ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No, VR has not been removed from Odyssey. It can't be removed from something that never had it in the first place.
Odyssey is a new unreleased expansion, which will not have VR.

Let's play semantics. I have an expansion built onto my house. It's an extension in the form of a conservatory. In order for it to be built against the current structure and be accessible, the architect tells me that the existing back wall won't be there. He then goes on to tell me that as extension didn't have the back wall attached to it, the back wall wasn't removed.

I ask the builder where all the bricks filing the skip on my drive came from. He shrugs his shoulders and I ask him how many sugars he takes in his tea.

Let's play semantics. I have an expansion built onto my house. It's an extension in the form of a conservatory. In order for it to be built against the current structure and be accessible, the architect tells me that the existing back wall won't be there. He then goes on to tell me that as extension didn't have the back wall attached to it, the back wall wasn't removed.

I ask the builder where all the bricks filing the skip on my drive came from. He shrugs his shoulders and I ask him how many sugars he takes in his tea.
Trying to figure out how relevant that is, but I can't.

Really? I have a friend who plays ED in VR For the ship bits, but comes out to pancake for the SRV as 15 minutes of that makes him want to vomit. This is despite trying all the options in settings. Guess some people never get VR wings.
I'd check if his IPD is dialled in correctly in the HMD. If he has wide or narrow IPD and has a HMD which doesn't have IPD adjustment like Rift S, it can wreak havoc despite seemingly looking correct to the eye. I took ~ six weeks to accustom myself fully. I remember lifting up from Coriolis gave me the unpleasant stomach feeling. If all else fails, I'm told eating ginger helps.

Last edited:
Where did I say VR should be removed?

You didn't and I didn't say that you did.

Get a grip!

Touchy... o_O:)

Although comparing suffering with allergies to VR motion sickness is a very tenuous analogy on your part,

I didn't.

Never the less motion sickness is an issue for some particularly in FPS.

For Some. True.

I was playing with the whole VR being a minority player base thing that has appeared in this thread. Your post about VR sickness gave me a vehicle to respond by making a point about 'minorities', as opposed to a reaction to you. Obviously I hadn't made that clear.

It was never there in the first place so it's not taken away.

Odyssey is not here yet, but we are - playing a game marketed and sold as a VR game. This was front and center on ED website until late 2018 - thats when then made the call to dump VR and thats when they should have announced it in the first place.

I know what you are trying to do btw, but you are wrong. Sorry mate.

You didn't and I didn't say that you did.

Touchy... o_O:)

I didn't.

For Some. True.

I was playing with the whole VR being a minority player base thing that has appeared in this thread. Your post about VR sickness gave me a vehicle to respond by making a point about 'minorities', as opposed to a reaction to you. Obviously I hadn't made that clear.
I think you heavily implied it with your ban boats etc. comment.
VR motion sickness is a problem for some people. I can’t even play pancake FPS games where they do the screen bobbing thing when you run as it gives me motion sickness. I want to try VR, but have concerns I won’t get used to it and it will be an expensive gadget that doesn’t get used. Although I hope it will be good for DCS even if I can’t use it for all of Elite. So if/when VR gets added to Odyssey I hope it is maximum user friendly to VR motion sickness sufferers.

I'd check if his IPD is dialled in correctly in the HMD. If he has wide or narrow IPD and has a HMD which doesn't have IPD adjustment like Rift S, it can wreak havoc despite seemingly looking correct to the eye. I took ~ six weeks to accustom myself fully. I remember lifting up from Coriolis gave me the unpleasant stomach feeling. If all else fails, I'm told eating ginger helps.
Eating ginger?! It helps morning sickness in pregnancy, but that is different thing. I will mention it to him. He will need to get himself a packet of ginger nuts to munch while playing ED!

This isn't your house. This is FDevs house. You're just visiting it and have previously paid for the privilege to be there. If FDev build an add-on to their house that you don't like, you can choose to pay to go in that room, not to pay to go in that room, or you can storm out of the whole house and loudly proclaim that "you'll never be back to this establishment!" because you didn't like the new room you weren't forced to go in.

Odyssey is not here yet, but we are - playing a game marketed and sold as a VR game. This was front and center on ED website until late 2018 - thats when then made the call to dump VR and thats when they should have announced it in the first place.

I know what you are trying to do btw, but you are wrong. Sorry mate.
The base game is advertised for VR as is Horizons. Odyssey is not. The base game and horizons can still be played in VR.

What exactly do you think I'm trying to do?

All I want is the histrionics to stop. The more that goes on, the less people will care, the less support there will be, and I don't want that as I want VR in Odyssey.

The hysteria surrounding the absence of VR at launch is hilarious. It's almost like you don't want VR in Odyssey at all so you've got something to rage against.

Y'all need to chill and wait for more information. We have very little idea about what the Odyssey series of updates will include. Hopefully Frontier will give us more details soon so that people's heads can stop (virtually) spinning.

The base game is advertised for VR as is Horizons. Odyssey is not. The base game and horizons can still be played in VR.

What exactly do you think I'm trying to do?

All I want is the histrionics to stop. The more that goes on, the less people will care, the less support there will be, and I don't want that as I want VR in Odyssey.

ED was marketed and sold as a VR game. Odyssey is not a separate game.

The hysteria surrounding the absence of VR at launch is hilarious. It's almost like you don't want VR in Odyssey at all so you've got something to rage against.

Y'all need to chill and wait for more information. We have very little idea about what the Odyssey series of updates will include. Hopefully Frontier will give us more details soon so that people's heads can stop (virtually) spinning.
I disagree. If you don't like what's in Odyssey (or not in it), now is the time to do something about it, not when the release candidate is done and dusted.

ED the base game. Odyssey is an optional addition, that doesn't support VR.

If the base and Horizons continue to evolve (graphics, contents, ... ) with a serious roadmap, yes indeed, Odyssey will only be an option.
So, logically, Horizons will be upgraded with the graphics ehancements of Odyssey.

Last edited:
If the base and Horizons continue to evolve (graphics, contents, ... ) with a serious roadmap, yes indeed, Odyssey will only be an option.
So, logically, Horizons will be upgraded with the graphics ehancements of Odyssey.
I'm sure the base game and Horizons will evolve, much like the base game did with horizons. And I fully expect the new planetary tech to be a part of horizons planets too.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom