Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

I had to do 6 of each to gain access. It's needed to open the Guy with the Night Vision. so over it now.
I need that too ... but since I don't seem to be particularly good at the covert stuff I think I'll wait until they've fixed it.

Fortunately I found a Maverick with Night Vision in Cubeo a few weeks ago.

Why deleted "ULTRAFORCAPTURE" Terrain quality setting.
In the list say:
"New Ultra+ terrain quality setting added "
"Planet LODs have been re-balanced and improved"
but the quality of lod is inferior to "ultra for capture":
"ULTRAFORCAPTURE" UPDATE5 SCREENSHOT:

"ULTRAPLUS" UPDATE6

I don't think it is very difficult to add a new field in the "Terrain Quality" setting after "ULTRA +" "ULTRAFORCAPTURE" and copy all LOD TABLE parameters from the previous UPDATE5 of "ULTRAFORCAPTURE".

Sorry for my english i use a translator.

The compression oj jpeg minimize the resolution of texture in the screenshot "ultraforcapture" but the difference in the detail is huge look inside the craters and compare with ultraplus. All the small mountains are visible from a distance with ultraforcapture while on ultraplus everything is washed out and not very defined.
This is another ultraforcapture_update5 screenshot at 2k:
Save the image and open at full resolution look the texture and the crisp of mountains and craters at this distance with "ultraplus_update 6" is impossible to archive this details.

Last edited:
I'm 99% sure I've done 7 covert heist missions (and either 3 or 4 covert theft) without unlock now, but I can't be 100% sure because there's no way of tracking progress on it :(
Your log files (Use Inara it's easier) Tracks which missions have registered with the game, some don't, which is why this unlock doesn't work right.

Once 6 in total have registered it'll unlock. (After you relog)

I'm 99% sure I've done 7 covert heist missions (and either 3 or 4 covert theft) without unlock now, but I can't be 100% sure because there's no way of tracking progress on it :(
What Drelthar said. Inara is a great site to track your progress, but also has a lot of other useful features, market prices, outfitting costs, can track engineering progress, has your squadrons in there as well if you have joined one and if they are on Inara, just to name a few things it can help you with, but it does list your missions you have done recently which would be helpful in tracking your progress with Terra :)
https://inara.cz/

Maybe Covert Thefts actually reduce your counter? 🤷‍♂️😅

I never did one of those before the unlock because I've heard that they were broken. I did exactly 6 Covert Heists and got the unlock.

Plotting routes using FSD boost is still broken unless the boosting star is the primary. This is a horizons era bug though.
Is it really a bug, though? Even if non-primary stars are known by the game in never before visited systems, the non-primary neutron (or white dwarf) star may be too far from the primary to make the boost worthwhile. It takes a little over a minute to arrive at a primary neutron, supercharge the FSD, and move on, saving about 3 minutes from a non-boosted route. This means that the non-primary neutron must be within 3 minutes super-cruise time for the boost to break even. It's even worse for a white dwarf: 30s travel time.

tl;dr: non-primary FSD boost routing is not worth it unless there's no other way across the gap (ie, one would have to travel far enough to get around the gap). Yes, this can be handy at the edges of the galaxy where stars are already quite sparse, but that is, very literally, a special edge case.

The route plotter takes long enough as it is, do we really need it trying to decide if a non-primary FSD boost is worthwhile?
[edit] Worse, do we really want it making us do a 400kLs trip for a boost?

Last edited:
Is it really a bug, though? Even if non-primary stars are known by the game in never before visited systems, the non-primary neutron (or white dwarf) star may be too far from the primary to make the boost worthwhile. It takes a little over a minute to arrive at a primary neutron, supercharge the FSD, and move on, saving about 3 minutes from a non-boosted route. This means that the non-primary neutron must be within 3 minutes super-cruise time for the boost to break even. It's even worse for a white dwarf: 30s travel time.

tl;dr: non-primary FSD boost routing is not worth it unless there's no other way across the gap (ie, one would have to travel far enough to get around the gap). Yes, this can be handy at the edges of the galaxy where stars are already quite sparse, but that is, very literally, a special edge case.

The route plotter takes long enough as it is, do we really need it trying to decide if a non-primary FSD boost is worthwhile?
[edit] Worse, do we really want it making us do a 400kLs trip for a boost?
I think you made up an explanation without understanding what i meant, maybe i should have explained better too.

If you supercharge the FSD and then plot route using FSD boost, it cannot do it unless the primary star is a neutron or white dwarf. So you literally have to figure out by manual trial and error which is the furthest star you can jump to with the supercharged range.

Edit: And yes, it really is a bug.

Last edited:
I think you made up an explanation without understanding what i meant, maybe i should have explained better too.

If you supercharge the FSD and then plot route using FSD boost, it cannot do it unless the primary star is a neutron or white dwarf. So you literally have to figure out by manual trial and error which is the furthest star you can jump to with the supercharged range.

Edit: And yes, it really is a bug.
Ah, that. Gotcha.
However I disagree, you do not need to manually figure out anything: the game SHOWS you how far you can jump. However, you have to tell it to do so.
When you want to do an FSD injection jump, you would select "FSD Boost" in the route plotter, then set the slider to what grade of injection. The galaxy map then draws lines to all stars you can reach using your injection. Hmm, normally. Just checking it out now in-game, and it's not showing extremely long range stars. Possibly because there are just too many in the area (I have a max boosted range of 135.37ly (unboosted is 67.68 (currently fuel level)), but it's showing routes out to only about 58ly, and quite a lot of them).

It was certainly working well when I flew an unengineered Alliance Chieftain from the California sector to Shinrarta (max jump of about 10ly, but stars were very sparse in the area, generally about 19ly apart). Of course, that was all manual selection of the stars, but the game did show me which stars I could reach with an FSD boost.

Maybe Covert Thefts actually reduce your counter? 🤷‍♂️😅

I never did one of those before the unlock because I've heard that they were broken. I did exactly 6 Covert Heists and got the unlock.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:I hope not lol.

I was under the impression we had to do 6 of each, coz that was what i was told and what several squadron members did.

Sally confirmed a page or two ago that it's meant to be six in total of either type. Also that it's not actually working correctly.
Yeah i know, i asked her about it and supplied her a screenshot of the missions i had completed a few pages back. Thanks for makin sure i knew anyway :)

I haven't played ED for a while, so returning to the forum today one question pops into mind: Is EDO and the community turning into a planet based FPS, and is all the spaceship flying dead in the water?

Top Bottom