Elite Expedition: The Search for Color! (sequel to: The Wrath of Beige)

Nice one ;)

I was parked on a similar one earlier with a yellow pole, although it was otherwise not that interesting a place.

I tend to favour O & B class systems but will stop off anywhere if I haven't parked the ship in a while so most of the HMCs & MRs I see look silver with dabs of colour at crater edges. My favourites are the potatoes that orbit ringed gas giants. Mostly rocky & often the closest one to the rings has some volcanic activity to look for.

I botched a landing on a 3.5g world a few days ago. Came in a little hotter than expected, didn't have enough ENG to boost & stupidly took pips out of SYS to refill ENG moments before the back end touched the ground. The resulting scrape took out my shields & knocked me down to 75% hull. You've cheered me up :D

Can I just say this thread is epic?

I wish you guys luck in finding colorful planets!

Also, I'm definitely seeing now what you guys are on about...it's not that there's no variation in color as a whole, exactly, but that each planet - at least for metallic or rocky planets - is rather uniform in color tone.

While there's some sense in that if a planet is mostly made up of some specifical material, that's what it will look like - it would be nice to at *least* have more patches and swathes of lighter or darker ground, and perhaps higher amounts of visible tectonics.

I unfortunately won't be able to take a closer look myself, just gazing at a landable planet the wrong way currently can drop me to 10 FPS or below - have to wait for the fix coming in 2.3 for that issue.

Last edited:
And it even has some rather deep and craggy canyon systems, not to mention some rather un-HMC like mountain ranges on it. It's literally like this planet didn't use the usual HMC terrain generator and instead decided to use MR terrain and coloring!

I believe the geography variation is tied to planet size/gravity, planets under 850~km radius appear more likely to have varied and interesting terrain features. Under 600km radius they're almost guaranteed to have montain ranges and canyons. Terrain gets smoothed out in larger planets, if i want to land somewhere cool, i look for the small ones.

Last edited:
I too am completely floored, and bewildered by this. I saw that thread grow and grow. And no offense to the individuals discussing the hair length thing. But I have to wonder/worry if perhaps my concept of much needed fixes to an Outer Space sim are some how convoluted. It would be easy to make the argument that I am failing in what is important and what is not. The hair thread shot up to 40+ pages in half a day, yet this thread just made 8 pages in just under a week.

From this perspective I can actually understand FD's lack of concern about the beiging. Why would they when the community is far more concerned about Golden locks?

LLaP

S1E

A colorful Universe doesnt matter when youre pew-pewing, but long flowing hair is a must

What really gets me is I live in Nevada/Arizona USA and the vast beige desert I see every day has more color variance than the ED Universe

Last edited:
I'm waiting for Mengy to get bored, I have a few pics lined up. I've posted pics in previous threads too. Every time I posted one the criteria was narrowed, so considering how subjective it is I'll just carry on watching Mengy's selective progress reports ;)
Not sure how you figure that.

I started the whole thing posting a thread on how HMC and MR planets were brown. At the moment the claim is that HMC and MR planets are brown. Can you explain what you mean by the criteria being narrowed?

btw perhaps not everyone is aware the MB already responded about a week ago? I know Ziggy is aware, (s)he's been sarcastic about it a couple of times.
I'm actually not aware. The last thing I heard from MB is: we will look into it.

If you could link me or point me in a direction, I'd be very grateful. :)

With changes to procedural content there are winners & losers. Before we had preposterously exaggerated features & colours in some cases, now those have been toned back and other areas have been much improved. It's no worse overall (I think it's better), but if you narrow down your criteria to HMCs & MRs orbiting KGF stars you could miss out.
There's that claim again, so here's a link to the thread that started it all many moons ago:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/304905-Planets-in-2-2-50-shades-of-beige

Look, if you like the changes, it's a subjective thing so no argument from me. But when you start downplaying the claim, you better support that.
On my way there I only saw variations in brown for HMC and MR planets. From wallpaper paste brown to baby poo brown. Usually beige. Planets have become quite dull and samey. And that's a real shame since the textures look really good. Maybe I have been unlucky in the planets I choose to land? If that's the case and you can prove me wrong, please!

I am very much looking forward to Mengy finding something new & interesting in this thread just as Lightspeed has above.
Woe is me when a little patch of colour drowning in a sea of brown is now labeled: new and interesting.

This was new and interesting to me.
Quk8U4F.jpg

Pb1DH3O.jpg

The same planet now:
gCEcnfp.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning on checking out some of the other DWE locales, but I haven't the stomach to fly a further 40,000 LYs to discover they're now featureless beige balls.

Would rather remember them how they once were....

l12Uqzy.jpg

In a galaxy where black holes are harmless, accretion disks non-existent, and all sorts of magic is shoehorned in to make the game 'fun', the realism argument holds no water. Exploration has precious little going for it as it is, at least it had a wide variety HMCs, many of which had characteristics and varied geological features that gave exploring them an interest outside of mat-gathering. Now even that has been 'toned down'. It now feels like its a case of seen one, seen them all.

Last edited:
One thing's for sure, the Imperial Eagle is much more photogenic than the Asp Explorer.

BUT THEN, with planet C2 in the system, I found my very first non-monotone beige HMC of the expedition!!!

This rare little HMC has a huge light blue patch on it's surface! And it even has some rather deep and craggy canyon systems, not to mention some rather un-HMC like mountain ranges on it. It's literally like this planet didn't use the usual HMC terrain generator and instead decided to use MR terrain and coloring!

This required a closer look....

What I found was that anywhere near or in the blue patch had interesting coloring and various shades, making the terrain interesting to look at, but as soon as you got out and away from the blue patch then the normal monotone beige-only coloring took over. The lack of coloring is so contrasting that HMC's seem to truly be unlike all of the other landable worlds in the game. They are the terribly mundane and drab planets of the galaxy. This one however had a very much not-beige blue spot on it, the first HMC out of 35 so far to have any coloring other than beige!

Regardless of the colors though, this HMC also seemed to have better terrain feature generation than HMC's normally do post 2.2. I took the time to land in a few places and drive around on something other than beige ground for a wonderful change!

So 2 more boring beige HMC's, but finally 1 for the non-monotone HMC category!

It's still a far cry from the normal pre-2.2 high metal content planets, but it's a step in the right direction. The search continues though, I need to find out just how rare this blue spotted HMC really is...

Great find Commander. This planet illustrates something I have been arguing about. If there can be patches of color like this, is it that big of a leap to have entire planets that color?

S1E

Distant Worlds II - 50 Shades of Beige (inc. cut and paste featureless worlds).

DW2 is a write off while Horizons is in the state it is. [down]

Totally agree, it's a real shame. Frontier seem to be obsessed with "realism" yet ignores the fact that if they are going to make the rocky worlds more realistic, they also have to make something, either that be ELWs or just the rocky worlds more interesting!

We're in a situation where the only real interesting things to explore are weird parts of the galaxy, which completley negates what horizons was for! We could always jump to weird clusters (well not m67) but what we really want horizons for is them planets!

verminstar

Banned
I'm waiting for Mengy to get bored, I have a few pics lined up. I've posted pics in previous threads too. Every time I posted one the criteria was narrowed, so considering how subjective it is I'll just carry on watching Mengy's selective progress reports ;)

Came across an A-class system earlier with both an Earthlike and an Ammonia world. Looped around both to watch the sun come over the horizon & it crossed my mind that Ammonia worlds are beige too ;)

btw perhaps not everyone is aware the MB already responded about a week ago? I know Ziggy is aware, (s)he's been sarcastic about it a couple of times.

With changes to procedural content there are winners & losers. Before we had preposterously exaggerated features & colours in some cases, now those have been toned back and other areas have been much improved. It's no worse overall (I think it's better), but if you narrow down your criteria to HMCs & MRs orbiting KGF stars you could miss out.

