ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget this reveal trailer was released by mistake. Maybe it was made to be revealed at a cancelled big event, or during Lavecon.
So I guess they're back at sticking to their original schedule, not an updated one due to the mistake. Sadly.

You could take 30 odd cryptic screenshots, concept art etc and release them once a week to keep people focussed and not stew as a baseline.

FD did this long ago and should do it again.

Maybe but it was also specified by the developers that they would communicate from the release of the trailer until the release of the update.
But ok, let's be patient!

Fdev weren't on the schedule released last week,
Let's not forget this reveal trailer was released by mistake. Maybe it was made to be revealed at a cancelled big event, or during Lavecon.
So I guess they're back at sticking to their original schedule, not an updated one due to the mistake. Sadly.
Bruce confirmed on a livestream (with CMDR Ascorbius I think) the weekend between the trailer and the carriers release that the trailer was released early, but only by days, it was supposed to be released before the carrier release. So probably that weekend, a few days after it actually dropped.

Maybe but it was also specified by the developers that they would communicate from the release of the trailer until the release of the update.
But ok, let's be patient!
You think they should be communicating every day? Every week? Month? 2 Months?

Maybe ... just maybe ... they have a marketing plan and will just stick to it?

So the plan all along was to drop the Odyssey teaser before FC's went live?

To me that seems like a bad PR choice. Would have been better if they dropped it a week or 2 after the FC's went live.
That way they'd give the community the time to focus on FC's and work out any immediate bugs as a result of the update. Now it feels like the FC release was overshadowed by Odyssey.

As far as I'm aware, Frontier have still not revealed how vanilla, Horizons and Odyssey will fit together. I'll stick with my hobbyhorse of vanilla and Horizons being combined to be the new base option and Odyssey as an add on from that. But who knows? (other than the entirety of Frontier)

As I've said before, it makes sense to make Horizons the new base game as it will cut down on the amount of configuration management and debugging/bugfixing Frontier Developments have to do. Only having the support two distinct code bases is a whole lot easier than to have to maintain three!

And with the price levels that both the base game and the Horizons season pass are being offered at almost constantly (Steam Summer sale has both for 6.24 euros each at the moment) it doesn't make much sense to keep supporting the base game for much longer for the few holdouts that still only have the base game.

Just bite the bullet and reduce your headache I would say to Frontier Developments.

Of course they could also decide to keep the base game and drop Horizons as a purchase option, folding that into Odyssey.

To me that seems like a bad PR choice. Would have been better if they dropped it a week or 2 after the FC's went live.
That way they'd give the community the time to focus on FC's and work out any immediate bugs as a result of the update. Now it feels like the FC release was overshadowed by Odyssey.

I think someone made a mistake when uploading the trailer, forgot to make it private and so it leaked, so they had no choice but to release the trailer officially since the leaked version was already making the rounds. This probably messed up the scheduling around the marketing of Odyssey, but that's the hand they were dealt by this mistake.

My guess is that for the rest of the marketing campaign they've decided to stick to their planning.

I think there was originally supposed to be a game event that weekend, like everything else cancelled due to coronavirus.

Btw - i dont think the MASSES of carriers indicate carriers were overshadowed by anything. Carriers werent aimed at bringing new sales ...

I think there was originally supposed to be a game event that weekend, like everything else cancelled due to coronavirus.

Btw - i dont think the MASSES of carriers indicate carriers were overshadowed by anything. Carriers werent aimed at bringing new sales ...

Fair enough.

Let's also not forget that after the last chapter of the beyond series that it was 2+ MONTHS before we got any sort of update of what was next for the game.

Wouldn't surprise me if they pull something similar here.

As I've said before, it makes sense to make Horizons the new base game as it will cut down on the amount of configuration management and debugging/bugfixing Frontier Developments have to do. Only having the support two distinct code bases is a whole lot easier than to have to maintain three!

Spreading your finite resources over multiple fragmented versions of your game for a long period of time is a non starter for sure. What aspects of "legacy" elite get their support dropped (and when), and how the SKU`s get paired down to something more manageable going forward is anyone guess at the moment. Problem is, people on the forums don't look at this from a standpoint of managing the code and the product, the look at it as "losing" something, so these opinions can be unwelcome.

But for sure at a high level - you are right.

Only having the support two distinct code bases is a whole lot easier than to have to maintain three!
There's only one code base to maintain right now. Horizons is not a separate client. The Horizons DLC is just a DRM license token, it doesn't install any new content. There's no reason to assume that Odyssey will be any different.

If they discontinue Horizons, it'll just mean that its paywalled features get unlocked by default. The effect on the code base would be close to zero.

