Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Interface and NPCs

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
To be honest seeing something as meager as a "first footfall tag" being named as "one of 2 big ones" for explorers doesn't really paint a bright picture of what Odyssey brings to exploration... Let's hope the second "big one", the plant POIs, are at least much more abundant and varied than the handful of Bio POIs we currently have.
Indeed. I am hoping for something a bit more substantial. Explorers want a lot more than being able to put a tag on a planet that only shows up in the System Map that really doesn't mean anything in terms of gameplay.

😂

Not only that, there was also a player guild of that name. Of which i was a member. Does it mean i now am the police in ED? :D ;)

Thanks for the answers, i think AI will be good and helpful ,also players should be able to purchase recharging bateries so they can have also like AI or get mod from engineers. Keep the good work Frontier and Devs.

I was more getting at how will a commander do his day to day stuff.

In ships and SRVs, everyone is used to top-left panel for Comms, left panel for navigation, right panel for ship , down panel for SRV/Fighter. How will this be translated to a commander in a suit?
How will a commander dismiss / recall a ship?
How will the on-foot interface handle multi-crew? Will players now need to be physically in the same location as the hosting commander and need to board the ship to pertake in multi-crew?
Will there be a squad channel as well as a squadron channel for when people want to 'wing' together but now on foot?
How will a commander choose what they hold in their hand (pistol, rifle, sampling tool, other?)
Will a commander be able to access the codex whilst not in a ship / SRV?
How will a commander interaction with an NPC work? Is it a speech deicsion tree? or a quick 'what do you want?' question with the commander then dropping to the console in front of the NPC to see the associated page?
Will the bulletin boards work in a similar way except without the NPC front-end?
Will different Bulletin Boards / NPCs provide different missions at a station or will they all tap from a single source-set?

There are a lot of interface and / or NPC questions that could have been answered that werent combat related.
The more you think about it, the more questions can be asked that haven't been answered yet.

Not only that, there was also a player guild of that name. Of which i was a member. Does it mean i now am the police in ED? :D ;)

judge-dredd-white-dwarf-cover-board-game.jpg

Indeed. I am hoping for something a bit more substantial. Explorers want a lot more than being able to put a tag on a planet that only shows up in the System Map that really doesn't mean anything in terms of gameplay.

I've also been wondering about this. There's a huge amount of info on combat so far.

I'm very interested on how many aspect there are to exploration, such as what gameplay systems are in place to help players locate resources and / or plants.

Same for salvaging / scavenging. Will there be special gameplay loops that help players locate ship wrecks?

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I've also been wondering about this. There's a huge amount of info on combat so far.

I'm very interested on how many aspect there are to exploration, such as what gameplay systems are in place to help players locate resources and / or plants.

Same for salvaging / scavenging. Will there be special gameplay loops that help players locate ship wrecks?
I think that what I want to happen and what will happen are two very different things indeed. I think that can be evidenced by the fact we were told that there would be non combat interactions with the Thargoids before 2.4 was release, and comparing that to what we got.

What I'd like is even to just take a tiny amount of the things that the Exploration forum have been brainstorming for the last 6 years. Any kind of involved mechanics at all.

What I think we're going to get in terms of resources/plants is probably a Wave Scanner built into the Exploration suit and then something that works in exactly the same way as the composition scanner at the moment, and then a voucher in the transactions tab.

can we "loot" npc's when we killed them? (or potentially steal from them through the sneak mechanic) do they drop weapons, ammo or other equipment that the player can use or sell?

Why is everyone so interested in combat?
Is this game turning into a Destiny clone?

I can understand a Q&A on combat (if people want it) but this was meant to be on Interfaces & NPCs and the questions keep coming back to shooting people.
Is this all that Odyssey is going to provide?

Can we have some insight on things like:
  • What will the user interface look like? What inspirations have you used? What sort of 'on-foot' user experience are you trying achieve? (will it be a floating UX inside the helmet? or will it be something that is read from a forearm screen?) Will you be supporting short-cut keys or deliberately maintainng look & click to provide a degree of realisism to the experience?
  • How will the NPCs change depending on whether they are friendly or hostile towards you? Will Powerplay have any influence on whether they do / do not talk to you? Will ranking have any influence on the conversation trees?

"Welcome to the Odyssey Exploration stream, thanks for joining us. The first question is from Commander BigHammer, who asks can you use the flora scanner to........kill someone? Erm.........maybe? We've have to ask the devs that one."

Top Bottom