Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

So are there even any rumors of something new related to flying spaceships in the game? New ships? New modules? New gameplay? New places to explore, except for scanning biology on foot on planets?
No, why should there be? Dirt-side is the new content, but that doesn't mean the "old" content is dead, or even geriatric. Just more experienced.

No, why should there be? Dirt-side is the new content, but that doesn't mean the "old" content is dead, or even geriatric. Just more experienced.
Why? Because everything in a game becomes trivial with time, even flying the same spaceships, looking at the same galaxy.

If the Dirt-side still isn't fixed, and if people playing FPS are complaining about that not being good enough compared to other FPS games, then it does seem somewhat likely that new content that is not Dirt-side, at least is somewhere in the distant future. Personally I still don't get a kick from shooting scientists in the head, so that part of the game has no interest to me. Flying spaceships, on the other hand does. It's not my game, but I have wishes for it's future, so I'm just trying to figure out where it will go :alien:

So are there even any rumors of something new related to flying spaceships in the game? New ships? New modules? New gameplay? New places to explore, except for scanning biology on foot on planets?

I'm asking because I don't know.
Well, there is the Panther Clipper, stuck in development limbo for 6 years now, but with a few new files found in the Odyssey alpha. And there's a 4-wheeled combat SRV that seemingly has no thrusters, probably no cargo space, but a missile launcher and the plasma repeater, supposedly called Scorpion and far enough into development that it could somehow be spawned into the Odyssey Alpha, could move and shoot. When or if these things finally make it into the game is anyone's guess.

Why? Because everything in a game becomes trivial with time, even flying the same spaceships, looking at the same galaxy.

If the Dirt-side still isn't fixed, and if people playing FPS are complaining about that not being good enough compared to other FPS games, then it does seem somewhat likely that new content that is not Dirt-side, at least is somewhere in the distant future. Personally I still don't get a kick from shooting scientists in the head, so that part of the game has no interest to me. Flying spaceships, on the other hand does. It's not my game, but I have wishes for it's future, so I'm just trying to figure out where it will go :alien:
If you're tired of Horizons are have no interest in Odyssey, then perhaps you should take a break from Elite for a while.
However, those that have been playing Odyssey have been having a good time, be it combat zones, exploration, settlement massacres, or whatnot.
You will have to play it for yourself to know.

If you're tired of Horizons are have no interest in Odyssey, then perhaps you should take a break from Elite for a while.
However, those that have been playing Odyssey have been having a good time, be it combat zones, exploration, settlement massacres, or whatnot.
You will have to play it for yourself to know.
I have played EDO since release. I have played the game. It just didn't bring anything new for me, except lower frame rates and beautiful sunrises. I am taking a break. My question was along the lines of whether that break will be permanent.

Furthermore, I don't find it as simple as "all those players that have been a part of the community so far, can go do something else, because now there's new kids in town, and they like FPS". I could just as well argue that they could go play another game. That's not how it works. It's not my game. What Fdev decides is up to them. It does seem to have consequences for the number of players, but that is also beyond my control. I'm only trying to figure out, if keeping an interest in ED is worth it for me.

I don't find it as simple as "all those players that have been a part of the community so far, can go do something else, because now there's new kids in town, and they like FPS".
I never even implied this.

Also, Odyssey does not replace anything in Horizons. Odyssey complements Horizons.

If you don't like what Odyssey has to offer, well, that's your preference. That' you're taking a break from Elite because you're tired of Horizons and aren't interested in Odyssey, well, that's probably a good thing (for you). Should you choose to make your break permanent, well, suit yourself. Should you change your mind later, cool.

@sallymorganmoore got an Odyssey idea maybe you could raise. Now a number of players want their own mining platforms on planets, bases etc so I was thinking. How about allowing players and groups to build bases with Storage. Then have the opposition try and steal what's stored. So Bank of Sacra Oculus has 1000 tons gold in a vault in a settlement guarded by a local security team. Someone goes in, kills the team and makes off with the gold. However they are in 1 ton cargo canisters, so a SRV which carries 2 tons a time, has to ferry the gold to a ship on the landing pad. That's 500 trips. Plenty of time for security to respawn and reinforcements arrive. Would make a great heist and a great battle.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore got an Odyssey idea maybe you could raise. Now a number of players want their own mining platforms on planets, bases etc so I was thinking. How about allowing players and groups to build bases with Storage. Then have the opposition try and steal what's stored. So Bank of Sacra Oculus has 1000 tons gold in a vault in a settlement guarded by a local security team. Someone goes in, kills the team and makes off with the gold. However they are in 1 ton cargo canisters, so a SRV which carries 2 tons a time, has to ferry the gold to a ship on the landing pad. That's 500 trips. Plenty of time for security to respawn and reinforcements arrive. Would make a great heist and a great battle.

BIG idea. HUGE!
Love hearing them. We might be focusing on the old "fix the game" majorly first, but always happy to see these of course!

Also, Odyssey does not replace anything in Horizons. Odyssey complements Horizons.

If you don't like what Odyssey has to offer, well, that's your preference. That' you're taking a break from Elite because you're tired of Horizons and aren't interested in Odyssey, well, that's probably a good thing (for you). Should you choose to make your break permanent, well, suit yourself. Should you change your mind later, cool.

Odyssey does indeed replace something from Horizons and it’s a very significant thing. Odyssey replaces the amazing performance and lighting that you have in Horizons that allows me to play the game at great frame rates in gorgeous 4K. By comparison, EDO runs terrible, and the graphics settings I need to turn down to even get that terrible performance makes the game look much worse compared to Horizons.

Odyssey does indeed replace something from Horizons and it’s a very significant thing. Odyssey replaces the amazing performance and lighting that you have in Horizons that allows me to play the game at great frame rates in gorgeous 4K. By comparison, EDO runs terrible, and the graphics settings I need to turn down to even get that terrible performance makes the game look much worse compared to Horizons.
This is a truly dishonest thing to say, as those are issues that are being worked on, not intended changes.
So yes, Odyssey does have performance and lighting issues, but it does not replace anything because.

As I said: I'm trying to figure out, if keeping an interest in ED is worth it for me. Therefore I asked the question I asked. With all due respect, "if you don't like EDO, go somewhere else" isn't an answer to my question, being: Is there possibly anything spaceship related in the games future?

@sallymorganmoore

Feel free to chip in :) If you are worried about player numbers (I don't know if you are), and if you are looking for ideas, something like releasing a new ship (Panther, mini Mamba or whatever) would probably cause increased interest for those not interested in settlements and FPS. I do not know how many of those players are left, but those that left for a "break" might return if something new is added, and it doesn't have to be a new ship. An old road sign saying "Raxxxxla 27,353 ly" found on a planet would probably also cause a stir, and that would be dirt cheap.

As I said: I'm trying to figure out, if keeping an interest in ED is worth it for me. Therefore I asked the question I asked. With all due respect, "if you don't like EDO, go somewhere else" isn't an answer to my question, being: Is there possibly anything spaceship related in the games future?
That's not how I meant it, and I apologize for the confusion. It was in response to your "things become stale" comment (which I understand all too well having suffered the same thing with KSP, from which I am taking a break, thus the recommendation: the idea being that with a break it may not seem so stale). Ie, I got the impression you were finding Horizons to be getting stale, Odyssey offered nothing for you, so I suggested some rest and recuperation.

The thing is, Odyssey is all about on-foot content, thus my "why should it [offer anything new for spaceships]?". Ie, new ship content is out of scope. That's not to say that new ship content shouldn't be added to Horizons itself (or as a separate, compatible addon).

sallymorganmoore

@sallymorganmoore

Feel free to chip in :) If you are worried about player numbers (I don't know if you are), and if you are looking for ideas, something like releasing a new ship (Panther, mini Mamba or whatever) would probably cause increased interest for those not interested in settlements and FPS. I do not know how many of those players are left, but those that left for a "break" might return if something new is added, and it doesn't have to be a new ship. An old road sign saying "Raxxxxla 27,353 ly" found on a planet would probably also cause a stir, and that would be dirt cheap.

