ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Basically all that Frontier said was "no VR at launch because it'd be crap."
We all have been here before, when such evasive corpo-language was used. I simply do not believe they will follow on that, especially given Braben's shift on stance on VR. That's why VR players are kicking up the stink, because when we tell you it's impossible to return to 2d after VR we're saying the truth. So pancake odyssey is a no-go for us. Plus, they said to the press (rtovr) that even the date is "unspecified" which in corpo terms means "we're NOT looking into it, and we're NOT planning it". You can add "right now", in vain hope.

Deleted member 110222

D
It's an outrage though, I have been playing all Half-Life titles FPS since HL1 in what, 1998? Where is the non VR HL Aylex version for me to play on my 144FPS 2k monitor? I'm so enraged i'm finished with Newell and Valve forever. I'm going to stamp my feet like an upset child until I get what I want.

Lol. See what is did there?
I actually did stamp my feet and act pathetically over HLA.

I've since been utterly humiliated over it. I'm a changed gamer over it and it was a big part of what made me take this new stance of "we get what we are given".

Give it a month. Most people complaining over the VR news here will also get over it. It's a shock to the system. We'll see the same outburst of emotion when ED server support is discontinued in the future. Hopefully there's quite some time before that but yeah.

Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7
Hi Tim,
I really appreciate the clarification on this.

I play almost exclusively in VR and the cockpit experience is amazing. I'd ask that FD reconsider Odyssey support for VR, at least for the cockpit experience. It would be a real shame to remove it when it already works so well.

If FD are concerned about the experience of VR players then I'd argue that Odyssey without at least cockpit VR will be a far poorer experience than currently exists in the game.

Thanks for your time,
Iain

But if you like, they could delay Odyssy further just so VR is in at launch. That will surely be seen as a rational and welcome decision by the player base..
Sarcasm aside I will take your point at face value.
I don't think anyone has asked for ED;O to be delayed... However from a selfish POV the choice of a delayed game I want to play Vs just A game I no longer want to play then the choice is obvious for me. (Even if both are horrible choices).

But I don't think anyone has asked for a delay... However for launch i woild much prefer the same seated vr support we have now In horizons for odyssey as well as a (togglable) basic VR support for the legs part which is easy to do and is often done by hobbiest folk OR it automatically jumping to flat screen for parts not Vr supported at launch both in VR and on the monitor (As done by hellblade) with a pledge to put some developer time on sanding down rough VR edges AFTER launch.
Throwing all VR under a bus because of 1 new mechanic added to the game is the worst of all options.
And if it is because you need a high end gpu to run the new planet terrain in VR so be it. Some of us have high end rigs and for those who don't, what is high end today won't be so high end in 1 years time.

PC games have graphics options it is one of the (becoming fewer and fewer ) advantages of the platform . ED:O is coming out on Xbox 1 so the new planet tech is not going to be that demanding at low detail at least.

But if you like, they could delay Odyssy further just so VR is in at launch. That will surely be seen as a rational and welcome decision by the player base..
Which basically means no VR for any future Elite expansions because they're not commiting to add it later.

I don't want Odyssey delayed any further.
What I can't understand is why keeping the already existing cockpit VR experience in the game would affect that.

What I can't understand is why keeping the already existing cockpit VR experience in the game would affect tha
Nobody knows that - until fdev share more details people are just guessing. Hopefully people can suggest solutions that fdev have missed, but until we see what the content is...

Nobody knows that - until fdev share more details people are just guessing. Hopefully people can suggest solutions that fdev have missed, but until we see what the content is...
It was confirmed in a live stream over the weekend. Whilst FD are not certain 100% yet it is best to assume Odyssey will be completely devoid of all VR both seated and not seated :(
Up until that point I too was banking on it being loose wording and ED:O would have some VR for the older content

You're right, I did say I don't understand why.
Hopefully we'll get more information on that.

It was confirmed in a live stream over the weekend. Whilst FD are not certain 100% yet it is best to assume Odyssey will be completely devoid of all VR both seated and not seated
I listened to that stream too, heart sank when I heard it.

Personally I don't think graphics are the reason it won't be in at launch. I think the reason is gameplay.

How they implement FPS movement in VR matters immensely. I don't want to play a multiplayer FPS mode with VR players that teleport from place to place whilst I'm trying to shoot at them. Of course I could always wait for them to stop and vomit from motion sickness. Easy to get the headshot then (they may even appreciate the sweet release).

You say no VR ruins the game. I say poorly implemented VR will ruin it faster.

In any case, I daresay official confirmation of the existance (or non-existance) of VR in post-launch Odyssy will come eventually. You are going to have to wait.

In it's absence, there is always VorpX (if you can get the settings right).

Last edited:
We'll see the same outburst of emotion when ED server support is discontinued in the future. Hopefully there's quite some time before that but yeah.

I do think this is a fitting comparison - for us VR users it means that this is where ED's development stops, end of journey. I think most of the experienced users know exactly that FDev are not planning to provide VR later for Odyssey, and how could they then consider to include it in any future season if they left it out for Odyssey ? It's the end of VR for ED, as simple as that.

So while we may continue to play the currently existing game, this announcement made it clear that FDev will no longer pursue VR support. Which in turn means that it will create more and more of a disconnect with the rest of the community, feeling left behind and at disadvantage for any competitive action (just remember how well non-Horizons players are doing with their unengineered vessels in PvP...) and many VR users will be looking for a new home sooner or later.

So yes, for us it is a bit as if FDev are starting to switch off the servers, making it unattractive to even continue playing the current game, because the other players can evolve in a way we can't.

I suppose when that event, switching the servers off for all users, happens, some of those mocking the VR users now may start to understand. Don't worry, we will then be around to let you know that it's not that bad and just a game, get over it, etc..

Last edited:

How they implement FPS movement in VR matters immensely. I don't want to play a multiplayer FPS mode with VR players that teleport from place to place whilst I'm trying to shoot at them. Of course I could always wait for them to stop and vomit from motion sickness. Easy to get the headshot then (they may even appreciate the sweet release).

I completely agree with all of that and I'm NOT sure I want VR FPS, but seated/cockpit VR is already in the game and I'd really like that to continue.

In any case, I daresay official confirmation of the existance (or non-existance) of VR in post-launch Odyssy will come eventually. You are going to have to wait.

Non-existance is confirmed, I'd like them to change their mind and support cockpit VR at a minimum as long as it doesn't impact Odyssey release.

edit: I'm NOT sure about VR FPS in Elite

Last edited:
Personally I don't think graphics are the reason it won't be in at launch. I think the reason is gameplay.

Teleport is a non starter you are correct but I play NMS (more often than not seated as well) 100% in VR with full locomotion and often see VR and none VR players side by side (you can tell based on arm position)

IF the game goes in with bare bones HL2 VR implementation (pad control) for legs VR players will be at a HUGE disadvantage to KB/M players. I don't care I still would choose it. For those who don't want that disadvantage they could turn it off
IF the game went FULL decent quality VR with hand tracking like nibre is doing for Halo Reach VR users would still be at a disadvantage to KB/M Simply due to reaction times etc (play in vR like you play with KB/M and you can see how out rageously unrealistic it is BUT VR would gain better blind fire mechanics and cover mechanics so the advantage would be less.
Either way I don't play for competitive advantage . But that is what options are for. I suck at PvP FPS as I don't enjoy it, regardless of the tools.

Last edited:
The only official confirmation I have seen is the "no VR at launch" statement. If you want to interpret that as "no VR ever again cause we hate VR users and don't want their money", then good for you. I still say wait for Frontier to clarify their position in plain english.

By the way, I don't use VR, but if I did it would be for Elite.

I actually did stamp my feet and act pathetically over HLA.

I've since been utterly humiliated over it. I'm a changed gamer over it and it was a big part of what made me take this new stance of "we get what we are given".

Give it a month. Most people complaining over the VR news here will also get over it. It's a shock to the system. We'll see the same outburst of emotion when ED server support is discontinued in the future. Hopefully there's quite some time before that but yeah.

I like you Dude... even watched one of your twitch streams, but you are so wrong on this VR issue. Most people complaining won’t get over it. Not even close. I don’t expect or ask you to understand because VR is not your thing and that’s ok.

also as much as you may love half life and be frustrated that the latest in the series is VR exclusive, you didn’t help fund the game. ED exists as much because of the VR kickstarters as anyone else. Id argue the “stamping feet” are more warranted over ED than half life

Last edited:

Tim Smith

Lead Community Manager
If any of the CM's are still reading I have a genuine question ...

Will people in VR still be able to fly space ships around beneath a blue sky?

In other words, at what point is VR not supported? Is it when you enter glide for an atmospheric world, when you transition to "legs", or when you launch an "Odyssey" version of Elite?

Hi Alec,

We’re still reading everything, rest assured! :)

We don’t have any more details at the moment on how that split would work yet, however we’ve heard the questions and the feedback. We’ll be sharing more information closer to release.

To reiterate (it’s a long thread, things easily get lost!) you will still be able to play the base game and Horizons with VR, that isn’t changing.

Cheers,

Tim

The only official confirmation I have seen is the "no VR at launch" statement. If you want to interpret that as "no VR ever again cause we hate VR users and don't want their money", then good for you. I still say wait for Frontier to clarify their position in plain english.

By the way, I don't use VR, but if I did it would be for Elite.
You're putting words in my mouth, I don't think FD hate VR users or that they don't want their money.

FD have clarified their position, they have stated "no VR at launch", they have also NOT stated, "we commit to VR after launch".
ergo, the current factual situation is that FD are not supporting VR in Elite from Odyssey forward.
'Hoping' that will change is not supported by their current statements. Even giving the benefit of the doubt FD have used the "not at launch" term before with no follow up.

We're broadly agreeing you know, but for VR users the time to speak up is now.

Can you imagine taking a shot every time someone moans about no VR?
Comments like that are not helpful. If you had invested the money in the setup to run VR, then you would right now be feeling sidelined.

Have you ever played Elite in VR? I doubt it, because if you had then I can honestly say that you would never want to play it on a monitor ever again.

How about being kind and try to understand why VR users are wanting to be heard. After all now is the best time to campaign for VR support whilst development is in it's early stages.

Have a good day.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom