ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
You are right and I think that sort of ambiguity deserves the concern of VR players that have so much investment in the game.

You can count me among these players having logged more than 1400 hours and much of it in VR. :)

Yes, some concern is warranted, but I'm not sure a 200+ page thread is justified ;)

The very first Q I had on seeing the video and reading the announcement was "what about VR?". As soon as I read the follow up dev post answering that Q, I was "satisfied" with that answer. People have to realise that Frontier cannot "promise" to add VR because there are simply too many factors which could prevent it, this is just the reality of game development.

So, it makes sense to say "please try to add VR, pretty please" but it makes no sense (IMO) to be all doom and gloom and toys thrown out of the crib. Not at this stage. Wait till they actually tell us they're not adding VR, and not adding any support for players who want to play both VR and FPS.. because, IMO, that day will never come. Worst case scenario I can see is them saying they cannot add VR and then bending over backwards to make the transition from VR to FPS as nice as humanly possible, that's the Frontier I've been supporting for the last 8 years.

We’ll be sharing more information closer to release.

wish they just put this VR issue to bed , so that we can move on and focus our energy on getting excited about Odyssey, itlle be good for everyone to tackle the elephant in the room quickly and decively. Im sure Fdev don't want the excitement around odyssey to be overshadowed with the flood of VR questions that continues to pour in. and has been the case since they dropped the bombshell on us.

It’s not all or nothing support/no support: the more likely scenario as I see it is partial support at launch i.e. FPS and possibly other gameplay loops excluded.

From this statement is seems we might have a different understanding of what Odyssey is... It's an expansion to Elite, much like Horizons. So.. everything we currently have in Elite will be possible in Odyssey, this includes VR. It is only when you enter FPS mode that VR is not supported. What sort of transition we can expect, is yet to be described.

Please correct me if Frontier have stated otherwise.

My hope is it is because they are playing a bit of.poker with oculus.
Oculus won't want their version of the game to be a dead end, and indeed oculus are well aware about what a good ambassador for VR ED has been.

Seems like a perfect fit for oculus to jump in with what would be a drop in the bucket amount of cash for them to ensure VR comes to oculus ED (possibly with a short oculus store exclusive window and throw existing ED users free horizons key IF they buy the odyssey DLC.

The only issue with that would be steamVR users....but there is ReVive and besides oculus only had like a 1 month store exclusive on DR2 VR.

Note this is just wishful thinking !

I've been playing ED since 2015. Oh, if I only knew what the VR game was like at that time. Not in 2019. How stupid I was, how much time I lost behind a 40 " monitor.

Now for the gist.
It's time to collect money to buy out Braben and FD, Horizons and launch them into free float. And something tells me that the game will develop faster and better.

You can count me among these players having logged more than 1400 hours and much of it in VR. :)

Yes, some concern is warranted, but I'm not sure a 200+ page thread is justified ;)

The very first Q I had on seeing the video and reading the announcement was "what about VR?". As soon as I read the follow up dev post answering that Q, I was "satisfied" with that answer. People have to realise that Frontier cannot "promise" to add VR because there are simply too many factors which could prevent it, this is just the reality of game development.

So, it makes sense to say "please try to add VR, pretty please" but it makes no sense (IMO) to be all doom and gloom and toys thrown out of the crib. Not at this stage. Wait till they actually tell us they're not adding VR, and not adding any support for players who want to play both VR and FPS.. because, IMO, that day will never come. Worst case scenario I can see is them saying they cannot add VR and then bending over backwards to make the transition from VR to FPS as nice as humanly possible, that's the Frontier I've been supporting for the last 8 years.
I agree 200+ pages is crazy but FD could have avoided it with a little less ambiguity. I'm also sure they will happily lighten my wallet on a "maybe". I'm sure this update has been in the making for some considerable time, I'm sure they know far more accurately whether VR will ever be implemented In Odyssey. I little bit more clarity would really help. I feel like a child asking mummy for a new toy, "maybe" always means no.

Vr game sold on VR only game store..... I think a user is not stupid to feel entitled to the ability to be allowed to purchase and have support for future content for that title without being called a narcissist.

Well, name calling aside (as that's never acceptable) .. when you purchase a game, you're paying for that game as-it-is. You might get some updates included in the purchase price, but you almost never get future expansions included in the purchase price.

The lifetime expansion pass for Elite is different, but was NOT sold as including "VR" in any way, or with any promise to "always include VR support".

Perhaps FD should not have sold a vr version of their game on a VR only store or if they had made it quite clear that it was a special version of the game which would not necessarily be allowed to update like versions on all other stores (esp when sold for the same price)
Are you referring to Steam listing it as "VR compatible"? If so, this is still correct - as the game you bought is entirely VR compatible. The Odyssey expansion isn't and will NOT be listed by Steam as VR compatible, if it was, that would be an error.

So.. I don't think anyone who has paid for Elite has any cause for complaint, at this point. Had they taken pre-orders of Odyssey and advertised it as VR compatible, then you would have a valid complaint.

From this statement is seems we might have a different understanding of what Odyssey is... It's an expansion to Elite, much like Horizons. So.. everything we currently have in Elite will be possible in Odyssey, this includes VR. It is only when you enter FPS mode that VR is not supported. What sort of transition we can expect, is yet to be described.

Please correct me if Frontier have stated otherwise.
That was my hope but I think it was somewhat squashed in stream at the weekend. For now it is uncertain where the split will be but best to assume NO vr at all in odyssey at launch and that is from a Dev.

You are right and I think that sort of ambiguity deserves the concern of VR players that have so much investment in the game.

This isn't complicated at all. They need to clarify this with a DEFINITE ANSWER (i.e "there will be full VR support for Odyssey, ETA Q4 2021").
I will sure as hell not invest any more time and money, IF VR is a dead end for Elite. Legit not logging in until this is clarified.

I've got other amazing VR sims to play in the meantime so I can wait.

Deleted member 251664

D

Good for you, I am not satisfied by that reply. Because it is intentionally not clear wether they intend to implement VR support or not after launch. I thought community managers were there to clarify things instead of shrouding the hard truth in ambiguous and corporate jargon.

I agree 200+ pages is crazy but FD could have avoided it with a little less ambiguity. I'm also sure they will happily lighten my wallet on a "maybe". I'm sure this update has been in the making for some considerable time, I'm sure they know far more accurately whether VR will ever be implemented In Odyssey. I little bit more clarity would really help. I feel like a child asking mummy for a new toy, "maybe" always means no.

Sadly, they cannot be clearer without putting themselves in an unfortunate position similar to Hello Games with No Man's Sky. TBH, I would not prefer promises that cannot be kept. Even if they had a working VR prototype at this point and were evaluating it for game experience quality they still couldn't share this, at this point, as it risks giving a false impression of the expansion and will influence people to buy something based on that false promise. In games development, not saying something is not "maybe" and it definitely doesn't always mean "no".

This isn't complicated at all. They need to clarify this with a DEFINITE ANSWER (i.e "there will be full VR support for Odyssey, ETA Q4 2021").
I will sure as hell not invest any more time and money, IF VR is a dead end for Elite. Legit not logging in until this is clarified.

I've got other amazing VR sims to play in the meantime so I can wait.
who says they made any plans yet? They might not even know themselfs. VR might not even be coming.

Well, name calling aside (as that's never acceptable) .. when you purchase a game, you're paying for that game as-it-is. You might get some updates included in the purchase price, but you almost never get future expansions included in the purchase price.
you would have a valid complaint.

Forget VR for a second. Imagine borderlands 3 sold on epic and on steam.

Now imagine if steam sold a new expansion but it explicitly epic store would not be allowed to sell it. All epic users are sool.

I am not saying it never happens but if it does you can be certain there is a whole. .... Storm.

AFAIK when this has happened (it did happen with blazerush as it happens) all existing owners of blazerush were given a free oculus store key to play in VR

Deleted member 251664

D
Sadly, they cannot be clearer without putting themselves in an unfortunate position similar to Hello Games with No Man's Sky. TBH, I would not prefer promises that cannot be kept. Even if they had a working VR prototype at this point and were evaluating it for game experience quality they still couldn't share this, at this point, as it risks giving a false impression of the expansion and will influence people to buy something based on that false promise. In games development, not saying something is not "maybe" and it definitely doesn't always mean "no".

Not looking for promises, but for honest intent. That is what builds credibility. Go check Hello Games changelog for NMS. That's how you communicate to your supporters.

Well that should bring this thread to an end then! :) But while we are on the topic of names for things look up Narcissistic Entitlement the fallacy that ones uniqueness or superiority entitles one to special treatment or extra resources. :)
Sure...as long as you look up argumentum ad hominem and passive-aggressive name-calling I’m sure we’ll all be fine.

Have fun not being affected by no VR in EDO!

Hi Alec,

We’re still reading everything, rest assured! :)

We don’t have any more details at the moment on how that split would work yet, however we’ve heard the questions and the feedback. We’ll be sharing more information closer to release.

To reiterate (it’s a long thread, things easily get lost!) you will still be able to play the base game and Horizons with VR, that isn’t changing.

Cheers,

Tim
Please do not let this mob force late changes that ruin the entire expansion for everyone else. Scrapping/limiting gameplay that isn’t VR comparable to satisfy a small group is just bad business. There are thousands upon thousands waiting to purchase this expansion to play it in all its glory. Don’t turn this into another fleet carriers situation.

Good for you, I am not satisfied by that reply. Because it is intentionally not clear wether they intend to implement VR support or not after launch. I thought community managers were there to clarify things instead of shrouding the hard truth in ambiguous and corporate jargon.
Sadly, they cannot be clearer than they have been without making a false promise. There are too many variables for them to state with the necessary certainty that they will release Odyssey with VR at any point. But, I think you can read the statements they have made to imply that they would like to, and given that, and the natural benefit (in terms of revenue) of actually doing so.. you can almost rely on. Provided there isn't a technical issue, or VR with FPS simply "doesn't work" (Personally, I am afraid this will be the case) then I think we have a good chance of getting it. But, they can't say that, even if they agree with me!

How do you know?

Deleted member 251664

D
Sadly, they cannot be clearer than they have been without making a false promise. There are too many variables for them to state with the necessary certainty that they will release Odyssey with VR at any point. But, I think you can read the statements they have made to imply that they would like to, and given that, and the natural benefit (in terms of revenue) of actually doing so.. you can almost rely on. Provided there isn't a technical issue, or VR with FPS simply "doesn't work" (Personally, I am afraid this will be the case) then I think we have a good chance of getting it. But, they can't say that, even if they agree with me!

We crossposted, so I repeat the reply: Not looking for promises, but for honest intent. That is what builds credibility. Go check Hello Games changelog for NMS. That's how you communicate to your supporters.

That was my hope but I think it was somewhat squashed in stream at the weekend. For now it is uncertain where the split will be but best to assume NO vr at all in odyssey at launch and that is from a Dev.
Hmm.. I need to watch that stream but this would be very surprising to me. I cannot see why an Odyssey launcher (akin to the Horizons one) would prevent the VR features of Elite from continuing to operate.. but perhaps there is a technical limitation there.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom