ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

Your feedback during the alpha period has been invaluable and made this release date possible. We'll continue collecting your feedback throughout the upcoming alpha phase 4 and beyond launch as we work on further improvements and content updates.

I wonder what is going to change based on feedback? I hope they reconsider how the scanner works.

With the delivery date being much closer than anticipated, perhaps we have been playing a much older version of the game for bug-busting and net-code testing?
I'll laugh my socks off if the released version is all of the fun in alpha and the performance of Horizons... There would surely be some 🧂 to harvest from a few names...

I really expected a Beta period to track and fix the most egregious bugs. Guess we'll get to experience the "release is the new beta" mindset that most developers have adopted in Odyssey as well.

I hope the optimization team gets a chance to do their work though, as the current performance is not up to snuff.

Good question. It sure looks like it as only requirement on Odyssey in Frontier Store is Elite Dangerous. The specs for the base game may or may not have been increased, not sure?

Stoked for that release date though. Oooooo ... and o7
My concern is that low spec PC owners are now really in the console cohort (which is a much later release)- happy to be corrected though.

Will the console development, planned later down the line, be completely separate from the optimisation of PCs, or will it be in tandem?

Going off the principal that if it can run on PS4 it ought to run on all PCs... or are FD pushing for higher specs, just as a PC and PS4 owner, not sure if really want to buy a new graphics card at current prices...just to play content which will over tax my rig or remain bugged indefinitely.

Last edited:
Everyone seems very excited about this news. I'm just, not...

1619099275581.png

This is nowhere near enough time to fix all the bugs and issues currently in the game. Worse, I fear that issues such as luckluster performance (fps) as well as detrimental changes to the UI and lighting will be backported into Horizons, so "just don't buy it" isn't the answer. Speaking of,

There's still time to pre-order Odyssey and get your hands on the exclusive Pioneer suit skin

I'm sorry, but I've decided that I will not be pre-ordering this DLC. Don't get me wrong, I'm very interested in much of what it has to offer, but I just don't believe this game will be something I will enjoy playing on release day. I will let other people play and test it (just like I have the alpha) and determine if the final product is worth paying full price for. If the major bugs and design flaws are magically fixed the very short time you've given yourself, then I'll likely pick it up a week or so after release. If the bugs and flaws remain, then I'm sorry, but I'm not interested. And if these things end up negatively impacting my copy of Horizons, well let's just say it's not the first time I have put ED on the shelf.

I extend my heartfelt empathy to the coders who are going to suffer from the "crunch" between now and release day. I don't blame them, if anything I advocate for them, because this industry has a way of burning out coders with ridiculous release schedules. I'm sure this release date is all about fiscal years and finances and stockholders and "money, money, money" over quality. I know, I'm being a real Debbie Downer, but I've seen this happen time and again (and lived through it myself), and it just makes me sad. So to the developers and coders and 3D designers, I appreciate you and wish you the best. From what I've seen, you've got a hard and busy month ahead of you.

This is great news Frontier. I just hope it's not a hasty decision. I hope it is not a purely commercial decision. And that we have an expansion with very few bugs. Even so, it is pleasant news that has taken me completely by surprise.

A little surprised the release date has been announced before Phase 4, given we don't know what that could throw up.

Still, really looking forward to it. Loving Odyssey so far, doesn't look like there'll be much of a foot-less gap between Phase 4 and Release.

Top Bottom