonder why you were logging in & out so much :)

Glad you solved your issue.

Top Bottom