Elite: Dangerous Legacy League

Thanks for your expert opinion guys.

I'm going to try to be as specific as possible for this question:

Scenario: PvE, Krait Mrk2, laid back combat with as little active participation as possible, aside from maneuvering of course, a.k.a. relaxing and enjoying the fireworks.

Hardpoints: Turrets.

So considering ToT , DPS, visual gratification and minimal pips management, what is the optimal turret config? I don't want to be switching hardpoints, so I'm basically looking for a 1 size fits all config. I know it won't be optimal from a murder boat perspective, but that is not what I'm looking for.

I'm unsure if optimizing pulse, burst or beam is most efficient in this light. I expect efficient lasers are best in order to preserve pips for shield and engine. I imagine coupling a few laser turrets with a couple of MC turrets for best bang for my buck.

TL; DR: Looking for a one size fits all efficient turret config for a Krait Mrk2.

Oh, and which SLF would you recommend for an NPC? I'm thinking fixed lasers of some sort, for visual satisfaction.

Thanks in advance to anyone chiming in. :)
I've tried a few Krait MkII builds with combinations of turreted beams, multi cannons and frags. While I ended up taking a different approach I did learn some things.

Two large efficient beams sacrifices slightly too much kinetic damage*. A single large beam is just about enough.

The medium hardpoints on the Krait can't aim as high on the vertical axis as the larges, meaning they can't engage the target as early (assuming you prefer to pull up to target, which in a Krait you should). As a result they're a poor choice for anti-shield turreted weapons.

For turreted frags to land decent hits you need to keep very close to your target. If they boost to wake out, as both players and npc's tend to do, they will escape. Drag munitions help but do not resolve the issue completely.

If you go all out with over-charged on two large and two medium multi-cannons you have to manage your distributor. Conversely, the damage buff from efficient is unsatisfying.

* Reading Riverside's feedback I'm tempted to try this again combined with short range multi-cannons.

I've tried a few Krait MkII builds with combinations of turreted beams, multi cannons and frags. While I ended up taking a different approach I did learn some things.

Two large efficient beams sacrifices slightly too much kinetic damage*. A single large beam is just about enough.

The medium hardpoints on the Krait can't aim as high on the vertical axis as the larges, meaning they can't engage the target as early (assuming you prefer to pull up to target, which in a Krait you should). As a result they're a poor choice for anti-shield turreted weapons.

For turreted frags to land decent hits you need to keep very close to your target. If they boost to wake out, as both players and npc's tend to do, they will escape. Drag munitions help but do not resolve the issue completely.

If you go all out with over-charged on two large and two medium multi-cannons you have to manage your distributor. Conversely, the damage buff from efficient is unsatisfying.

* Reading Riverside's feedback I'm tempted to try this again combined with short range multi-cannons.
Gold. Thanks Stubadub. :)

Yeah, flying a Krait in VR, pulling up on targets is a visual feast as targets come in to view through the large canopy.

I've started my turret progression, and two large beams on top is too power hungry. I'll be trying two large burst on top (either side) for symmetri, a large MC on top (middle) and then two medium MCs below that'll engage as I level on target.

Which experimental effect goes where is another puzzle.

I've never actually engineered anything to G5 (never cared for the Engineer concept - but I'm coming around :) ), so I'm actually quite curious about this journey. :)

Last edited:
...I've started my turret progression, and two large beams on top is too power hungry. I'll be trying two large burst on top (either side) for symmetri, a large MC on top (middle) and then two medium MCs below that'll engage as I level on target...
Two large burst and a large MC on top definitely seems to hit the sweet spot. Plenty of pips to go around, and everything keeps firing. :)

What I do with the medium hardpoints on the sides/bottom becomes secondary. Maybe frags for close quarters umph?

Range doesn't seem to be an issue for me, as I like a first row seat to the action. :)

So which upgrade path to take with the 2 large bursts turrets, 1 large MC turret and (maybe) 2 medium frag turrets? I suppose I have to keep the burst lasers efficient for continued easy pips management?

Been giving this a bit of thought & I think the kind of build you are looking for is an AFK turret boat.
I don't know much about this kind of build but you can use your (soon to be) engineered c3 turrets on a T-10 (it can use 4 of them) & you should find that more capable for doing the kind of activity you are looking for, although it probably won't jump as far & will be more frustrating to fly generally than a Krait.

And as I offered to you earlier Globus, if anyone wants to collect mats they are more than welcome to join me while I bounty hunt in haz RESs. I almost never collect mats from RES work.

Been giving this a bit of thought & I think the kind of build you are looking for is an AFK turret boat.
I don't know much about this kind of build but you can use your (soon to be) engineered c3 turrets on a T-10 (it can use 4 of them) & you should find that more capable for doing the kind of activity you are looking for, although it probably won't jump as far & will be more frustrating to fly generally than a Krait.

And as I offered to you earlier Globus, if anyone wants to collect mats they are more than welcome to join me while I bounty hunt in haz RESs. I almost never collect mats from RES work.
Thanks, Riv. Yes, I have a T-10, but it just isn't engaging enough. :)

I think I will take you up on the offer regarding mats. Good lord, this engineering is a mat heavy prospect.

Hope to see you in the black again soon. :)

Which experimental effect goes where is another puzzle.
Perenially so...
I've never actually engineered anything to G5 (never cared for the Engineer concept - but I'm coming around :) ), so I'm actually quite curious about this journey. :)
Ah, then you're in for a bit of an adventure (well, ship-building wise anyway). The Krait MkII is an excellent ship to cut your engineering teeth on. Any changes are noticable but won't completely murder performance. With some well made choices you can tailor a Krait to be one of the top performers in just about any role.
What I do with the medium hardpoints on the sides/bottom becomes secondary. Maybe frags for close quarters umph?
Yeah... this is where I decided to drop an all turret Krait build. I never found a satisfactory turreted weapon for the mediums. I wound up fitting fixed frags, then changed to rails.
I suppose I have to keep the burst lasers efficient for continued easy pips management?
Hmm, I'm unsure, I don't think so. I don't have much experience with bursts. What little I have showed me their power draw is still too high for significant increases from engineering to be tolerable. Efficient is always a good option if you don't know what else to do, but focused or rapid fire look enticing.

Perenially so...
:D
...Hmm, I'm unsure, I don't think so. I don't have much experience with bursts. What little I have showed me their power draw is still too high for significant increases from engineering to be tolerable. Efficient is always a good option if you don't know what else to do, but focused or rapid fire look enticing.

I tried turreted frags on the mediums and they made no sense at all, especially from a ToT point of view. I've returned to a pretty standard config; 2 large efficient burst turrets on top, 1 large MC turret on top, and 2 medium MC turrets on the sides. This combo seems to work well together. They gel quite well. Right, Riverside? ;)

2 pips to weapons and everything keeps firing non stop. So this works for me. :)

Not quite set on the engineers path for the MCs, though.

Last edited:
...And as I offered to you earlier Globus, if anyone wants to collect mats they are more than welcome to join me while I bounty hunt in haz RESs. I almost never collect mats from RES work.
Would you perhaps be inclined to liberate some mats for me later this evening?

Would you perhaps be inclined to liberate some mats for me later this evening?
Sure :) We can drop into a haz RES I need bounties from & you can scoop up any mats you want from my NPC kills. Be careful to avoid picking up cargo & unless you shoot someone you shouldn't be targeted yourself but I can't offer any safety guarantees so make sure you have a high wake destination plotted ;)

If I'm not in the game send me a private message here. There are some buy & sell orders on my carrier too for anyone on my friendlist that wants to earn some quick cash selling to the local station, it doesn't matter where you buy goods from but they can all be found in nearby systems with the galaxy map commodities filter.

Sure :) We can drop into a haz RES I need bounties from & you can scoop up any mats you want from my NPC kills. Be careful to avoid picking up cargo & unless you shoot someone you shouldn't be targeted yourself but I can't offer any safety guarantees so make sure you have a high wake destination plotted ;)

If I'm not in the game send me a private message here. There are some buy & sell orders on my carrier too for anyone on my friendlist that wants to earn some quick cash selling to the local station, it doesn't matter where you buy goods from but they can all be found in nearby systems with the galaxy map commodities filter.
Excellent. I'll be on later tonight. Laters. :)

It's been a while since I gave a progress update on my ongoing battle fending off a PS4 PMF that invaded one of my systems: It's over!!

In Live the Dark Wheel faction entered this PMFs home system & managed to make contact with one of their members. I donated (permanent loan) a system to the Dark Wheel project a few years ago, they are a friendly & respectful bunch & I asked them to pass on my email address in the hope of opening a communication channel & see if we could broker some sort of deal or at least find out what they wanted with the system and a couple of weeks ago (long after my email addy was passed to them) I got a response, they were in the forces on deployment so the delay was entirely understandable.

