ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
How much does the average VR setup cost these days?
How many people have lost their jobs during this pandemic?
There are over 4 million PC headsets in use, the announcement of Half-Life alyx sold out valve and Oculus headsets alone and on day one of the release that game had 50,000 people playing. So if Fdev would have shown the video playing Odyssey in both 2D and VR, the VR community would have exploded with excitement, it would have brought a ton of new players to the game. Just another missed opportunity.

Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7

Being as I bough a VR compatible game how do I get a refund for my LEP? Having been a customer for this long I know what your statement on VR means (it isn't ever going to work with VR because you can't be bothered to make it work). Not fit for purpose / breach of contract want my money back?

BTW No Mans Sky has VR, both for in ship and FPS movement.

BTW It didn't ship with it. Remember how NMS actually shipped? I remember. I liked it on launch too, unlike the mass waves of people that didn't and felt lied to. Be careful with comparisons.

Uh huh. Then why all the "moaning" if it's just a few scant elements of the player base?

What utter nonsense!

Trium

Unfortunately some people enjoy moaning rather than appreciating what they have or will be receiving, and i assume are the same in real life, all i can say to those that feel so strongly is uninstall the game and leave the forums or hey just wait to purchase Odyssey when VR is available.

I am 100% Frontier have a reason that VR is not supported in the future update and understand it will not fit everyone and they will address it over time, and i am also sure they have not excluded VR to personally upset you, it just does not fit the update YET?

What is Nonsense about that???

So you think none of this new planetary tech is included free with horizons?
Exactly that, my friend.
Odyssey contains amazing tech (shortened) that doesn't appear to be backward compatible with previous versions. (I'd surmise that it has been built on a newer version of Cobra that didn't have VR hooks included - maybe the latest 'park' version?)
We may only have to wait briefly for the whole team to integrate the VR code, but seeing as orbit lines in VR have been awry for more than a year, I wonder if they actually have any competent VR Devs left working there...

Deleted member 110222

D
Yes, that decision is downright insulting. I deliberately spent quite a lot of money in Frontier Store to SUPPORT FURTHER DEVELOPMENT OF ELITE.
I'm a VR-only player and they just lost me a customer and a FAN. Your sorry attempts at sarcasm hardly change anything. :D
Always assume the money you use to buy a game pays for a Ferrari.

If you want to support a game, you invest money, not buy a retail product.

No, I love my HTC Vive, I started ED in VR.
I am saying that many Commanders cannot afford VR, especially during this pandemic crisis. Hopefully VR will be available in the future. In my opinion, VR is the ultimate ideal. However, given the choice between more folks playing and the budget constraints of Frontier, I can sympathize that VR will currently not be implemented.

As it is, I have a feeling I will be buying Odyssey for friends who are out of work or can't otherwise afford it. And it will be my pleasure.

You're talking as if we're asking for it to be VR only. No one is saying that.

You yourself started in VR, imagine how many others have, and remained in VR. It's really crappy to be told you can't play in VR anymore. And let's be honest, thats what is being said to a lot of CMDRS now - me included - you can't play in VR anymore.

Yes, that decision is downright insulting. I deliberately spent quite a lot of money in Frontier Store to SUPPORT FURTHER DEVELOPMENT OF ELITE.
I'm a VR-only player and they just lost me a customer and a FAN. Your sorry attempts at sarcasm hardly change anything. :D

Why not just continue lobbying for them to implement it in the future? If enough people continue doing so, that's the evidence they need that it's still a worthwhile task. If all of the VR players quit, it's more likely that you're only guaranteeing that they will not add it in later because you're withdrawing all interest.

I'd like to hear what Frontier's plans for VR are long term after Odyssey. Is VR being dropped entirely at some point or is it something that will be added down the road in a future patch?

The reason i bought ED was the fact that it had VR support. And while i enjoyed all my time so far playing the game my only regret is having bought the LEP when Horizons released. With dropped VR support, the LEP may have turned out a even bigger waste of money for me after all these years without an paid expansion.

Last edited:
[

DLC. Nothing is being removed from what we already have.

ok good. so is Odessey a totally separate FPS or is it like the Horizons was where if you have it you can land on planets and if you don't you can't? Will we at least be able to get atmospheric planet landing in Horizons?

is it like, a case where VR won't work at all if you're playing in "Odyessy mode" but will still work in "Horizon mode"? As long we we can still use VR for the space bits when we want I don't think I'd be too upset.

While Elite is my fav VR game of all time, I think I'm ok with no VR for "walking" cause it's just always so nauseating to me... just doesn't feel like they have figured it out yet - it's like the "T9 style keyboard and trackball" keyboard when it comes to walking, IMHO

I'm probably not alone in thiking about subscribing to Star Citizen's forums, and encouraging them to support VR. I think the competition might Whet CIG's appetite.
Hahahaa.. With SC running at 20 fps when it's not in VR mode? I don't think so. Remember: two eyes to render at 90 ftp. Even at a modest 1600x1600 resolution per eye, that's a lot of pixels to push

Being as I bough a VR compatible game how do I get a refund for my LEP? Having been a customer for this long I know what your statement on VR means (it isn't ever going to work with VR because you can't be bothered to make it work). Not fit for purpose / breach of contract want my money back?

You can do that through Frontier Store support. Don't get your hopes up there though. There's not enough information about their future plans and I'm sure you have had plenty of time put into the game. If you want to pursue 'breach of contract', bring it up to a lawyer, legal speak isn't going to get you far here.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom