ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I think few would have any major issues if the announcement was: "Odyssey will support VR except for the space legs bits." This thread would have turned out very different, I promise you. But the announcement was specifically: "ODYSSEY doesn't support VR at launch."
Because of the way Subnautica implements VR (it isn't the best), I tend to switch between 2D and VR depending on what I'm doing. Leg-based stuff. When I'm doing the grindy material gathering stuff via "legs", I tend to do that in 2D. When I'm piloting my submarine and exploring, that's when I switch to VR.

Of a similar vein, if I'm out exploring in Elite and I'm stuck in FSS 90% of the time, I often don't bother with VR. If I find an interesting system that warrants "experiencing", then I'll switch to VR. Flying in VR is fun, whereas using the 2D FSS in VR, not so much IMO.

Codex entry about Raxxla is there, and FDev said they are removing stuff that are not in game, only 'garnishing' - so codex entry should be a confirmation that something is indeed in the game.
Okay, if they says so then why not. But they said a lot and not always true ... Anyway I did not find Raxxla. But for me without VR Elite it's over. Good luck for Raxxla ;)

Because of the way Subnautica implements VR (it isn't the best), I tend to switch between 2D and VR depending on what I'm doing. Leg-based stuff. When I'm doing the grindy material gathering stuff via "legs", I tend to do that in 2D. When I'm piloting my submarine and exploring, that's when I switch to VR.

Of a similar vein, if I'm out exploring in Elite and I'm stuck in FSS 90% of the time, I often don't bother with VR. If I find an interesting system that warrants "experiencing", then I'll switch to VR. Flying in VR is fun, whereas using the 2D FSS in VR, not so much IMO.
At first it was a pain. Now I can wizz about in VR no problem. Mapping the controls seemed to sort it for me.
e: Talking about FSS to be clear.

I can see them dropping the vanilla game in the near future. How many builds do they want run?
I think it was during Gamma phase in 2014, or could have been after release, but Frontier (David Braben, I think), said that if ever the servers went down/ED ceased, then they would give out the code.

I would like to walk inside while exploring or traveling calmly or from the FC bridge admiring an orbit, but with the restriction of not being able to do it in combat, so as not to complicate things much for FDEV´s.😁
A side note, they could automate the ship a little more, since they have followed that path, after landings and super cruise ... why not automate a trip of several jumps until the fuel runs out? Apart from collecting fuel and a few turns , not much more is done while jumping.

I would like to walk inside while exploring or traveling calmly or from the FC bridge admiring an orbit, but with the restriction of not being able to do it in combat, so as not to complicate things much for FDEV´s.😁
A side note, they could automate the ship a little more, since they have followed that path, after landings and super cruise ... why not automate a trip of several jumps until the fuel runs out? Apart from collecting fuel and a few turns , not much more is done while jumping.
Except for scanning and discovering

I think it was during Gamma phase in 2014, or could have been after release, but Frontier (David Braben, I think), said that if ever the servers went down/ED ceased, then they would give out the code.
Mr. Braben may have said that, but I don't believe it. He's a litigious 'tard when it comes to the Elite IP (look what he did to his partner), and I just can't see him giving it away, ever.

Not much, if I do get one, it will likely be a cheap chinese 1080p affair.
Mate.

No need to spend big bucks if you are just after 1080p! Obvs make sure it is at least reasonably bright and defo 60Hz.

To give you an idea (if you are remotely interested) I have a little terrace house, a 2 up and 2 down classic UK post divorce-rinced affair, if you know them? Small. We have a cheap retractable projector screen set above the bay window at the front, with the projector sat above the the sofa mounted on the back wall, so lengthways. The throw is just a tickle over 3.5m.
All this means the screen is over 2.6 m diagonal! And because I sit less than 1.5m away when I game, it is massive. It's also fab sitting on the sofa to watch Prime.

Anyhoo!

I'll stop gushing now

Carry on!

That is true. However, I remember being puzzled at the time as Frontier said that an offline version that had been a feature of the KickStarter wasn't possible.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom