Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

Yes I am on Steam and cant load the new update. Steam doesnt show no new updates for Elite and the Elite Launcher makes 0 progress in loading the update.
Im on steam and just finished the update. Make sure you completely leave steam and re-log in to steam to get update trigger

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6 [ODYSSEY ONLY]

Planets
  • Detail in planetary textures in the distance have been improved.
  • A fix has been implemented for when planetary fine textures sometimes wouldn't load in correctly.
  • Multiple improvements, re-balances and increased variety for colouration of all planet types have been implemented.
  • Made the organics heat map still visible while in glide after dropping out of supercruise. It will then fade out when the glide completes.
  • New Ultra+ terrain quality setting added - recommended for top-end GPUs.
  • Alignment of terrain type and details to planet geometry have been improved.
  • Fixes for hard edges and colour changes have been implemented, as seen in ground textures.
  • A fix has been implemented for fine textures occasionally appearing to "flash" in some locations.
  • A fix has been implemented for textures sometimes appearing black.
  • Improvements to planet ambient occlusion have been made.
  • Colours of planets in the system map now more accurately reflect the colouration of the planets within the system.
  • A fix has been implemented for planet colours becoming desaturated on approach.
  • Planet LODs have been re-balanced and improved.
  • Visual improvements have been made to the glow on icy planet terrain.
  • Icy materials now have a greater shine.
  • Rocky materials have been improved to look more rough.

Lot of goodies there !

Really love the fact that the colours in system map are now more accurately reflecting the colouration of the planets within the system because a lot of time I was heading to planet that were looking awesome in the system map to finally discover that they weren't as nice as they should have been.

Does this apply to planet view in the DSS too ?

Great patch and thank you FDEV for the hard work.

That said, the first issue, tried to board my ship. Black screen with the sound of footsteps. Had to kill with the task manager.

It may be the servers need time. I Will see if not update tickets accordingly.
I had that last patch.. footsteps for about 10 mins. It either crahes or spits you out. Just server connection things. 1st few hours after patch it all gets quite screwy as loads change

snakes-whyd-it-have-to-be-snakes.jpg

After having fun using ship weapons I wouldn't dare use otherwise because they run out of ammo even before a single CZ is completed, I'd like to really suggest the ability to carry extra ammo in our ship cargo hold.

Besides that, great patch! The unintentional station menu launch russian roulette being fixed is a nice surprise.

First performance impression: FSR set to 'quality' gets me pretty much locked 60FPS at 4k in the concourse. Twiddling with the settings still tanks performance (even when you reset it afterwards), so to everyone playing around: make sure to relog from menu after changing stuff to test performance. Setting it from performance to quality halved my FPS until I relogged.
Still downloading, but i have a question: how FSR settings work with supersampling settings? Are they mutually exclusive?
I'm asking because as far as i know FSR does already render with a lower resolution, so i'm not sure how those options works together since Sally mentioned lowering supersampling too

Still downloading, but i have a question: how FSR settings work with supersampling settings? Are they mutually exclusive?
I'm asking because as far as i know FSR does already render to a lower resolution, so i'm not sure how those options works together since Sally mentioned supersampling too
Yes. You pick between either FSR (which then gives quality setting) or 'supersampling' which gives the old options.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: LKx
Illegal interactions (Hacking, taking stolen/illegal items, pressing illegal consoles) now require a press and hold for 1 second to avoid accidental criminal activity.
... and to punish players who wait for an opportunity. How about you use the alternate interaction mode button, which AFAICR is only used for the illegal e-breach as is?

A fix has been implemented for where the bartender not allowing trades if your backpack is full. They will now take into account the items you are trading out of the backpack, assigning space.
Finally! Now, if you'd just consider fixing the boarding interface so the common action of choosing what to discard isn't so multiply punishing?

As it is, you first get a big ugly alert along with an inability to board. Then you can go into the transfer function, where you have to push tiny amounts back and forth, assuming you even had some free backpack space. Then you have to exit, and wait for the boarding timer again, or back all the way out to drop stuff from your backpack one at a time.

One simple possible tweak to this would be to add a third column for discarded items. A more convenient approach would be to designate item priorities, so less valuable items could be discarded as needed. Another variant would be to allow the counts to go over the limit and simply disable the confirmation button during that time, so we could transfer all then take out the excess.

What we get consistently seems to be the more obtrusive interface. Who's being protected by having that second timeout after I've chosen what to keep?

Fixed naming of Scientist to allow a certain Massacre mission to be completed as intended.
... and did you add an automated regression test so mission targets will be guaranteed to exist in future builds? Or so text templates with unavailable variables cause a build time warning? We've had quite enough of these. They should be taking machine time, not developer and user time.

Glass shader optimisations have been made, along with fixes and scalability based on quality settings.
Good! I understand this has been a sore point for some commanders.

This update has many changes (and an inexplicably large transfer size). Assuming about a 4x duplicate rate, and 80% of these changes fix some bug, the patches stop introducing large swathes of new bugs, and we have about 250 changes... we may get down to the inappropriately expired bug reports in (8000+400+400)/4/(250*0.80)*3 = 33 weeks or so? A very rough estimate, certainly.

Top Bottom