Right now the main thing I'm focused on is helping to get the game in perfect shape for people who want to play and then inevitably enjoy it.

I'm not going to beg people to keep playing or lose sleep over people leaving (or threatening to leave) because it's entirely up to them. If there's nothing in it for them now, then one day there might be as we keep smashing out the hard work to get things the best they can be.
I for one am going to muscle as hard as I darn well can. That's what means most to me. Not just number counts. If a game hits the spot for them, then people will play it.

If it's the current issues with the game that's forcing players away, then heck we will keep pushing on to work things out, with a view to announce improvements/future content as we do so and see if that's enough to welcome back any lapsed players. If it's not, it's not. We'll keep working hard for those it all appeals to.

We need to get the game wonderful enough to allow players who do want to play to...play it!
So, that being said:
  • I'm not going to casually disclose what's coming in the future just to give people a reason to "stick around" if they're not already enjoying themselves - it makes no sense whatsoever. Sounds like self sabotage to me! Never a good thing!
  • Also I'd lose my job, hehe.

BLAM. All those thoughts are my own, by the way. Not speaking for anyone else, just fancied some 'Friday Honesty'.

Right now the main thing I'm focused on it helping to get the game in perfect shape for people who want to play and then inevitably enjoy it.

I'm not going to beg people to keep playing or lose sleep over people leaving (or threatening to leave) because it's entirely up to them. If there's nothing in it for them now, then one day there might be as we keep smashing out the hard work to get things the best they can be.
I for one am going to muscle as hard as I darn well can. That's what means most to me. Not just number counts. If a game hits the spot for them, then people will play it.

If it's the current issues with the game that's forcing players away, then heck we will keep pushing on to work things out, with a view to announce improvements/future content as we do so and see if that's enough to welcome back any lapsed players. If it's not, it's not. We'll keep working hard for those it all appeals to.

We need to get the game wonderful enough to allow players who do want to play to...play it!
So, that being said:
  • I'm not going to casually disclose what's coming in the future just to give people a reason to "stick around" if they're not already enjoying themselves - it makes no sense whatsoever. Sounds like self sabotage to me! Never a good thing!
  • Also I'd lose my job, hehe.

BLAM. All those thoughts are my own, by the way. Not speaking for anyone else, just fancied some 'Friday Honesty'.
Thanks!

Well, you can tell "your people" that I did take a break, and I bought a lot of other games, just to realize that I'm not a gamer as such. I just love flying my spaceships in VR in ED, and even though it does get slightly trivial after more than 2000 hours, I still love the game, and everything in it. Have an excellent weekend once the friday is over. :)

sallymorganmoore

Thanks!

Well, you can tell "your people" that I did take a break, and I bought a lot of other games, just to realize that I'm not a gamer as such. I just love flying my spaceships in VR in ED, and even though it does get slightly trivial after more than 2000 hours, I still love the game, and everything in it. Have an excellent weekend once the friday is over. :)

I don't think I need to tell anyone, Commander! You can come and go as you please and it'll ALWAYS be lovely whenever you're around and I'll always be grateful that you ARE around - if you break, or not :) You have a wonderful weekend too, please! A bank holiday monday is ahead for us! Pretty excited :)
As always, thanks for chatting with me so openly.

Hello Sally,

I don't know if it's always such a good idea to broadcast all your thoughts to the world. You as CM do an unenviable job, but you do it really well. Nevertheless, it remains that this expansion was thrown onto the market far too early and unfinished. It's a shame for all the users who invest their free time and eventually switch off in frustration - it certainly doesn't do the game as a whole any favours at all, but I think the higher-ups must have had something in mind. I think it's good that they are trying to solve some of the problems.

Top Bottom