This is a Staff mainly focused question, but of course everyone who has more infos and constructive feedback and comments will have a really good time.

I always have been some kind of modder, from the first Unreal, passing through Neverwinter Nights and then generating Photoreal sceneries based on orthophotos for both MSFSX and Xplane.

I previously read that there was the plan, after the end of the official support, to release an SDK for us to keep on playing freely on our own servers with our own mods.

Is it still in the plans? I mean, I know that sucks having tons of Ian Solos around with their falcon in the game and I totally agree with having no mods whilst the game is being expanded and supported, but as a modder and a really in love fan, I would never like to see this game die just because of the generational change in hardware and software or for a new chapter coming out.

I think that keeping on the original idea is a great thing both for FDev to keep up some sales after the game support ends, and for all the very talented players who can and will spend days or years in modding, teaming up for total conversions and small add-ons.

Of course we gotta consider Cobra engine is a shared engine and this could be difficult to be worked out. But I am writing this post for the community and the Devs not to forget and for them to also light the interest up because. Well one day I would really like to be one of the ones going back into modding and into downloading mods to build what I think to be the perfect experience using both my effort and community's.

Best regards, CMDR ChrisT "Losco Nosciuto" Da Ros

I've suggested this on many occasions and the general consensus of opinion is "lets ignore it and talk about Ganking, fighters, piracy, combat logging, the grind, RNG and any other number of mind numbing topics"

I agree that Modding extends the lifetime of a game, but I don't think it needs to be right at the end, and an SDK (construction kit tool box whatever) I believe could help sell MORE games, IF...
The only way to see the mod was to download it from ED.
the toolbox could be used to create and test content within the sandbox provided, when completed it could be fired off to ED and they could inspect it*
then the only players that could download mods would be the ones with a toolbox account.

A secondary benefit would also see those more 'talented' modders showing their wares allowing ED some first hand experience for future employees.

* the toolbox need only allow certain functions to ensure nothing overpowering could be created.

I can get behind this. It sounds like FDev don't care about VR much. And there is a really extreme limit on what anyone besides FDev is able to do with just an overlay. If I could go and write a mod that tweaks the game to be much better in VR, I'd be happy. And there are others with other improvements to the game that this would be useful for.

Lestat

Banned
I think if they do anything. They will release the Server to a Third party source. So we can play online. I believed that was talked about around 2014 before the game release. But while in Alpha or beta.

They did talk about it during Alpha state and from what I have seen and heard the reaction was positive, as the reaction of any player base in games which supports Modding. We have Solo more, which is practically equal to PVT Group in your own group, and that is empty and TBH kinda useless (proven that you can put up your own PVT server) so why don't just use it as a fully moddable sandbox experience?

Paid or not (wether I would support both but not paid mods) it is a really improving feature which would extend the gameplay structure without cheating the Open Play or PVT groups.

Most of all, as stated above, it's a chance to find out talented people who (don't tell me it never happened) could be employed in a future.

Even if it is still their plan we're talking about something that won't happen for several more years. They're nowhere near the end of official support.

They are not, but the fact is COBRA Engine is a shared engine, so it would need an even major effort to develop a focused SDK, for it not to intefere with the non-moddability of other Frontier Games.

In fact this was something to bring that up again, but if you read up above you'll see a couple of interesting features that could be done even before the end of support, like turning solo (which is USELESS since you can create your own private group and just don't share it) into a fully moddable sandbox mode where at highest level you can mod it and play on an offline server where you can mod and "cheat" with no risk, even put up your fav faction to the role of Superpower (always via Mod), and at it's lowest you can use it vanilla to test outfits out :)

This would even reduce the number of OpenPlay cheaters and botters around.

Want some SIngle Player cheaty playing time? Go solo, load your mods / cheats, manipulate your own LOCAL BGS/PowerPlay and stop stressing servers with god modes and stuff :D
Easy, effective and most of all USEFUL

Top Bottom