Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 4

If there is an acceptance that we still have serious unresolved issues following the rollout of update 5, there needs to be an earnest review of the current timelines, and consideration for pushing back console release to allow Odyssey to get closer to release quality via additional updates.
Odyssey will not be on consoles! Because no one will make a new engine taking into account all modern requirements for games. :(

Many mistakes in one settlement (the location is indicated in the video)

Last edited:

Deleted member 38366

D
Some more annoyances worth mentioning :

- Opening Carrier Management UI while Ship is traveling at Speed will slow the Ship to Idle (Manual Throttle or SCA Engaged); that was fixed in Horizons and should not stop the Ship

- FSS Mode, display of Error Messages (i.e. Adaptive Zoom Failed) still persistent after correctly zooming in : please (for the love of god) make it that upon the moment of correctly and fully zooming in onto a Body (resolving it), any such error Message(s) are erased instantly and instead displaying the Body Details immediately [long-standing request for Horizons already, now's the chance to clean it]

ELITE-EDO-OldIssue1.jpg

- FSS Mode, delayed display of Body Details when swiftly moving from one Body to the next : again, please make the Body Details/Table on the right display instantly instead of waiting for the center HUD Message 'Discovered XYZ" to display and disappear until the right Table is populated. There's no reason for this delay and it merely forces Players to zoom out/zoom in again to force it to display in a more timely manner (all those wasted Seconds otherwise really add up for experienced power-users).

ELITE-EDO-OldIssue2.jpg

Patch 5 is really delayed by a week? And where is any written communication? If FD think all player watching sermi-grown up clowns in their streams i have to disappoint them... WRITE down any information on FB,Twitter, EDForum, and any other platform you can. Community managers seems forget about how to communicate. Im a big fan of ED, but screwing things like this is a real shame :( Mr Braben! Watch out a bit.. things are going bad way...

Patch 5 is really delayed by a week? And where is any written communication? If FD think all player watching sermi-grown up clowns in their streams i have to disappoint them... WRITE down any information on FB,Twitter, EDForum, and any other platform you can. Community managers seems forget about how to communicate. Im a big fan of ED, but screwing things like this is a real shame :( Mr Braben! Watch out a bit.. things are going bad way...
It's been said before - many times and particularly about these forums. When @sallymorganmoore does her bit next week, it would be worth mentioning again. I know I will.

Last edited:
I'm actually wondering if she'll even show her face on the last patch until console day (early 2022 probably).
She's brave and enthusiastic, but that's gonna take some special kind of bravery to actually answer the hordes of complaints, questions and suggestions that will hit next thursday...

Maybe some of the others are helping out in the background too. Zac's been posting on the forum quite a bit and I've seen several other Frontier staff on the forum (more than usual).

1624526351536.png

Reading the thread, seems to be a mix of outrage between 'oh no patch is delayed' and 'oh no not enough fixes how can i live with this while they work on console release, etc'. Seems like FDev are taking a middle ground here and trying to get at least enough fixes in to see most people through until the next patching round.

The only real issue I have so far, is the state that Odyssey was originally released in, and FDev are not alone in releasing games early and patching them post-launch. It (sadly) seems to be standard industry practice these days. Yeah, yeah, money, sales, financial year, I'm sure they all factored into Fdev thinking on when it was released. But as someone working in software dev, I can tell you there must be a huge number of analysts, developers, QA, etc working behind the scene to get the amount of fixes we've been getting on a weekly release cycle since launch.

From an efficiency point of view, getting the console users onto the same platform as PC users makes a lot of sense (halves the maintenance overhead) so should free up even more bodies to work on patching over-all.

The while game was delayed by one year and the console version with unknown time and might even never happen. So what is one week delay?

Would you prefer a patch that borks the entire game?

I thought not. You know at all because it somehow got communicated by Frontier unto someone, so what do you have to complain about this late in the game?

If I were working Community on this game, I'd avoid this forum like the plague. ESPECIALLY this thread.

Not that criticism is a Bad Thing ( I rather appreciate it most of the time), but the levels of vitriol around here would rout even the most hardened Meme Warrior.

If they need another week to sort out the problems with the patch, I say let them have it. Complain when the patch is over two years behind schedule (Lookin' at YOU, CP2077).

If, as a community manager or a dev, your game's forum community hates you then it's highly likely you're doing something wrong and probably earned that hate somehow. That hate, however, does not provide an excuse to not post an update delay notification on the forum where people are going to look for patch notes.

Deleted member 38366

D
Another old Detail I remembered that is still non-functional in Odyssey :

- new discovered and sold- to UC Systems containing Guardian or Thargoid locations are not automatically marked as "Guardian" or "Thargoid" in the Galaxy Map Civilization Filter

No later than i.e. the weekly Thursday Maintenance, all freshly discovered Guardian/Thargoid Systems should automatically be processed to display appropriately in the Galaxy Map Civilization Filter.

Already, there's more incorrectly marked as "none" Systems qualifying to display as Guardian or Thargoid than actual such marked Systems.
IMHO this should change and be a fully automatic process based purely on Players discoveries, it's about time.

Top Bottom