Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Interface and NPCs

Q. Will you consider adding Superpower navy armours for ground combat (i.e. NPCs wearing imperial/federal uniforms/armour, or such armour being available to players)? It could prove to be a very potent world-building tool.
We are always looking at what customisation option players would like to see in game.
Yessss. This- not only armor, but more clothing for superpowers is a must-have imo. I've been wanting Empire-themed clothing for a long time anyway. please, frontier!

Can NPCs get into NPC vehicles or ships for combat or are those treated separately?
On-foot NPCs do not get into vehicles. They can deploy from dropships.

Forgive me if this has been covered before (I don't frequent these board much) - can we get missions to hot drop AI troops to an area?

As not to be Mr Poopy Pants, should this sort of thing be decided by players via testing and / discussions with players now?

this!!!
is!!!
frontieeeeeeeeeeer!!!!!!!!!!!

ClosedGreenAphid-max-1mb.gif

Question: Will Fleet carriers still be relevant in odyssey or will they all be decommissioned. Paul, I really like fleet carriers and hope to still have use of mine. I think it will help cab players around in Odyssey using a cruise ship along with the carriers!

Thanks for the Q & A. Even though you've said the HUD won't be customisable, I would suggest that the HUD be scalable in some way for those playing on high resolution displays such as 4k+ or for those who are visually impaired.

Open Only Powerplay when

It's not as easy to do as you think. The Block Player function has to be reworked along with instancing and/or traffic control to prevent pad blocking.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

• What will the user interface look like? What inspirations have you used? What sort of 'on-foot' user experience are you trying achieve? (will it be a floating UX inside the helmet? or will it be something that is read from a forearm screen?) Will you be supporting short-cut keys or deliberately maintainng look & click to provide a degree of realisism to the experience?
Have a look here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/elite-dangerous-odyssey-hud-breakdown.560739/

Q. Will you consider adding Superpower navy armours for ground combat (i.e. NPCs wearing imperial/federal uniforms/armour, or such armour being available to players)? It could prove to be a very potent world-building tool.
We are always looking at what customisation option players would like to see in game.

That wasn't the question lol. He was asking if the NPCs would have outfits themed to the superpower they are aligned with. Not if we'd have more silly little cosmetic things to buy.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Why is everyone so interested in combat?
Because that's what Frontier is giving us.

Is this all that Odyssey is going to provide?
Apparently not, according to the team.

Peaceful protest
While combat is a new feature in Elite, there are still ways to enjoy the on-foot stuff without firing a single laser. "There are two big ones for our explorers out there, who are of course a big part of the community. For instance, we now give players a chance to earn a first footfall accolade. If you go off into the black and land somewhere, and you are the first player to set foot on that planet, that will be announced to you right there and then, and will be marked up against your name for other visitors."

You'll also be able to use a new tool to scan any life you encounter on the new planets. "We're giving players the opportunity to track down and scan organic lifeforms," says Jackson. "You can retrieve sampling information and bring that back into the human bubble and trade it."

So we get one thing to do, and a tag on planets... Disappointing, but not surprising unfortunately.

Friday is becoming a much more interesting day of the week for elite stuff :love:

Elite isn't combat only, it feels such a disclaimer is needed any time Odyssey details remotely touch anything combat-related so folks don't get the wrong idea.

A lot of interesting bits again, and especially helpful ones touching the AI - I could've seen myself spending countless hours stalking NPCs to see if they run out of energy :rolleyes:

Top Bottom