Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Mission Q&A - Recap

I really do hope there is a sniper role. Almost all rpg fps I play, fallout as an example but also FPS games like COD, I typically play as a stealthy harrassing sniper that keeps my distance, with a silenced pistol for cqc. I really hope I have the ability to do this, I'm not a gun blazing in your face kind of guy.

Those cliffs in the playthrough are my perfect environment.

I think that will appear in the Big Game Hunt DLC!

Q. What permanent states can the new Settlement outposts have, like conquered or destroyed etc.
The states are as follows: Active, abandoned, war, damaged, Online, Online Damaged, Offline, Offline Damaged and Conflict Zone

Q: If I eliminate everyone in a Settlement, do they respawn or will it remain empty?
Settlements won't stay empty forever. They will repopulate over time.
That doesnt answer my question.
I know they will have different states, but will that state change with a single core-steal, or will it by like the current bgs where there is a 'tick' to change the state, so a single core-steal could be out-done by someone doing 2 of [positive mission] for the base?

The reveal was amazing if obviously patched together. I only have one question and that's when are we gonna see anything not related to FPS pew pew, as an explorer who spends most of my time outside the bubble are we ever gonna see anything around exploration or scavenger missions

Yes, this concerns me greatly;

Q: Finally, how important is the upcoming alpha?
From my perspective, I'm interested in player feedback on the economy - how much is a bounty worth for example. When players start playing it, they'll quickly establish where we need to tweak things. There's also things like weapon balance that we'll be looking at, and we'll have time to take that on board and react.

The only thing they want from the Alpha is players testing the FPS? Because that's not what I am testing, I am there to test out the new planetary tech, new bio structures and analysis, other stuff they have just barely hinted at, are they only introducing the FPS stuff in the Alpha, because that seems incredibly short sighted considering the majority of players don't actually do PvP and may not be interested in planet based FPS.

Perhaps they do understand their game, very well, and their statement accurately reflects the state of the game for the majority?
Perhaps this is a poor testimony that you, as well, do not understand the game properly.
While it's true that for most of the casual players, game balance simply doesn't matter that much. If the only goal is to space truck and chill, there isn't really much to balance in the first place.
However, looking at the numerous complains throughout the years regarding combat and economy balance (especially credit sources) we can very easily identify that there is a lot to be balanced in this game.

Perhaps this is a poor testimony that you, as well, do not understand the game properly.
I expected no less...
Nobody understands the game better than a niche set of players - not even the developers? I thought I was arrogant, but it does pale in comparison to such as that...

As for understanding "the game properly" - it is a game, it is designed to appeal to an 'average' player - what am I failing to "understand" in playing a game, that there are a minority who feel disenfranchised because "Joe Average" is the target demographic?

While it's true that for most of the casual players, game balance simply doesn't matter that much. If the only goal is to space truck and chill, there isn't really much to balance in the first place.
However, looking at the numerous complains throughout the years regarding combat and economy balance (especially credit sources) we can very easily identify that there is a lot to be balanced in this game.
Indeed, for the average players balance doesn't matter that much... Why should it?

Aren't those 'numerous complaints over the years' all from a niche group, developing levels of skill in the games mechanics that far exceed those of the remainder, and complaining that the game lacks challenge, doesn't do exactly what they wish and permits only a single META?

It isn't as if the majority of forum members are united in supporting the idea that the developers are inept in their game design, just a few.

I want to be taking part in some of these missions as they sound really quite interesting, but I am not killing anything more on my main character. And I hope I am not frozen out of doing the missions just because I don't want my combat rank increased. A cudgel or blackjack would do me :D
The question is since we all rely on our suits O2 supply outside buildings, how does on render someone unconscious without damaging suit integrity?

An electrical pulse carries the risk of damaging O2 supply/recycling as well as heat protection. Physical damage to the suit being a similar issue with seals.

And, as has been mentioned..... if you sneakily kill somebody, with no witnesses, wouldn't it be better - and make more sense - if you didn't immediately have the crime registered against you? I mean if nobody knows about it, right........
Unless the suit is vaporised it might have an automatic "loss of life" signal back to command?

I expected no less...
Nobody understands the game better than a niche set of players - not even the developers? I thought I was arrogant, but it does pale in comparison to such as that...