Ammonia worlds and ELW are non landable non HMC worlds and I can assure ye that if an HMC had the same features as an ammonia world, then I doubt anyone would be complaining about anything other than the colour.

Can anyone link this so called response? Because Ive honestly never seen it and I dont think very many others have either...so its like chinese whispers and without proof or a link, then Im starting to wonder if it exists at all. If thats the official word, then how difficult would it befer them to confirm it? Of course, if its a bug, then best thing to do would be to say nothing until the cause could be found and rectified.

Toned down ye say? More like bulldozed and broad brushed with beige...toned down is a truly hilarious understatement but ok, lets run with that one. K,G and F stars? I didnt get the memo and search out A right through to class G...I divert now and then to intentionally hit class B stars and am finding the uniform...and toned down...hmc everywhere. I have not limited meself to any search conditions...if others have, then go them...I didnt get the memo and I rarely do as Im told anyway.

By all means, if you like this change, then thats a subjective point of view...very few others here do which places you into a very small minority. But you can end this whole thread right now by posting up recent colourful and varied hmc or mr...think of it like a challenge, otherwise all ye have is hot air claims on a forum.

The realism claim for ED has evaporated, along with the colour green.

No other stellar bodies. No accretion disks. No radiation bursts from Sag A*. No comets. No pulsars (unforgivable as pulsars are the best 3-d navigational tool thus far). No binary stars with one devouring the other. No CME's.

That's a lot of things missing from an 'accurate representation of the galaxy'. BTW, i,ve never had chance to visit Pluto - is it in any way modelled correctly?

Great find Commander. This planet illustrates something I have been arguing about. If there can be patches of color like this, is it that big of a leap to have entire planets that color?

S1E

I’m actually starting to believe that colored patches on planet surfaces do indeed signify something important, especially with regards to world generation by the Stellar Forge post 2.2.

The majority of High Metal Content planets today are colored a very monotone beige, with very little color variations if any at all on their surface. At most there are a few patches of a slightly different shade of beige or brown/tan. But it’s more than that, these planets also exhibit extremely mundane surface terrain features too. Very few canyons, and those few are less craggy, more shallow, and just generally more plain than canyons on other planet types. Mountain ranges that are low, sparse, almost eroded looking in their normalness. That is the HMC standard template that pervades the galaxy since 2.2.

Now move on to Metal Rich planets. These are more rare than HMC’s and they also are often beige in color, BUT they usually feature one or two large areas of color contrast on them. In addition to this they also almost always have much more interesting terrain generation than HMC’s. Canyons that are much more frequent, deeper and more fractal looking, with canyon floors of different coloring than the beige surface. Mountains are more varied as well when compared to HMC mountains, with coloring different than the surface and much more height variations.

Now, take a look at Rocky Worlds. These planets seem to have not changed at all post 2.2. They are almost always extreme versions of the HMC and MR worlds, with surface colors which are very often not beige, sometimes quite varied and with regular contrasting surface color areas too. They also commonly have much more frequent and varied terrain features with much more color variety, in both the canyons and mountains, and even the craters.

If you look at these three world types: HMC, MR,and RW, you can almost see them as variations on an identical scale of terrain generation. Imagine a range of 1 to 10, with 1 being a default planet template of beige and little terrain variation, and 10 being a planet with many colors and extreme ranges and variety of terrain generation. If the Stellar Forge has weighted planet generation with certain types favoring one end of the scale and others favoring the other end, then you can think of HMC’s as a 1 or 2 with a rare case of 3, MR’s as a 2 or 3 with a rare case of 4 or 5, and RW’s as a 6,7 or 8 with rare case of 9 or 10. Each planet type might have a very slight chance to go extreme to one end of the scale, but this would be extremely rare. It would explain why I could find 35 HMC’s all looking very similar, some MR’s looking different but some still looking like HMC’s, and many RW’s with a lot of variety but still a few looking like very standard beige HMC’s too.

If this is correct, then it might explain what changed in 2.2. RW’s seem to be unaffected by 2.2 so their numbers on the scale did not change, but HMC’s clearly are very different than pre-2.2, as are MR’s, there is a plethora of evidence now to prove that. Maybe HMC’s and MR’s simply had their terrain generation ranges drastically lowered, with the end result being far less variation but still a small chance of some variation?

Ice worlds follow a very different template, sporting a wide variety of colors all throughout the surface, craters, mountains, and canyons which can stretch all across the surface in huge variations and patterns. These haven’t changed since 2.2. Rocky Ice Worlds seem to be a combination of the HMC/MR/RW and Ice world templates, with the most variety and colors and features out of all planet types, they also don’t seem to have been changed since 2.2 either. The fact that these two world types along with the RW’s were not changed in 2.2 suggests that their procedural range numbers weren’t touched like HMC and MR worlds were.

NOW, here is the big question which we all would love to see Frontier answer:

Were the Stellar Forge changes to HMC and MR worlds in 2.2 intentional, or were they accidental?

I shall continue to document this phenomenon with the hopes that a deluge of data and evidence can pry some type of response from the Gods of the Galaxy Generation! [big grin]

Last edited:
By the way, here is a promotional video from Frontier back in November of 2014:

https://youtu.be/8yd-m9AR7mY?t=1m2s

If you go to timestamp 1:02 you will see a ship flying in to land on an HMC, here is a pic of said world:

ETvgI2K.jpg

You'll immediately notice the myriad of colors, it looks absolutely splendid. Now remember, this was three years ago and an in-game HMC.

And here, for comparison, is an HMC I landed on a week ago:

7WWqX2z.jpg

Yeah, I'm just speechless. What...the...Frack? :eek:

I'll keep looking anyway, scouring the galaxy for now, but I feel like my mission is a very fruitless one. [sad]

By the way, here is a promotional video from Frontier back in November of 2014:

https://youtu.be/8yd-m9AR7mY?t=1m2s

If you go to timestamp 1:02 you will see a ship flying in to land on an HMC, here is a pic of said world:

You'll immediately notice the myriad of colors, it looks absolutely splendid. Now remember, this was three years ago and an in-game HMC.

And here, for comparison, is an HMC I landed on a week ago:

Yeah, I'm just speechless. What...the...Frack? :eek:

I'll keep looking anyway, scouring the galaxy for now, but I feel like my mission is a very fruitless one. [sad]

WOW that is a HUGE difference. That is really bad. [sour]

Keep up the good fight Mengy!
I salute your fortitude and resolve in your quest for colour!

As a side note rocky ice world's were hit hard with the colour AND terrain generation nerf bat as well.
Those planets had the most interesting topography and colour variation out of all the planet types, now they're kind of "meh".

Last edited:
Here's a few more monochrome beige boring HMC worlds:

BSVsd93.jpg

9dmsKam.jpg

sksoJBg.jpg

fWUe4Iq.jpg

H7z17NG.jpg

p3gwEEo.jpg

ypPYPqx.jpg

pMGOtcY.jpg

qSxcZlK.jpg

And for a bonus, here is a monochrome beige boring but slightly more interesting metal rich planet:

ZzDmsww.jpg

HChy86y.jpg

It's bland and beige, but at least the terrain gen is a tad more interesting than an HMC. Probably just due to the small size of the MR planet.

I hope I find a rocky ice world soon so I can look at something interesting....:rolleyes:

Wasn't there a study done on the colour of the universe recentky and it turned out that beige was the colour of the universe?

Yes, that study was from seven years ago, but it was about the average star color in the universe, not planet colors:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-latte-The-average-colour-Universe-beige.html

We don't have any scientific basis for an average planet color, other than our own solar system, which is very colorful. Elite currently does not mimic this.

Top Bottom