News Elite: Dangerous will support Oculus Rift

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
What I have heard so far Sony VR will really cost leg and more. Don't know about quality, but it would be fun for someone to compare it with OR when both are released.

It is quite clear though that OR will be more accessible for PC gamers.

Received my rift yesterday after a 6 week wait (I purchased it after hearing Elite would support the rift), the demo environments are awesome, very impressed so far, trying team fortress tonight!

I should add that my own rift development project uses the leap motion controller for hands free environment manipulation which will be an option for people concerned about using a keyboard taking you away from the vr.

Also, does anyone know at what stage I will be able to test the rift? I.e. Will it be available in first round beta etc.

Last edited:
This is great news.

I was first alerted to the RIFT by the interest of someone I know who runs a software company in Finland and intended using it in her latest game.

I've been looking again and it seems to still be in the development stage. Hopefully a final product will soon be available, at prices which are a bit more affordable.

Having worked on one or two innovative products in the past, I know the big challenge is a design that can be adapted to a production line. At that stage, the production costs usually drop dramatically, so backers can get a decent return.

As interested as I am, (interested isn't really the word, but English doesn't seem to have a way of describing interest X 10!), I will need to play the standard version for the time being, cost being the factor.

Though I do look forward to hearing from others, of their experiences, here.

Elite, especially the incredible latest rendering, seems an idea platform for this sort of technology.

I am really looking forward to the Rift, but am hesitant to spend the money until the consumer version (1080p, 6Dof) comes out. I suspect that the lower res of the development kit would make it hard to read the HUD fine prints.

Until then, I'll have to be happy using the IR5. :)

I just hope they'll fix the penchant for disintegrating the Oculus SDK versions have.

Someone I know works at Born Ready Games and he said that it was ludicrous, their Rifts were held together by duct tape and glue in the end.

Hi Guys have you seen EDD

I've just updated EDD (Elite Dangerous Database) with the ability to engage in combat with beam lasers and not very clever homing missiles.

So even if you're not in the alpha you can still have a blast in a cobra this christmas!

Now as a fellow OR owner, developer and enthusiast, would you be interested in a VR enabled version of EDD?

screenShot06.jpg

Hi Guys have you seen EDD

I've just updated EDD (Elite Dangerous Database) with the ability to engage in combat with beam lasers and not very clever homing missiles.

So even if you're not in the alpha you can still have a blast in a cobra this christmas!

Now as a fellow OR owner, developer and enthusiast, would you be interested in a VR enabled version of EDD?

are you offering a go on your rift ? :rolleyes:

I just hope they'll fix the penchant for disintegrating the Oculus SDK versions have.

Someone I know works at Born Ready Games and he said that it was ludicrous, their Rifts were held together by duct tape and glue in the end.

The SDK was disintegrating? You mean the Oculus Rift development kit, not the software development kit...

And as for them falling apart - it seems robust enough to survive if I look after it reasonably well

i know , was just messing

we have not explicitly been told that if it will or wont. we do know the devs have implemented and tested it . from that a reasonable guess would have to 'yes' (but dont expect it)

Gawd I hope so, my Rift is sat here waiting for a decent game to test it on.
I'm getting sick of low rez indie games.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Lunar Flight are both in the Steam sale, both really good if you haven't tried them. :smilie:

I hope FD include a look and lock missile system in ED as it changes the game in OR, it should also work with TrackIR systems.

EVE have it in Valkyrie and it really shows off how OR can shine.

I included it in Space War and it's a great feature. Even if you get a bogey who is out dogfighting you, just get a good enough look at him to get a lock and launch those homing missiles.

I hope FD include a look and lock missile system in ED as it changes the game in OR, it should also work with TrackIR systems.

EVE have it in Valkyrie and it really shows off how OR can shine.

I included it in Space War and it's a great feature. Even if you get a bogey who is out dogfighting you, just get a good enough look at him to get a lock and launch those homing missiles.

I expect you'll have to have your ship actually pointing at the target to get a missile lock? Perhaps not. If they give look-and-lock to OR then they'll need to allow click-and-lock for mouse and so forth, as otherwise it'd give a huge combat advantage to OR users beyond the pure looking-around gain they naturally get.

We'll find out in alpha I suppose (assuming they have missiles initially and not just pewpew lazors). I hope one stat they collect once multiplayer is added is the win/loss ratios for OR vs non-OR users, if they're way out of whack then balancing will be required.

I think a click and look would be a good addition for none TIR/OR players, as they could still look around the cockpit, and needed for those find the bogey moments.

Mind you the old elite ships had multiple camera angles, forward, rear, left and right and the option for lasers to be mounted facing that direction.

So even without a VR look for none OR players changing view and obtaining a missile lock could still be an option without needing to get a forward and central lock.

Not sure how that would work for OR players, jumping between camera views and being able to look around.

As jabokai said, get Lunar Flight, if you can fly that bird you'll be able to fly anything ED can throw at you. :p Mars is a trip! :D

Oh and get yourself a XBOX 360 controller if you haven't got one, cheap and chips. :)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom