Elite Dangerous: Odyssey | Update 9 Notes

Deleted member 182079

D
I personally don't think that would make any sense, but there you go. What happens if I just wanted to fit a Class 1 Research Limpet Controller on my Exploration ship? Or Class 1 Collector on a combat ship?
Then you would buy a class 1 limpet controller (now multifunction), and assign whatever software slots (say out of 5), say 1 collector and 1 researcher. The more software slots you use up, the shorter the time each limpet survives.

Still make no sense?

I'm seeing a huge performance uplift as well, but I'd be grossly exaggerating if I said it was back to Horizons standards.

My high-end current generation cards are now performing, in Odyssey, the way my four year old 1080 Ti performs in Horizons.
Sounds about right for more graphic fidelity, so it sounds like Update 8 benefitted old gen cards while Update 9 benefitted current gen cards maybe.

I'm rather disappointed. I'm still having the same old 20 FPS on concourses with stuttering sound. Considering that we're 9 updates into the odyssey release now, I guess this is how it will stay.
For the record: GTX1650, quite lame I know, but it's all I can/want to afford at this time.
Your GPU is 10% slower than min specs. It's okay if you dont want to spend more, but if you play with below min specs you should have minimal expectations.

I noticed that the different payment haggling options do not update the likelihood of success stats, have only tried on a new Settlement mission giver though

Greetings Commanders.

Can you actually believe it’s the 9th of December and this is the 9th Update for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey? Does anyone else have any connections to the number 9? Not like I’m trying to distract you or anything.

Multi Limpet Controller Modules
Multi-Limpet Controllers are now available from Outfitting.
Multi-Limpet Controllers can program a limpet to perform one of a given set of tasks and will be available in multiple types which will dictate what functions it is able to program.
  • Mining Multi Limpet Controller module (Available in Size 3)
  • Operations Multi Limpet Controller module (Available in Size 3)
  • Rescue Multi Limpet Controller module (Available in Size 3)
  • Xeno Multi Limpet Controller module (Available in Size 3)
  • Universal Multi Limpet Controller module (Available in Size 7)
  • Make your tea for you module?
9 years of development on Elite Dangerous?

I still cannot grasp some FD decisions- limpet controller in the Lore takes up so much space and power why? The update is appreciated but it still is unnecessarily complex and restricting. Universal controller is only available in Size 7. Remember it should be Fun, not Frustrating. And while "because" is maybe the only answer because "its a game", it is preferred to stick to the game logic if at all possible- but then that requires some logic behind what is a limpet controller, why it is needed, and how it would function in the ED game world.

Same with SRVs. The new SRV as the first new ground vehicle since Horizons release is great! But planet surfaces are covered with Skimmers at every base and even crash sites. YET, players can't stock skimmers on the largest ships and there are no player-drivable skimmer vehicles (which could be a lot of fun). This makes no sense in the context of the game world.

when fdev pushes the hot-fix in a day or early next week to address how nobody is using these new limpet controllers they made because someone fat fingered a zero at the end of the mass ... I think it's much more reasonable to expect the mass of the limpet controllers to be less than the combined mass of the comprised controllers. I recommend roughly 6 tons for the class 3 guys. You have your handicap built in to the limpet abilities. You dont need this stupid mass penalty.

I'm not sure i care about the universal one. Who is a class 7 limpet controller even for? This is gonna be used as often as class B sensor packages or life support modules.
If fdev wants this module to be used by players, it's going to need to be dropped to maybe class 5. have a mass of maybe 15ish tons. There's no in-game need for a universal limpet controller (stations are plentiful and everything is cheap credit-wise) - so the only people who are equipping this thing are doing it for fun/lazy gameplay and not anything seriously considering optimal configuration. and space truckers aren't going to sacrifice a class 7 slot that could hold cargo or shields for a limpet controller where they 1000% will never need the use of at least most of the limpets available at any given time. I'd have to assume this is geared towards explorers who dont have carriers and maybe those guys dont care about the class 7 spot. But usually they dont care about it because they're trying to save on mass - so at the very least, it'll need that buff. The handful of players that group is comprised of will be happy.

Hmm, I wonder if anyone else sees something similar.

I've been massacring/killing pirates with my turret boat type-10 and SLF. Many times the pirates are shooting at me, but aren't detected as enemies (don't turn red) so that the turrets don't auto fire. Also when I send the SLF to attack my target many times they don't show up as enemies (in red), to my turrets won't start firing.. At the moment I'm in EDO and this was working fine the last few days.
Same thing happend to me in my conda

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Then you would buy a class 1 limpet controller (now multifunction), and assign whatever software slots (say out of 5), say 1 collector and 1 researcher. The more software slots you use up, the shorter the time each limpet survives.

Still make no sense?
5 slots on a class 1 multi controller? I'd say sweet, that's massively overpowered but it'll do :) Limpet lifespan doesn't really mean anything in terms of half the limpets.

Same thing happend to me in my conda
Seems like they also attack my SLF without becoming red and neither my turrets nor the SLF attacks them. Sometimes I have a ship shooting at me, and they never turn red, so a bit difficult to locate them, and my ship won't defend itself. Let me study the problem more, but something is definitely fishy here..

@sallymorganmoore we are very keen that organic scanner bug gets resolved quickly. Our Speed Scanning Challenge is due to finish on New Year's Eve and every day that this is delayed means people will have less time to beat @Alec Turner

It also means that shameless plugs like this one will have little effect if people can't go out and scan things and win the remarkable prizes that we have on offer.

Hi cmdrs,
is it just me or... since update 9, i can't manage my ships or even buy a new one:
When i click on shipyard it's just loading for a moment and then back to my cockpit.
Please help :cry:

Deleted member 182079

D
5 slots on a class 1 multi controller? I'd say sweet, that's massively overpowered but it'll do :) Limpet lifespan doesn't really mean anything in terms of half the limpets.
Overpowered? For what?

I always considered limpets as QoL features, unless people found a way to PvP each other with them? Why not make the honk scanner a module again then?

So what if having fewer optional slots being wasted on limpet controllers. It'll also open up smaller ships to become more versatile. But I guess this is too common-sensey is it. And in fact it doesn't even make sense for limpet controllers to exist in its current form, since we already have to carry the limpets separately. Either make limpet controllers a piece of software (and keep carrying limpets in cargo holds) OR keep limpet controllers the way they are (really, really heavy computers that my RPi3 could run rings around) but change limpets into ammo (AFMU says hi). It's all over the shop the way it is now.

Edit - re life span, it could be that for collectors, range for others, cost perhaps. If you really must balance it that is (my computer doesn't get heavier for example because I install more programs on it).

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
@sallymorganmoore we are very keen that organic scanner bug gets resolved quickly. Our Speed Scanning Challenge is due to finish on New Year's Eve and every day that this is delayed means people will have less time to beat @Alec Turner

It also means that shameless plugs like this one will have little effect if people can't go out and scan things and win the remarkable prizes that we have on offer.

Can totally appreciate this.
I've escalated all of the issues I've collected on this and the team are aware.
Just uh...well...things really are suddenly a bit choppy around here for some reason. Bear with o7

Back
Top Bottom