Oh goody. I assume another paid for add on for vanilla ED like Horizions? Since you can get ED + Horizons and a few extras bundles together for £39.99 there is still a way to go to get VFM from my £120 lifetime pass paid in 2015!!!
So you aren't happy because someone else can buy the game now for less than you paid 5 years ago. You don't think having had access to play for the past 5 years counts for anything. I also pre-purchased for the lifetime pass and I calculate I have had approximately 25 hours of game time for every dollar it cost me. I am sure I have got value for my money.

In the meantime I've had a think on the possible ways they might implement spacelegs. These are the ones I came up with.

1. the most likely way I think is that Spacelegs will be implemented is practically the same way as SRV's are at the moment. As in you select once landed on a planet/planetary base how you want to exit the ship. If you choose legs the standing up and fade to black animation used for SRV's plays and you get 'spawned' near the exit of your ship (i.e. near the backdoor on a sidey or at the front landing gear of the python etc.). Hopefully you'll be able to change your loadout upon exiting your ship, instead of having to choose one on a station as with your ship.

2. You'll be able to actually stand up from your pilotseat once landed at a station/planet and you'll be able to walk around the cockpit. To get out you'll have to walk to the door at the back of the cockpit, you'll get a fade to black and you'll appear outside of your ship near the most likely exit as stated above.

3. Depending on the size of the ship, their might be some crewspace on the ship, that you'll be able to walk around and to get out there'll be an exit somewhere you need to take.

4. your ship's interior is fully implemented, including all modules and you'll be able to walk around/in them. And the exit is through an airlock where you'll either get a fade to black or a seemless transition to the of outside your ship.

I don't think you'll be able to get out of your seat while the ship is flying, either in normal, supercruise or hyperspace. Due to the fact you'd have to get back to your seat to pilot the ship.

I think 1 and/or 2 are the most likely way they'll implement the transition from ship to legs. And that we're hoping for 3 and/or 4.

Let's hope they'll give some more information soon!
This has been posted about with references a lot. Check out the ED wiki. FDEV stated from the original release they were designing ships with full interiors in mind, based on 1 meter square grids. They have concept art and even a brief POC video showing characters moving around ships in zero-g and different parts of ships. They have talked about how advanced magnetic shoes will allow more normal walking in outposts and ships where there isn't spin/centripetal artificial gravity.

There are a lot of questions to answer about the implementation, like the getting up while ship is in flight question, if stealing ships will be possible (and piracy and smuggling gameplay expanded to accommodate that more robustly). But I think it would be foolish to bet on anything but 4 with seamless walking around. There's the cash shop options of upgrading ship interiors to be considered as well.

The fade to black screen for SRVs and fighters was needed because there was no walking around at the time. Once pilots can walk around there won't be a need for it, except for those that own Horizons but not Odyssey.

I just hope it isn't all boring after the first go-round and mandatory to walk 20 minutes to do get and cash in missions.

This has been posted about with references a lot. Check out the ED wiki. FDEV stated from the original release they were designing ships with full interiors in mind, based on 1 meter square grids. They have concept art and even a brief POC video showing characters moving around ships in zero-g and different parts of ships. They have talked about how advanced magnetic shoes will allow more normal walking in outposts and ships where there isn't spin/centripetal artificial gravity.

There are a lot of questions to answer about the implementation, like the getting up while ship is in flight question, if stealing ships will be possible (and piracy and smuggling gameplay expanded to accommodate that more robustly). But I think it would be foolish to bet on anything but 4 with seamless walking around. There's the cash shop options of upgrading ship interiors to be considered as well.

The fade to black screen for SRVs and fighters was needed because there was no walking around at the time. Once pilots can walk around there won't be a need for it, except for those that own Horizons but not Odyssey.

I just hope it isn't all boring after the first go-round and mandatory to walk 20 minutes to do get and cash in missions.
It would only be the SRV as the SLF use telepresence. So a fade to black kinda makes sense for the SLF.

There's only one code base to maintain right now. Horizons is not a separate client. The Horizons DLC is just a DRM license token, it doesn't install any new content. There's no reason to assume that Odyssey will be any different.

If they discontinue Horizons, it'll just mean that its paywalled features get unlocked by default. The effect on the code base would be close to zero.

Yes, but not quite. IIRC the non-Horizons version of the game uses its own methods to generate planet surfaces for instance.

Yes, but not quite. IIRC the non-Horizons version of the game uses its own methods to generate planet surfaces for instance.
I guess they're keeping the old render branch in the client to keep system requirements unchanged for people who bought the game pre-Horizons. But again, there's only one client, so they could upgrade the renderer at any time without dropping Horizons as a DLC.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom