Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

So I've returned to the bubble and docked at Wyrd. First time I've been back for a few updates. Running:

i5-4590 and GTX960 with 12GB RAM. That's the (new post release) minimum spec or thereabouts.

FPS is definitely better just walking round in the station interiors. I can run at medium settings at 1080p with filter quality bumped up to x8 and get a steady 30fps. Not tried planetside yet, I suspect I'll get less there. There's definitely a larger spread of fps depending on what I now choose. Previously there wasn't that much difference between low and ultra. My gpu fan is noisy but the temperature seems fine. I'd buy a new card but not at those prices 💳😔

Have to say the new anti-aliasing is very nice and makes a big difference. Game looks miles better for it. Having not seen interiors for a while it was very noticeable. 👍

Like a few others I had stations popping in several seconds after arriving in a system.

Nice to see the space/planetside fps getting a little closer together.

I'll try a few missions later if I can stay awake 😴

Hi Sally, seems to be issues with missions not starting. I took a Massacre Scavenger Mission in Segais - Reyes Industrial. No Mission Update on arrival, No mission bar in top right of HUD, No Scavengers. I have tried to reset the instance (Supercruise) 3 times so far, Mission not happening

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
I am...so sweaty.

giphy.gif

in Station, with Graphic-Settings "Ultra" on Win10, 32GB RAM, i7-8750H CPU and GTX 1060 Max-Q, i have 40-50 FPS, thats great! With "normal" graphic-settings i have 60 FPS constantly. i think thats good improvement, thank you! o7

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Hi Sally, seems to be issues with missions not starting. I took a Massacre Scavenger Mission in Segais - Reyes Industrial. No Mission Update on arrival, No mission bar in top right of HUD, No Scavengers. I have tried to reset the instance (Supercruise) 3 times so far, Mission not happening
Thanks so, so much. Been trying to track more of these after an earlier report. This really helps. Noted!

Until then;

o7 all together

PS: @Bottom Hat
No, you can't - I'll be back.... 🤘

Some people..... okay, I'll tell my staff not to nick your stuphz whilst you're away ;)

o7, take care Commander. We'll keep doing what we can.

But Sally, that will lead to long term damage to my stuphz collection business. Please keep in mind all of your customers, or I'll arrange a twatting battle.... You have been warned young lady...

So unfortunately pretty huge bug. Was checking out a CZ for FPS, it was around 50 fps with less stuttering overall an improvement. Anyways, was fighting for about 20 minutes before I realized nothing had happened on the progress of the CZ. both scores were bugged where I started them at and I just had to leave lol

So unfortunately pretty huge bug. Was checking out a CZ for FPS, it was around 50 fps with less stuttering overall an improvement. Anyways, was fighting for about 20 minutes before I realized nothing had happened on the progress of the CZ. both scores were bugged where I started them at and I just had to leave lol
That does happen a lot on console also has done for quite a while, appears to be quite random as to its occurrence been reported a lot not yet solved never know if they find out why for you may fix it for us.........obviously when focus allows in the distant future. I'll run back over to the official console bit now don't want to offend any of my masters lol 😉.....🤣

I've done testing, here's my results. Note: Complete game exit and restart between tests.

SYSTEM
i7-9750H @ 2.60 GHz
16 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce 2070 RTX with 8 GB
1080p Display set to 60 Hz
Graphics settings Fullscreen, vsync ON, and Frame Limit set to 60
No additional monitors or programs running

TEST 1
1080p, ss 1.0, HIGH settings
CONCOURSE: 60 fps
SETTLEMENT: 40 fps, with consistent stutter down to 15 fps

Changes to super sampling, FAS or CAS made no difference to fps or stutter.

TEST 2
720 x 480, ss 0.50, all setting LOW
SETTLEMENT: 44 fps, with consistent stutter down to 15 fps

FAS or CAS made no difference to fps or stutter.

TEST 3
1080p, ss 1.25, ULTRA settings
SETTLEMENT: 38 fps, with consistent massive stuttering down to 5 fps and freezing

CAS had slightly less stuttering than FAS.

TEST 4
1080p, ss 1.25, ULTRA settings with Textures dropped to HIGH, Shadows dropped to LOW
SETTLEMENT: 40 fps, with consistent stutter down to 15 fps

FAS and CAS made no difference to fps or stutter.

Last edited:
Gonna crosspost this from the patchnotes thread so it's together with the rest of the patch feedback:
Anyone have really delayed loading of stations? carriers take a few seconds after dropping in before they're visible, Coriolis stations can take way longer. Just lost my Anaconda because the coriolis appeared around my ship and instantly destroyed it.
20211027190140_1.jpg20211027190208_1.jpg

Cho Agricultural Habitat in Ienpalang system is a FPS killer.
Ryzen 7 5800X, RX6800XT, 32 GB RAM (SAM enabled) and it’s still dropping to 30 FPS or even below at specific places of that settlement.
It’s a struggle to do go through these “pockets” of FPS eaters.

The same goes for one of the settlements belonging to Usdia Purple Raiders in Usdia system (unfortunately can’t remember it’s name right now).

Last edited:
Top Bottom