ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
They clearly say it is more than just combat. Plus, if PvP isn't your bag, then just play Solo or Private Group.
Has there been confirmation that we will see NPC equivalents for all the content tho ? If not it really may just be a minor graphical filter on planets if all the FPS stuff is like the SRV, ship's crew or wingmates. That is one of my 2 concerns for the game and FDs silence on it is a bit worrying. Given they know a large.amount of us moaned about that in horizons I would have though 1 line of " and you can do all the new content in a group or by yourself" would have been a no brainer comment without giving away any more secrets than they are prepared to, if they knew it to be the case. (Just like there is no reason not to include VR support in steam if they know it will be supported given they know what an iconic vr game ED is)
Silence isn't always golden and indeed IME is quite the opposite with ED

Last edited:
Hey i didn't mention Star Citizen. That thing is just foul now anyway its out of scope. Its a weird cult. The game exists when they tell us, nothing else.

Also i don't think frontier were running on fumes for 6 years giving us alpha patches. Its a function of their style and ability that we have what we have. They have 3 full release titles from the same company / people in the same offices since then so i don't think proposing that elite would be held back until next year otherwise is the correct mindset.

I didn't mean SC. What I was trying to say was that traditionally games are largely developed behind closed doors for all or large portions of their time. See GTA, Cyberpunk, RDR2 etc. At the end of the development you get, for better or worse, the finished version minus the iteration, the improved quests, major bugs etc.

Elite hasn't been like that. We've played it, or been able to play it, solidly for over 6 years so by the time we get what looks like a pretty big and what looks like technically more advanced update, we've seen all the warts. Imagine if GTA was developed in the same way and the first release was just an empty city you could drive around in. 6 years later you got the finished version.

I wonder if people would have preferred to wait for 6 years to get Odyssey or to have played the game's numerous releases as they happened?

Personally I'm glad they did it like this, it's crazy on a game of such a wild scope but it's been fun to play and follow.

Interesting. I'll admit I was hyped when I saw the video, but the Devil is in the detail. Are the new planets all dustbowls? ... etc :)

Very interesting question indeed and there might be a hint in the mail we got:
See the galaxy like never before. Touch down on breathtaking planets powered by stunning new tech, soak in suns rising over unforgettable vistas

I think that is revealing something about what we will encounter..

C'mon mate, it's not exactly ground breaking graphics.. It's good, but nowhere near as good as you seem to think. Have you seen what other devs are putting out? That looks like alpha footage to me. They have been talking about this new tech for a while, specifically for ice worlds.
Indeed I saw nothing there that I don't think FD could deliver on (didn't look as good as the iceplanet target image in 2017 . I look forward to seeing what they are like in new version

UE 5 looks like the bar is going to be somewhat raised for surface generation and whilst I don't expect FD to match that level of detail, 2014 visuals would not cut it

Personally I am more concerned a out WHAT we will be doing on those planets.

Last edited:
I have read just the first 20 pages so far written, and maybe after ( but I don't think in the next page was written something different ) someone wrote what I'm writing now (so please forgive me), but: nobody has thought about the fact that putting the fps in open will generate a huge wave of cheaters? and will it become like all the online fps games full of cheaters? Beautiful, the first week, then the desire passes and you go back to doing the exact same things as before, at least you don't waste time and you don't get ed. Can't we already go around the planets and collect what we need with srv? or discover strange new worlds? In a short time everything will turn into an exaggerated breeding to increase the new rank and will become like all online fps (COD, Xfire, combat arms etc)

To be honest the best thing about this trailer is all the Star Citizen Fanbois loosing their collective poopoo over the possibility of Frontier actually achieving what Star Citizen has promised on a fraction of the budget.

Absolutely agree with you (y)

Oh yea.
I just imagined me aiming a pea-shooter at a big ugly Guardian Drone.

Come on guys, you already seeing the Hoth battle happening all over again?
LOLz, ok then, how about you taking down a stock conda with your BFG, doesn't that hit the mark?

I have read just the first 20 pages so far written, and maybe after ( but I don't think in the next page was written something different ) someone wrote what I'm writing now (so please forgive me), but: nobody has thought about the fact that putting the fps in open will generate a huge wave of cheaters? and will it become like all the online fps games full of cheaters? Beautiful, the first week, then the desire passes and you go back to doing the exact same things as before, at least you don't waste time and you don't get ed. Can't we already go around the planets and collect what we need with srv? or discover strange new worlds? In a short time everything will turn into an exaggerated breeding to increase the new rank and will become like all online fps (COD, Xfire, combat arms etc)
I imagine it will be more like Fallout 4 or Cyberpunk 2077 an RPG first with FPS elements.

That is what graphical and LOD settings are for. My 7mhz Amiga ran frontier and so did a top of the range pc with more eye candy and better frame rate. The only thing stopping it working would be ram but both PS4 and XB1 have a reasonable amount of that so I see no reason at all why they can't run any game which could.ever come out on pc..... It just won't look as nice or have as good a framerate
At 7Mhz it was a little slower, better at 14Mhz (68020) if I'm not confused.
But the whole game (exactly the same galaxy + landings on atmospheric planets with cities) still fit on a floppy disk and weighed 900kb.

But unfortunately no water? So no earth like planets. But Space Engineers (which is considerably less complex in design) has earthlike planets. So I still have hope!

I obviously hope for landable elws as well. But I'm almost more thrilled to land on an ammonia or water planet.

interstellar.jpg

Folk thinking about earth-like planets will probably need to get their expectations in check before further announcements come along.

Even going back to 2014, they said then they'd do airless moons and asteroids first, followed by barren atmospheric worlds like present day Mars, before moving on to more complex atmospheric worlds (probably also in several phases).

The visuals in the trailer jive pretty perfectly with that second phase of planetary development.

Earth-like worlds might never come, but if they do, procedural biomes and alien life that varies across millions of planets (without being cartoony like NMS or Spore), and interacts consistently with other procedural life as well as players, is probably going to be a while game's worth of dev-time (and recruitment-, theory-, experimentation-, and trial-and-error-time) just on its own.

Still, this is a big step in that direction. The first major step in five years.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom