Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 8 / Horizons Update | 27 October discussion

U8 is by far the best update. Solved a lot of problems for me. No more FPS drops in settlements or anywhere after a few hours. Yesterday I had 15-20 fps at several settlements and IM's, now I'm steady at 60-70 at full ultra. AA is also much better looking now!!

Keep up the good work devs! And a big thank you to Sally for the great dedication and updates in this forum! Have really missed that.

I'm happy! :)

i9-10900
RTX3080

Significant stutter in settlements. (Max) Frames are a bit improved overall, but that's pointless with the increased stutter. Example: Bukenya Mineralogic Installation, Quambo B 4 - dips to single digit framerates.
Also, the Arc Cutter behaves weird, it doesn't seem to work correctly, fails to finish the cut. Only happened once but I did not have this problem for months, since one of the first updates...

Small improvements in settlements maybe an increase of 10/15 fps from 30fps single screen 1440p
Same kind of increase with triple screen of 10/15fps from 20fps at 7680x1440p
All normal scaler
i7/32gb/RTX3070

Single Screen 2560x1440p
LBd5bLDh.jpg

Triple Screen 7680x1440p
YjvzasIh.jpg

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Hiya @sallymorganmoore loving the update so far, however every time I run across a roof that has a Restricted area inside the building underneath it I trigger a warning that I have entered a restricted area. Happens at any settlement

Hello!!
I have a fresh issue tracker ticket and report from another commander which sounds SUPER similar! The additional report of this helps a lot. Thank you!

When using emotes I can't move afterwards for some seconds. In the video I do the emote and then try to move. You see the movement at the time the "freeze" stops. I've recognized that opening the menu interupts the freeze and I am able to move instantly. The voice is coming from the tool EDDI.

Source: https://youtu.be/ksdZwhM3CMI

Last edited:
Can confirm, i already have 4 Reactivation missions that cannot be completed (the particular type is: turn on power at... - no flames, no bodies)
No mission progress, no mission indication in the hud
Tried restarting, switch from apex to ship

Other mission types progressed and completed as expected (meet with npc and pick something, meet with npc and deliver something, larceny where i have to pick something from Irregular Markings planetary POI - all those 3 completed nicely, some in other systems, some in the same system with the stubborn reactivation missions)

Don't get me wrong team FDev, I appreciate updates and progress efforts and how frustrating it must be for you guys as much as us, but I can only hope our 4K girls and boys have gotten some actual performance improvements out of this update - just re-ran the training tutorial and captured before and after screenshots all the way and noticed no appreciable difference for me on a 2560x1080 rig. Still some dips in FPS in all the usual places. Not horrific ones, just the 40% drop for a few seconds and then back up to around 65-75 (75 being my monitor max). Still some surface glitchiness. And then returning to my SRV in open, I still see the ugly moiré patterns on the surfaces. Really discourages bothering with exploration never mind the new on foot gameplay.

My quick verdict. Teeny incremental progress on some on foot things (perhaps for higher res brethren), zero progress on core original gameplay/visuals. I feel this update really needed to be more. Given that a lot were hoping this would be the Hail Mary update, I can only surmise now that work on console is now definitely not expected until next year. It all makes me sad.

The horrible Moiré afflictions -- this jarring stuff really diminishes flying over surfaces and on the ground visuals and adds to the garish pixilation and shimmering effects seen everywhere.

20211027135904_1.jpg

EDIT: Additional surface exploration-related notes as I experience them
  • Still get surface colour/texture flashing when low flying (but less than before)
  • Still get rock scatter disappearing for a split second and then on again when low flying over surface (no change)
  • Still some stuttering low flying too where previously I would have a steady 75FPS there are now dips to 65FPS for no apparent reason - doesn't sound like much but it results in stuttering.
  • Still see distress beacons etc on almost every first discovered, first DSS scanned landable planet no matter that I am 1000+ LY away from Colonia in non-touristy areas
  • IN POSITIVE NEWS !! -- I haven't seen any of the "velvety" appearances of surfaces any more (so far).
  • Test of attempting to exit the game during maintenance inbox notifications on Thursdays still results in blackscreen hang requiring task kill.

Last edited:
Weird the only planets I would consistantly see Moire patterns was in Horizons, dont see those in Odyssey and I do a lot of planet exporation. What was the planet?

I just had my first big freeze on landing next to a Settlement, a few seconds, FPS didnt show a drop just stayed the same like the whole game froze, much more dramatic than the intermittent stuttering in Update 7. Of note I landed at a settlement on the dark side of a planet previously and didnt notice any performance issue when I landed there and on disembarking, this one was on the day side but in a dark crater.
2021-10-27 21_06_26-Greenshot.jpg

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Can confirm, i already have 4 Reactivation missions that cannot be completed (the particular type is: turn on power at... - no flames, no bodies)
No mission progress, no mission indication in the hud
Tried restarting, switch from apex to ship

Other mission types progressed and completed as expected (meet with npc and pick something, meet with npc and deliver something, larceny where i have to pick something from Irregular Markings planetary POI - all those 3 completed nicely, some in other systems, some in the same system with the stubborn reactivation missions)

Thank you! Grabbed this info.

Weird the only planets I would consistantly see Moire patterns was in Horizons, dont see those in Odyssey and I do a lot of planet exporation. What was the planet?

I just had my first big freeze on landing next to a Settlement, a few seconds, FPS didnt show a drop just stayed the same like the whole game froze, much more dramatic than the intermittent stuttering in Update 7. Of note I landed at a settlement on the dark side of a planet previously and didnt notice any performance issue when I landed there and on disembarking, this one was on the day side but in a dark crater.

You tend to find it around rugged terrain not flat areas - almost all planets have it to a greater or lesser extent.

Here's the very next system's planet I landed on... near some decent canyons

PS my system is 2560x1080 without any supersampling or anything enabled.

Attachments

• 20211028094202_1.jpg
    20211028094202_1.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20211028094146_1.jpg
    20211028094146_1.jpg
    602.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I see a considerable fps improvement in VR. There are still short freezes here and there, but overall performance seems much improved.

RTX 3070
Ryzen 3950x
Reverb G2

FSR Ultra High
SteamVR res 2.4K
Other settings medium/high

Very playable now. Even flying canyons and stuff.

Thanks to the devs :)(y)

I think I might have found what is resulting in initial disappoint for some, this happened to me when Update 7 dropped and I was initially horrified to see worse performance, but then I realised that AMD FSR seems to deactivate when playing around with Graphics Settings and you get returned to normal scaling performance even though it states AMD FSR is selected in the menu.

So Ive been running on max settings Ultra preset (Ultra+ terrain) (AMD FSR Balanced though) to push the rig and to have an easy to remember consistant base test and its been fine apart from arriving at this Settlement when it was around high 20s
2021-10-27 21_26_31-Greenshot.jpg

Thats a bit rubbish, I used to get mid-30s on High preset, so I go into the Graphics settings and select High Preset...

Oh my FPS has tanked to 17 fps on a lower graphics quality?!
2021-10-27 21_39_14-Greenshot.jpg

Let me check the settings, oh look AMD FSR has reverted to "Performance" as a default, an even lower setting than my preffered "Balanced" but how can I get worse performance?

2021-10-27 21_40_14-Greenshot.jpg

This is basically what happened to me when I first tried Update 7, so I set a higher AMD FSR value e.g. Quality to reactivate AMD FSR

2021-10-27 21_40_57-Greenshot.jpg

And my performance comes back again, 33 fps similar to Update 7 but certainly not worse but remember I am now using a higher quality AMD FSR setting to my usual one,

2021-10-27 21_41_41-Greenshot.jpg

So I set AMD FSR back to "Balanced" instead of Quality... 45 fps which is higher than I was getting in Update 7 while the rest of the Settlement seems to remain in the 40s
2021-10-27 22_02_23-Greenshot.jpg

Some nav mesh action
2021-10-27 22_05_26-Greenshot.jpg

Edit, I found reducing the shadow quality a bit enabled me to return to Quality preset in this Settlement at night and retain the decent 40-50 fps: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...e-the-patch-how-are-yours.592203/post-9575990

Last edited:
I might just be going nuts, but weren't the solar flares that rotate with your ship fixed previously?
I'm noticing them again frequently tonight, so either the issue has returned, or I just imagined them being fixed, sometimes it's all you can do.

Top Bottom