They didn't know why they had been asked to contact me so I explained & over the next few days the situation became clear:

They were fighting a BGS and PvP battle with another group of players on PS4 who had reportedly put out a call for BGS Mercs to harm the faction that invaded 'my' system, coincidentally around the time they invaded & I started a distraction campaign on their territory (pulling them back, starting conflicts without fighting them, stuff like that). They assumed my activity was those BGS mercs working for their opposition & had not made the connection that 'my' system was being protected.

So we agreed to a ceasefire. They have ceased all activity in 'my' system, and I have stopped all my activity in their territory. This has been in place for a week or so now and it's become very clear that without my work, all other offensive BGS activity in their systems is actually minimal & easily managed by them.

So we're good, it was just a misunderstanding. I've extended an offer to assist with work or advice if they ask, they've agreed to leave my territory & expand away from from me.

One thing I learned from them is that my actions were reported to FDev for botting (not the first time for me). I do get frustrated at this kind of reaction & told them 'No, you just have a lot to learn about how the BGS works' but I did have to smile at the thought of some employee in Frontier Support looking through several months of logs from our sustained conflict & finding zero suspicious activity :)

I have a lot of tidying up to do now, a lot of my systems are in disarray either from the conflict or simply because I haven't had time to do more than basic maintenance to most of it so there's plenty still to do before normality is restored.

Thanks to those that have kept me company while this has been going on over the last few months, one Cmdr earned enough from trading to & from my carrier (unknowingly helped me by delivering at high profit to 'my' station) to buy their own carrier & go off exploring in it, another earned several billion & in total I spent around 10 Billion Credits from my enormous bank balance. Cmdrs following me around Haz RESs collecting manufactured mats benefited at no cost to me while I bounty hunted in several systems too. Cheers all 🥂

It's been a while since I gave a progress update on my ongoing battle fending off a PS4 PMF that invaded one of my systems: It's over!!

In Live the Dark Wheel faction entered this PMFs home system & managed to make contact with one of their members. I donated (permanent loan) a system to the Dark Wheel project a few years ago, they are a friendly & respectful bunch & I asked them to pass on my email address in the hope of opening a communication channel & see if we could broker some sort of deal or at least find out what they wanted with the system and a couple of weeks ago (long after my email addy was passed to them) I got a response, they were in the forces on deployment so the delay was entirely understandable.

They didn't know why they had been asked to contact me so I explained & over the next few days the situation became clear:

They were fighting a BGS and PvP battle with another group of players on PS4 who had reportedly put out a call for BGS Mercs to harm the faction that invaded 'my' system, coincidentally around the time they invaded & I started a distraction campaign on their territory (pulling them back, starting conflicts without fighting them, stuff like that). They assumed my activity was those BGS mercs working for their opposition & had not made the connection that 'my' system was being protected.

So we agreed to a ceasefire. They have ceased all activity in 'my' system, and I have stopped all my activity in their territory. This has been in place for a week or so now and it's become very clear that without my work, all other offensive BGS activity in their systems is actually minimal & easily managed by them.

So we're good, it was just a misunderstanding. I've extended an offer to assist with work or advice if they ask, they've agreed to leave my territory & expand away from from me.

One thing I learned from them is that my actions were reported to FDev for botting (not the first time for me). I do get frustrated at this kind of reaction & told them 'No, you just have a lot to learn about how the BGS works' but I did have to smile at the thought of some employee in Frontier Support looking through several months of logs from our sustained conflict & finding zero suspicious activity :)

I have a lot of tidying up to do now, a lot of my systems are in disarray either from the conflict or simply because I haven't had time to do more than basic maintenance to most of it so there's plenty still to do before normality is restored.

Thanks to those that have kept me company while this has been going on over the last few months, one Cmdr earned enough from trading to & from my carrier (unknowingly helped me by delivering at high profit to 'my' station) to buy their own carrier & go off exploring in it, another earned several billion & in total I spent around 10 Billion Credits from my enormous bank balance. Cmdrs following me around Haz RESs collecting manufactured mats benefited at no cost to me while I bounty hunted in several systems too. Cheers all 🥂
Excellent news. Congrats on actually making contact with the other side, and finding a peaceful solution. :)

I hope to be scrounging some tasty mats again sometime soon. :)

Top Bottom