Elite Dangerous: Update 7.01 and Horizons Update (PC Only)

No, the inconsistencies in performance issues are the odd part here, and you seem to be more on the (rather rare) happy side of the spectrum
Although the inconsistencies are puzzling, the one thing I would say is that we have little information on how "rare" it is. Plenty of people have posted on how bad they find it, but there won't be as many people posting about how bad they're not finding it.

Reporting bias, really.

We don't know what actual proportion of the player base is having these issues, just that they're very vocal about it.

Deleted member 182079

D
Although the inconsistencies are puzzling, the one thing I would say is that we have little information on how "rare" it is. Plenty of people have posted on how bad they find it, but there won't be as many people posting about how bad they're not finding it.

Reporting bias, really.

We don't know what actual proportion of the player base is having these issues, just that they're very vocal about it.
While it's true that content people are less likely to leave feedback, and while not covering 100% of the playerbase of course, Steam is a pretty good indicator of a sizeable portion in lieu of that at least (for the record I don't own Odyssey on Steam myself but bought directly via the Frontier store), so I wouldn't say we're completely in the dark on this, both in terms of negative written feedback, and average player numbers dropping (something you wouldn't really expect so short after a brand new and meaty (relatively speaking) DLC drops after a lengthy content drought.

The negative feedback on Steam and other places on the internet (Reddit, Youtube comments etc.) seems to correlate with the feedback here in the forum (and quite frankly my very own experience with the game), and player number drops correlates on a more anecdotal level (i.e. activity, or rather lack thereof, within my own friendlist).

Edit - and just to add, the CEO of a company doesn't come out in public and make not one, but two posts in relatively short succession - just short of an apology - simply for the craic.

Yes, once again this worn out argument. I'll bet you don't realise how many people have already quit in frustration and stopped posting here altogether. I claim to have a very long thread of patience, but even that is about to break. When that happens, you won't hear another word from me. And a week later you already will have forgotten my name. But tell me more about reporting bias. Who knows, maybe one day you'll even believe in it yourself?

Don't keep us waiting.

So you're saying that with AMD fudges disabled you see improvements? Lucky you I guess, it's been the other way around for me throughout, to the point that I loathe booting up Odyssey.
Again, I'm not saying everything is improving - some things have, some haven't, and some things have gotten worse. But the improvements are outnumbering the regressions - it might be three steps forward and one step back, but people are talking about it as if it were zero steps forward, only steps back, which is inaccurate and dishonest.

Reporting bias, really.

I’ve had no real issues with FPS in Odyssey until update 7 (RTX 2080/Ryzen 3900x). Now I experience stuttering/abrupt drops in FPS mainly when entering settlements, in stations (landing/launching), and on-foot conflict zones. I’ve tried tweaking settings, but it seems persistent. Prior to update 7, things were relatively smooth in comparison.

They loop for you? They just go full suicide mode on me and slam into the rock.
Because the target is in the rock :(

As far as I can tell, the fragment (or lump) does not spawn in the rock, but finds its way into the rock (usually due to the rock's spin). It would help if the fragments had proper colliders (just spheres would be perfectly good), too.

There seems to also be the problem of the limpets getting smacked by a fast moving rock, but that can't really be called a bug.

It exists with your the ship to the rocks and the ship to the fragments. Just not fragments to rocks. I'm willing to bet when they added core mining they used the same fragments that pop out from laser mining. Since I'm guessing this is the issue. The simplest solution is to delay the onset of collision detection with fragment to rock by .5 to 1 second. This will enable laser mining to stay the same and pop out of the rock while core mining will be fixed.

I don't really understand your first sentence, I guess due to a typo? But where you say it, and since I often pick up fragments manually, they actually do have collision detection towards my ship. Is that what you were trying to say?
Yeah it was me removing a redundant sentence and being too lazy to fix the following sentence.

It exists with your the ship to the rocks and the ship to the fragments. Just not fragments to rocks. I'm willing to bet when they added core mining they used the same fragments that pop out from laser mining. Since I'm guessing this is the issue. The simplest solution is to delay the onset of collision detection with fragment to rock by .5 to 1 second. This will enable laser mining to stay the same and pop out of the rock while core mining will be fixed.
Delaying a detection that, according to your previous statement, doesn't happen at all?

And if there was rock-to-fragment collision, delaying it would only allow the fragment an opportunity to clip into the rock before collisions can happen, trapping the fragment in the rock.

Delaying a detection that, according to your previous statement, doesn't happen at all?

And if there was rock-to-fragment collision, delaying it would only allow the fragment an opportunity to clip into the rock before collisions can happen, trapping the fragment in the rock.
Fragments already get trapped and for some reason never leave the rock. The delay is so it doesn't get stuck inside the border where it can't be reached, or even having multiple collisions to the point it flies off at speeds putting the FSD to shame.

Last edited:
Fragments already get trapped and for some reason never leave the rock. The delay is so it doesn't get stuck inside the border where it can't be reached, or even having multiple collisions to the point it flies off at speeds putting the FSD to shame.
How do you think they get trapped? If they spawn outside the rock, then a delay in hit detection is exactly what would give them the time to clip into the rock before becoming trapped...

However, it is more likely that they are spawning offset from where they're supposed to appear, causing some of them to spawn already inside the rock - but delaying collisions won't guarantee that they will drift in the correct direction to escape the rock. As mentioned above, some that spawned outside could drift into the rock after spawning; those that spawn inside the rock may drift further into the rock, or not move at all

The only fix is to ensure that the fragments are always spawning outside of the rocks, and can never drift to the inside of the rocks

Yes and no. I've seen them drift into the rock several times, but I've never seen them spawning inside (which is not to say that even that isn't possible). I think I even have a video of it somewhere. But once they are in the rock, they usually have a hard time getting out. But even there, I've seen exceptions. Not that I can make any sense of it...

Found an older example of the latter case:

Sounds like the collision geometry is inside out - if it allowed fragments to drift out but not in, problem solved

Sounds like the collision geometry is inside out - if it allowed fragments to drift out but not in, problem solved

I've been wasting a lot of collector limpets all weekend and today mining Tritium for the carrier so I tried watching a few & they just don't collide with the asteroid at all.

Some I saw phased in & out of lumps on the asteroid & I was able to collect them, wasting a few limpets until one got lucky.

Others just remain inside the asteroid, presumably because the asteroid is rotating slowly or the chunk just started outside the asteroid but in a position that is rarely outside as the asteroid rotates.

These past few days are the worst (for wasting limpets) I've ever seen, although I only mine Trit & only since the beginning of 2021.

@sallymorganmoore

Just plotted a jump for my shiny new FC, thought better of it, cancelled it (got the jump cancelled message) and headed off in my ship instead. A few minutes later the FC jumped anyway, which is annoying.

Was going to put it on the issue tracker, but I see it's been on there three times already and expired each time.

(Really, I think the automatic expiry of tickets on the issue tracker is a big problem with its design. But that's a discussion for another day.)

Top Bottom