Elite Dangerous PS4 Feature Requests and PS4 FAQ

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
PS4 Feature Requests

Updated 18/01/2021 (only to clarify Cobra Mk IV)

• Will PS4™ players be able to get -- now or in the future -- the Cobra Mk IV?
    Lloyd Morgan-Moore has responded that FDev are aware but there is no news, [Here] Its also listed in the official FAQ. Arthur Tolmie confirmed this is not going to be available on PS4 [Here]
  • Is it possible to change the HUD colour?
    It is not currently possible to change the HUD colours on the PS4 version of the game. Currently on the PC this is achieved by editing config files but Frontier are looking at ways of bringing this to the console versions. [Here]
  • Full 4K / Dynamic / Checkerboard or 1440p support on the PS4™Pro
    At this time there is no support for 4K or dynamic 4K on the PS4 Pro. No further response on this from FDev to date. Its also listed in the FAQ.
  • HDR Support
    No HDR support, there is no HDR support on any platform for Elite Dangerous. Its listed in the official FAQ.
  • PSVR support
    No PSVR support at the moment, No further response from FDev, its listed in the official FAQ: Update 07/02/2018 from Edward Lewis talking on Lave Radio [Here]. Further update 26/02/2018 stating no immediate plans to announce from Will Flanagan [Here].
  • DS4 Controller Internal Speaker support (option) (source)
    No support at the moment, no response from FDev on this.
  • DS4 Context Sensitive Menu, Expand for Triggers and Touchpad (source)
  • Custom control options to allow multiple configurations to be saved for both DS4 and HOTAS (source) Added as part of 3.0! (source)
  • Pedal support for the Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS 4 (source 1) (source 2)
  • Camera Head Tracking support (source)
  • Console Player Journal support (source 1) and (source 2) This appears now to be possible, hopefully more apps will add support see: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...-PSN-account-to-EDSN-net-to-log-your-journeys and https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/473844-Import-your-data-from-Frontier-to-Inara!
  • Keyboard (and mouse) control method support source source 2
  • Voice command support within the game source
  • 30 frames per second rate lock source

Elite Dangerous on PS4 FAQ

Official FAQ [Here] Updated: Tuesday 27th September 2018

Additions to the main FAQ:

Will the platinum trophy require CQC trophies?
Yes. There are now confirmed 4 CQC trophies required for platinum.

A True Champ - Win 25 CQC matches
Butcher - Win 10 Deathmatches.
Signalman - Win 10 CTF matches.
Team Player - Win 10 Team deathmatches.

What are the default DS4 touchpad bindings?
Detailed below thanks to Senior Producer Gary Richards.

Correct, the touchpad can be used to move around the Galaxy Map in much the same way as you would use any other touch device, you can also use pinch/spread to zoom in/out and press-hold to move up and down the Galaxy Plane, when not in the Galaxy Map each of the touchpad corners act as a separate button, the defaults are top left/right cycle fire groups and bottom left/right select the left/right panels. Like the other platforms all button controls are fully remappable.

Additionally default layouts are shown here (they do not detail all the shift functions): [Here]

PS4 Live stream questions [Here]

Will there be a PS4 version of the manual made available to players?

Yes, its now available (Thanks Lloyd!) [Here]

Last edited:
We know that "We have nothing to announce at this time" is a polite NO most of the time although I suspect that they will eventually connect the PS4 VR just for the sales alone...unless there are already legal agreements with Oculus, Vive etc. Otherwise as kids it's our parents when we ask, "Can I have a whatever" and they reply, "We'll see". It means NO for now but can change in the future. Frontier is a lot more understanding than parents! :)

The Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS 4 PS4/PC is licensed by Sony for the PS4. It is the only one. Nothing from Frontier on supporting this but maybe in version 3.0? Anyway they are promoting the Dual Shock advanced features so it should be exciting to see what they came up with. Xbox players might get jealous!

With no cross platform connections (PC doesn't see Xbox which doesn't see PS4) everyone starts out new on the PS4 in a new universe. That is a good thing. I'd love a live stream showing off the PS4!

Not to worry. I think ED is going to be awesome on the PlayStation but I'm an optimistic guy! Someone dies then they don't have to worry about paying the bills, taxes, world issues or a nagging wife! That's me. So my shiny new PS4 Pro with two Dual Shock controllers (when the batteries go low), quick charging stand, controller attached keyboard, USB flash drive for backup saves, PS Plus and Bluetooth connection to the PC (play the PS game remotely via PS Plus using a laptop in bed etc) are awaiting the release!

Regards

Last edited:

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Must admit I am still on the fence about PS4 Pro. I'll see how it runs on the poor mans PS4 first. Can't say I am fussed about VR on any platform personally.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see the difference between a PS4 and a PS4 Pro. I figure Frontier dialed ED in the PS4 (maybe has more sales but couldn't find any data) and probably won't see much improvement with the PS4 Pro. Just a total off the wall guess with no facts!

While I would like to try VR I'm not all that into it given my bad eye site but it is a big deal for many on the PC with thousands using it. With the VR and Camera options on the PS4 the game sees your head/body moments and listens to the sounds from the live space you play in. Pretty awesome technology that actually works. Maybe won't work for me with three dogs moving around, one jumps in my lap, another one barks and I lose a ship in combat!

I'm not surprised at all by whats in the FAQ. The FAQ will get updated over time/closer to the Q2 release. All the focus is on the Holo-Me/Vanity Camera/Multi-Crew/Mega-Ship features for 2.3. right now which will most likely make it into the PS4 release. Once the features are presented to the existing community and bugs are worked out, their focus should theoretically be on the PS4 version. Q2 starts in 45 Days

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I'm not surprised at all by whats in the FAQ. The FAQ will get updated over time/closer to the Q2 release. All the focus is on the Holo-Me/Vanity Camera/Multi-Crew/Mega-Ship features for 2.3. right now which will most likely make it into the PS4 release. Once the features are presented to the existing community and bugs are worked out, their focus should theoretically be on the PS4 version. Q2 starts in 45 Days

I would think its pretty much a given we will get the latest build be that 2.3 or 2.4 at time of release. So some of this work must be going on with the PS4 in parallel to a degree.

Last edited:
Great spot stormy, can the mods sticky this post/link?

Good to see my wish for headlook motion control confirmed. Just hope the controls can all be customised, and that motion control can be switched for trying with ship control. If that is only as a separate yaw control I'll be all over it.

Price is good, comparable to the Xbox core game plus Horizons.

Psvr all but confirmed then, just maybe not launch ready.
I think if you haven't tried psvr yet, I would bet that you will want it for elite after playing the star wars battlefront vr mission. Expensive kit for the amount of good games available on it, but if elite used it, it won't need any others! For me anyway.

The remote play on vita is going to be tricky with all the controls and less buttons, but customising your controls would work if there was an option to switch between two sets of specific controls.

But, the psvr is handy for semi-remote play while the little one watches trolls for the 29th time :)

Tldr- happy

Having played with the PSVR at the weekend I echo previous posters in saying it is an absolute game changer. The Star Wars Battlefront demo is amazing as is the CoD Advanced Warfare Space Fighter mission. The sheer immersion and natural feeling of it is amazing. It's very comfortable and light to.

Setting it up is childs play (just a couple of hdmi leads).

I am currently selling some other hobbies on eBay to fund one I was that impressed. It's also made me crave an Occulus for PC.

Basically I'm hyped for Elite on PS4 🤗

The faq had an update yesterday. Some things people have been asking have been addressed...

Can I transfer my CMDR save to the PS4™ from my PC, Mac or Xbox?
We understand this is a desired request but we have nothing to announce at this time.

Can I share my commander between platforms?
This will not be possible. Similar to our Xbox One release, we are unable to support access to a single CMDR save across multiple platforms.

Can I move my game license over to the PS4™?
This will not be possible. PlayStation 4 will be a new purchase on a new platform.

How will store currency work on the PS4™?
Players will be able to purchase Frontier Points from the PlayStation®Store. These points can then be used to purchase Ship items, such as Paint Jobs, Ship Kits and Bobbleheads from the Frontier Store via an in-game link.

Can I buy/transfer my paint jobs, laser colours etc to the PS4™?
This will not be possible. All cosmetic items intended for use on PS4™ must be purchased on PS4™.

Will there be a discount for buying on PS4™ if I own another copy?
There is no discount promotion planned at this time.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
Ahh nice spot. Some of those were on the original.

This one is also new:

Will full 4K be supported for Elite Dangerous on the PS4™Pro?
Elite Dangerous will feature enhanced performance on PS4™Pro. We’ll have more to information about this closer to release.

I am curious if it will be enhanced enough to warrant a PS4 upgrade.

Looks like they also confirmed Solo can be played without PS+ (which I think is how it works on Xbox already)

This one is also new:

Will full 4K be supported for Elite Dangerous on the PS4™Pro?
Elite Dangerous will feature enhanced performance on PS4™Pro. We’ll have more to information about this closer to release.

I am curious if it will be enhanced enough to warrant a PS4 upgrade.

I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan to buy one this year, but if the PS4 Pro version has enough benefits, including PSVR, a new PS4 would go to the top of my buying list.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
I don't have a 4K TV and don't plan to buy one this year, but if the PS4 Pro version has enough benefits, including PSVR, a new PS4 would go to the top of my buying list.

Yeh all the stuff I have read have pretty much said if you don't have a 4K TV then its not really worth the upgrade. We shall find out hopefully soon if that applies to ED or not.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the PSVR will be limited. It might only be available for outer space, to make sure nobody has any stomach-upsetting moments in their SRVs.

It might only be available in Arena, PSVRCQCC

Top Bottom