As for understanding "the game properly" - it is a game, it is designed to appeal to an 'average' player - what am I failing to "understand" in playing a game, that there are a minority who feel disenfranchised because "Joe Average" is the target demographic?

Indeed, for the average players balance doesn't matter that much... Why should it?

Aren't those 'numerous complaints over the years' all from a niche group, developing levels of skill in the games mechanics that far exceed those of the remainder, and complaining that the game lacks challenge, doesn't do exactly what they wish and permits only a single META?

It isn't as if the majority of forum members are united in supporting the idea that the developers are inept in their game design, just a few.
I put it this way.
You shouldn't let a firework engineer develope a space rocket that should carry humans to mars and likewise you shouldn't let casuals (or "The average Joe" as you name it) have much influence on meta play and game balance.
But, alas, the problem is not that there are unexperienced individuals influencing somewhat complex topics. No, the problem is that even if there would be a good (or bad) proposal, there wouldn't be anything happening because Frontier just does that: nothing.

You shouldn't let a firework engineer develope a space rocket that should carry humans to mars and likewise you shouldn't let casuals (or "The average Joe" as you name it) have much influence on meta play and game balance.

That’s a bit harsh isn’t it? As a semi-professional casual gamer and firework enthusiast I’d be a little disheartened if my opinion, a drop in an opinionated ocean it may be, was considered irrelevant. I’m not against balance tweaks but look at it this way, Elite is already a fairly tricky-to-get-into and niche game, and you want the development to be dictated by a tiny niche within that niche?

I put it this way.
But, alas, the problem is not that there are unexperienced individuals influencing somewhat complex topics. No, the problem is that even if there would be a good (or bad) proposal, there wouldn't be anything happening because Frontier just does that: nothing.
Wait and see what 'minor tweaks' are delivered once Odyssey launches... They are almost certain to not address the majority of your criticisms - as 'Average Joe' is the principal customer and need to be retained - but there may be a tiny scrap of meat on the bone for the "elite few".

I sincerely hope that Frotier continue to do nothing to accomodate the top 0.01% of player skill in a way that would directly affect the remaining 99.99% negatively - but also that a way could be found to enable these "elite" players to enjoy their game equally as much as the others: but, as you said, they wont...

Sadly, the majority, in a piece of entertainment software in particular, are the ones paying the developers salaries - alienating the "casuals" to pamper to the "elite" would very likely be financial suicide for that title.

That’s a bit harsh isn’t it? As a semi-professional casual gamer and firework enthusiast I’d be a little disheartened if my opinion, a drop in an opinionated ocean it may be, was considered irrelevant. I’m not against balance tweaks but look at it this way, Elite is already a fairly tricky-to-get-into and niche game, and you want the development to be dictated by a tiny niche within that niche?
I read a lot of the debates on the forum, the benefit of both having the time and interest to do so.

In the past year or so I only recall posts from two members that insisted they understood the game better than the developers - both 'niche' players, incidentally. ( If I missed any others I'm sure they will remind me!)

It would be 'frustrating' to be so far above the 'average' that game mechanics appear to be a hindrance to play, undeniably so, but accommodating everyone in a game designed to appeal to 'average ability' would require much more effort, and associated development cost, in creating that the cost of doing so may never be repaid.

I would argue that balance does matter significantly for casual players as well as the more 'hardcore', because casual players are the ones who experience the lopsided systems most harshly by having their 900hp Anaconda blapped by someone in a 36,000hp Anaconda (or equivalent). The thing is the blapped blame primarily the blapper, rather than the design that allowed this frankly ridiculous encounter to even occur.

Sure, it does sound extremely condescending to say 'many players don't understand how the game works', but it is also true - and not unusual in game design. You don't become an expert in something just by buying it, and most game designers understand that and try to balance their games regardless. There's a certain fatalism behind a lot of the responses about this stuff, like balance being 'good enough' and 'it's not like it matters to me so whatever'. Surely we all want Elite to be the best it can be; good balance between systems helps everyone, regardless of how acutely they're aware of it.

In other words, "I'm in a position to ignore the flaws in a system" is a pretty weak defence of that system.

Back
Top Bottom