Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Q&A - Weapons

If you can damage a ship with a hand-weapon, I demand they add openable hatches on ships so my multi-crew can do drive-bys.
They probably have, unfortunately until they add an interior there is no way to reach the hatch to shoot out of it.

Q: Will players be able to upgrade their weapons with attachments?
You can choose from several attachments for your weapons. However, a modified weapon cannot be reverted, so think carefully. You can own multiple copies of a weapon for different situations, but can only carry a limited number of them at a time, depending on your suit type.

This can be another hard time sink, I think. We'll see on the Beta.

It would be possible as some Elite forum colleagues, to undo and retrieve the materials (at least part of them) used on the weapon improvement? It would be also really usefull with Ships Engineers, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I would not refuse some kind of space dagger, maybe that would drive away some pesky living creatures.
By the way, it would be nice to have the opportunity to bungle something suitable for these purposes from improvised means. I understand, it's not not a survival simulator, but on distant planets, where no human has earlier stepped (and perhaps never don't come again), it would not be bad to have such content. Even though fighting on foot in ED:Odyssey is not high in my priority list.

gameplay-reveal-screen-1-jpg.210321
Just wanted to say that this image looks... really good. Texture/materials fidelity is through the roof. Gives me great hope that you guys will nail it presentation wise.

I imagine they will be modelled on settlements. Remember mission don't need to be combat related. You can get missions at a settlement I believe, you get can get missions from stations to settlements. I'm sure some will be combat related, while others could be stealth, diplomacy, salvage or even commerce.

No, I don't expect them to be like FPS arenas.

They have already said salvaging and scavenging is in, as well as stuff for explorers.

There are so many games that offer space ships and shooting. So what.

They have already said they are transposing what we can do in our ships with all the options available to us down on to the ground as much as they can, mining being one area which won't be.

We know that's there is far more to it then just shooting, they've said it often enough, and we've seen glimpses of the bio scanner and we've seen glimpses of some of the tools that are available too.

Well, given that all we've seen is some unreal tournament like maps, i hope your dreams come true max. I would say our, but we've only seen combat.

PS. Hey you stop stop by dd and remind everyone of what we're getting because at the moment the forums just think its a dodgy fps.

gameplay-reveal-screen-1-jpg.210321
Just wanted to say that this image looks... really good. Texture/materials fidelity is through the roof. Gives me great hope that you guys will nail it presentation wise.

Don’t get your hopes up. Marketing screenshots often use texture resolutions much higher than the ones that end up being used in the final product. Especially when it still has to run on previous generation consoles.

Well, given that all we've seen is some unreal tournament like maps, i hope your dreams come true max. I would say our, but we've only seen combat.
We haven't seen any maps as of yet, so I have no idea where you're getting that from.

PS. Hey you stop stop by dd and remind everyone of what we're getting because at the moment the forums just think its a dodgy fps.
Really. Only a few people seem to think that.

Q: Will players be able to upgrade their weapons with attachments?
You can choose from several attachments for your weapons. However, a modified weapon cannot be reverted, so think carefully. You can own multiple copies of a weapon for different situations
weapon engineering? Wonderful, super cool, A OK. attachments being engineered? weird but I'll take it. however having to own multiple of the same weapon just to do something slightly different instead of walking back to my ship/SRV to swap the attachments out is asinine. I hope this is not the case by the time it releases. imagine having to have two of the same ship with nearly identical builds, just one has slightly different modules on it. Not because you have the funds or want to, but because you have to.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone has asked this yet but, will grenades have sights to look down? 😂
You pull the pin then hold it up to your better eye, look through it to aim then once you have lined up the target release the spoon and wait for the grenade to lock the target and then throw. As long as you got the direction right the grenade will leave your hand before the detonation timer runs out.

I expect that the effect of handheld weapons on ships will not exceed the effect the SRV turret has, in other words, it's going to be insignificant, unless you're firing at a stock Sidewinder.

We'll see how it goes in the alpha. :)

I would not refuse some kind of space dagger, maybe that would drive away some pesky living creatures.
By the way, it would be nice to have the opportunity to bungle something suitable for these purposes from improvised means. I understand, it's not not a survival simulator, but on distant planets, where no human has earlier stepped (and perhaps never don't come again), it would not be bad to have such content. Even though fighting on foot in ED:Odyssey is not high in my priority list.
Bump into another player on a planet 20,000Ly from anywhere... start throwing rocks at each other (y)😆

Top Bottom