Elite / Frontier Elite Legend - ZX Spectrum 2021 - best 8-bit Elite?

It’s a Mk 2 beam laser so better than the old version, but I found the military lasers to be too fast at melting enemy ships - with the increased frame rate of this version I also found myself zapping dropped cargo pods before I could let go of the trigger. I still do with the Mk2 Beam, but only now and again - and every time I seem to do a Clarence Boddiker quote from Robocop (“You…you burned the %#&*ing money!”) 😅
Edit: Actually, you’ve given me a ship outfitting thought - the Cobra can fit 4 different weapons (one for each “view”) and Elite Legend allows you to “rotate” the weapons. In practice it’s a bit like having fire groups; currently I’ve got a mining laser in the rear view and rotate it to the front when I see an asteroid. Now that I’m getting Thargoid invasion missions I might install a Military Laser to one of my spare slots and just use it when doing AX station attacks.

Thankfully I didn’t enjoy its tender mercies as I got Elite in the Supreme Challenge double tape box set 😁
It’s funny how what seemed normal then, in retrospect I’d not consider now. I’m not talking about Remlok, but loading the game from, loading saves from, loading saves to, cassette tapes. I guess the rich folks had micro drives ;) , but the uncertainty of loading and the agony of loading the correct save was the best incentive I can remember not to die in game :)

It’s funny how what seemed normal then, in retrospect I’d not consider now. I’m not talking about Remlok, but loading the game from, loading saves from, loading saves to, cassette tapes. I guess the rich folks had micro drives ;) , but the uncertainty of loading and the agony of loading the correct save was the best incentive I can remember not to die in game :)
Only being able to save to tape while docked and docking at crashing into a station were the best incentives for buying a docking computer 😅

With this current playthrough and the ability to flash save at any point, I attempt manual docking every time - my daily run consists of jumping to a new system, fighting/mining/scooping my way to the safe zone, kicking in the emulator fast-forward function to get the station in visual range, then finally manually docking (flash save first!) and trading/planning for the next destination. Ideal for a short play of an evening - unless I go to an Anarchy, then it’s half an hour of grimacing and muttered swears 😁

Thargoids have been attacking again; the last mission in the original Speccy game is now a recurring event. It's not too difficult unless you have a long system transit or meet stealthed Thargoid ships - I was lucky in this event to only have a few interceptions and only meet standard ships.
Source: https://youtu.be/utMRQQv06hc

Next time the bugs attack I'm going to attempt to stay and notch up a few AX kills - I reckon if I detonated the Q-Bomb a few seconds later I could've taken out the remaining three ships after destroying the station. The cloaking device could probably give me a little breathing room too, though I'm wary of using it too much - if the Thargoids manage to drop my shields then they can chew through the Cobra's power banks in seconds and attempting a hyperspace jump might take too long.

I saw another new thing last session (unfortunately I didn’t capture any video as things were a bit hectic): while being attacked by a pirate wing, a neutral NPC ship (a Python) happened to be flying past and was engaged by the pirates - at which point the Python launched 3x Vipers which then proceeded to absolutely obliterate the baddies in seconds 😅

I’ve seen big pirate vessels launching Kraits/Adders/Sidewinders but never anything from a “goodie” ship. Seems like the sort of thing that will catch out players indulging in a bit of one-sided ship-to-ship trading 😁

Top Bottom