ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
MalicVR said yesterday Horizons was the same, until close to release. To paraphrase his stream yesterday: calm down people :)

Fair enough, but again it wouldn't be hard to pop in, like they did about the LEP question, to say "yes of course this works in VR."

Like I said, just concerned about being able to fully enjoy one of my favorite games.

Is atmospheric landings for real? This is my deal breaker...

Yes, obviously, it's shown in the trailer.

Fair enough, but again it wouldn't be hard to pop in, like they did about the LEP question, to say "yes of course this works in VR."

Like I said, just concerned about being able to fully enjoy one of my favorite games.

Adding VR support to games powered by modern engines is relatively trivial. All this excitement about the potential absence of VR is silly.

Edit:: Well that post didn't age well......

Last edited:
I'm hoping there will be NPC and other player interactions as well as exploration etc type activities available that don't involve picking your way through a combat zone.
Don't worry, besides being able to shoot things and enemies, you'll be able to do other kinds of interaction with them, like hitting them with the butt of the gun or kicking the privates in the privates. Lots of things to do. :D

Yes, obviously, it's shown in the trailer.
Ok. For a moment I thought it was just rocky planets not ice planets.

Tim Smith

Lead Community Manager
Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7

This is disappointing. I started ED to be a commander, not a pedestrian. If I wanted to walk around I'd be playing Halo or Call of Duty. If this goes the way I think it will, it will completely ruin the game for me. If I do stick around, I'll probably get my jollies mowing down fools on the ground with my ship. This is just stupid.

Did I miss an announcement that they're removing ships from the game?

Thought not.

Although I am very happy about the announcement, they are not really showing anything yet ... I see many people talking about a video that does not show the real game, of that I am sure ... I don't understand the exaltation of some commenting on a CGI video,then come disappointments ...

Is that no one remembers the first elite trailers? they looked even better than this(2014). Sorry, i'm just trying to be realistic.

this video is "in Engine" like shown at the beginning, the one you posted was CGI, it makes a lot of a difference.

Greetings Commanders,

Thank you for your overwhelmingly positive response to the announcement of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey. We’ve been really excited to share this and it’s amazing to see that you all feel the same way!

This is just the beginning and we will be sharing more details and information in the coming months that you can look forward to.

We’re seeing all your streams, videos, posts and questions and, today, we wanted to answer a few for you straight away:

Is Elite Dangerous: Odyssey coming to VR?

Currently, Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will not be VR-compatible at launch. We’re big fans of VR and we are truly proud of the amazing experience that we currently offer in Elite Dangerous. However, the new gameplay, mechanics and features that will be introduced with Elite Dangerous: Odyssey means that we had to re-examine if we could deliver that same experience without compromise, which, for launch, means Odyssey will not be VR-compatible.

Will there be Base Building in Elite Dangerous: Odyssey?
Base building is not currently on the roadmap for Elite Dangerous, however we have plenty of new features planned instead such as on-foot exploration, new planetary tech, social hubs, combat as well as more to be shared later on! We’re looking to put our best foot forward with Odyssey and if you’d like an overview of what to expect, you can check out the website or Steam page.

Will Elite Dangerous: Odyssey be included in my Lifetime Expansion Pass?
While Elite Dangerous: Odyssey is a paid expansion, we're happy to confirm that yes, this expansion will absolutely be included in the Lifetime Expansion Pass for free.

Stay Safe, Commanders o7

While I know people are focusing on the new shiny legs, can you say what existing features will see updates with Odyssey too?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom