Elite Dangerous (Steam) just set a new All Time record for concurrent CMDRs, beating previous highest in Nov 2015

These charts seem to indicate that any previous crying of "game is dying" was clearly wrong 🤷‍♂️

Gawd, you're terrible... I absolutely loathe posts like this, ones that try to claim to be reasonable and rational, but don't do even the most basic research to prove, let alone challenge their own equally ill informed, biased opinions.

But if you do even a simple cross check, oh look, the base game is currently 75% off in the Steam store. It's selling for £4.99. Might that have an equally important role in why numbers are spiking? Done any seasonal analysis? Your own graph proves the spike rises and falls quite regularly, is there a pattern? Done the actual research to see if every other game on a huge sale is indeed seeking a covid-spike, despite briefly skipping over it elsewhere?

Something something my identity is tied to the game so sneer at critics because something something. Because one thing that's guaranteed to mkae a game community healthy and viable long term is turning it into just as much of a sad little team sport as the people you decry...

Gawd, you're terrible... I absolutely loathe posts like this, ones that try to claim to be reasonable and rational, but don't do even the most basic research to prove, let alone challenge their own equally ill informed, biased opinions.

But if you do even a simple cross check, oh look, the base game is currently 75% off in the Steam store. It's selling for £4.99. Might that have an equally important role in why numbers are spiking? Done any seasonal analysis? Your own graph proves the spike rises and falls quite regularly, is there a pattern? Done the actual research to see if every other game on a huge sale is indeed seeking a covid-spike, despite briefly skipping over it elsewhere?

Something something my identity is tied to the game so sneer at critics because something something. Because one thing that's guaranteed to mkae a game community healthy and viable long term is turning it into just as much of a sad little team sport as the people you decry...
bCpXCcx.jpg

I do enjoy Steam stats threads :D

Anyway, here are two 6-month charts from SteamDB, showing Daily Peak Concurrent (top) and Price (bottom) - I've also marked the weekend when quarantining & lockdowns began in Europe:

R0Da4Dk.png

Meanwhile, here are the Maximum/Average/Minimum Daily Peak Steam Concurrents for each March/April/May, each year, since Elite Dangerous' launch on Steam - the Aprils are highlighted for convenience:

OHR4GwK.png

Lastly, here are the 1-month daily peak concurrent Steam charts for Elite Dangerous plus the top-five most-played games on Steam (clockwise from top-right), to visualise the COVID lockdown effect:

kehs1Iv.png

I hope that satisfies your curiosity :)

Last edited:
"Steam numbers are meaningless." I hear that a lot. While they certainly are not the complete picture, they are indicative of player count trends.
A lot of people off right now, coupled with an update announcement detailing something that is going to require a ton of credits to afford. The results of that are somewhat predictable.
Borann is nuts right now. System chat shows that place is packed with miners acquiring the credits they need for FC, and the pirates/gankers/griefers/white knights looking for their fun.

Or we could wait until the lockdowns disappear, then take a look at the charts and show a low point. Highlight that and say the opposite, which would apparently be just as pointless as this thread. Come on you cant be serious, you know this data is skewed because of the global crisis.

Or we could wait until the lockdowns disappear, then take a look at the charts and show a low point. Highlight that and say the opposite, which would apparently be just as pointless as this thread. Come on you cant be serious, you know this data is skewed because of the global crisis.

Sure, but if Elite was as bad as you'd believe from reading on here, then people wouldn't be playing it, but something else instead. And yes, it's on sale which is helped by the fact that all reviews of the game are now 79% mostly positive, probably in part due to the new player experience. It's also in the top 75 most played games on Stream, so despite people playing other games it's more than holding its own. After all, the global crisis is skewing all games, not just Elite.

My previous comment now has charts of the top-five most-played games on Steam during the recent global pandemic.

Once the global pandemic has been nullified, I don't think Elite will drop to the "game is really dying, it's doomed for sure now" levels of early/mid-2016, when daily peak Steam concurrents of below 3500 were regularly occurring.

The game isn't dying because people don't play it. Frontier are lucky enough to have a constant stream of new players joining the game.
The game is dying because Frontier are doing the absolute minimum necessary to make sure this constant stream -- their main source of income -- does not dry up.

Considering this, it's your choice: does the number of active people prove the quality of a game? Laughs in Farmville

Deleted member 110222

D
To all those saying Steam charts don't count:

They count more than trying to measure players who don't use Steam.

Steam is where we can actually see numbers. FD has never told us the full numbers. Ever.

Sorry but that's the facts of why Steam charts are the best indication of population that ED has.

Once the global pandemic has been nullified, I don't think Elite will drop to the "game is really dying, it's doomed for sure now" levels of early/mid-2016, when daily peak Steam concurrents of below 3500 were regularly occurring.
And once the immediate pandemic peak is over, fdev will be moving to promoting the big paid update. Interest in that will be huge. Game's not doomed quite yet ...

For me, I've messed about with other peoples carriers, thought they were cool. But what it has done is pulled me back in to the live game, and I'm currently out exploring and visiting some codex entries I've never seen. IN AN ASP of all things. After probably 3 or 4 years not using it I'm loving it's cockpit and manoeuvrability compared to my Phantom explorer.

Doomed. So doomed.

Wanna know what they are doing, They're grinding their rears off.
Exactly. It's the upkeep cost coupled with news that Borann is gone, coupled with frontier sale on Steam, coupled with lockdown causing people to have a bit more time for themselves because they skipped daily commute. What it isn't, is a new addition to the core game, so frankly... "Steam charts are useless" 😝😂 oh and Doom(b).

Top Bottom