Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

Discovery keeps starting up off-screen. I've tried dual and single displays. I can see it if I maximize it, but that 's it. I'm sure this isn't the only app that does this; anyone have a fix?

EDIT: Eureka! Shift+Rt click on taskbar icon, select "Move," then just move the mouse until it shows up! Thanks, Google!

I just got a bunch of false positive shepherd moons:

1.jpg

tBMgnA7.jpg

1UH5Wz6.jpg

4gaY1xZ.jpg

Doesn't look like a false positive, just a barely visible B ring with an inner edge that's almost three times as far out as the e moon. Not really visually interesting, but it is inside the orbit of a wider ring according to the journal data. Unfortunately I can't really check for how visible rings are.

I thought all rings showed up on the orrery...My apologies.

I have found that zooming out too far will make the large outer rings dissapear, if they are really wide the sometimes won't show, try zooming in and out on the moon closest to the inner edge of the outer ring, you can sometimes see them that way. The Orrery is, like all things, not perfect and has some algorithms built in to make stuff disappear at certain zoom levels and if the inner edge of the outer riing is really far out you will get to that point before seeing it.

Discovery keeps starting up off-screen. I've tried dual and single displays. I can see it if I maximize it, but that 's it. I'm sure this isn't the only app that does this; anyone have a fix?

EDIT: Eureka! Shift+Rt click on taskbar icon, select "Move," then just move the mouse until it shows up! Thanks, Google!
I'm having this same problem, except that I can't seem to find the window. Is it in any particular direction?

I'm having this same problem, except that I can't seem to find the window. Is it in any particular direction?
I don't know if it indicates the offscreen window's position, but if you hover over the taskbar icon until it shows the window preview, then right-click on the preview's title bar and select "move," the little quad-directional cursor will appear in a corner of the screen. Perhaps that indicates direction. I think "resize" will do the same thing. But you should be able to get it on screen without knowing its direction by doing what you quoted and moving the mouse in a spiral pattern. Make sure you don't click after you click on "Move."

I don't know if it indicates the offscreen window's position, but if you hover over the taskbar icon until it shows the window preview, then right-click on the preview's title bar and select "move," the little quad-directional cursor will appear in a corner of the screen. Perhaps that indicates direction. I think "resize" will do the same thing. But you should be able to get it on screen without knowing its direction by doing what you quoted and moving the mouse in a spiral pattern. Make sure you don't click after you click on "Move."
I followed your directions but despite the move order I could not get the window into view. After maximizing it however it remained on the screen. Thank you for your help!

RE: Flattening, one formula to estimate the flattening coefficient (assuming uniform density and various other factors is:
O16Rb05.png

Where w is (2 * PI / rotation period), r is mean radius and M is body mass (seconds, meters and kg). Oh, and G is the gravitational constant. This factor (f) can then be used to calculate the equatorial radius and polar radius as this:
FR6E8i4.png

Finally, you can compare this difference between the radii as a ratio of the equatorial radius. I've put this into a copy of the spreadsheet pasted earlier and sorted on this ratio. Results are promising:
Oblated Gas Giants

I'd say if you considered everything with a ratio of under 12, it'd be pretty close (or perhaps 10). Only 2 of the extreme ones are missed, and there's likely something else going on there (I think close binary orbits affect things, for example). Worth pointing out that the spreadsheet is (mostly) not journal data - journal data would help accuracy of calculations. I expect this would be quite a challenge to put in custom XML though, perhaps it's something Vithigar can build in (or maybe I could).
Not to be presumptuous, but is anyone taking this up? I'd give it a shot, but we'll have fleet carriers before I get it right.

Hi, have to say - awesome tool, thank you!

However I really don't have any skills with programming, so could you oblige me by helping this ignorant out with specific instructions on how to change "jumponium" to something I'd prefer, such as "boost materials", please? Whilst it's not a big deal, I don't think jumponium is pronounced well.

Secondly is it possible to change the voice? I've tried changing it in the Settings/Speech panel, but Observatory doesn't seem to pick that up.

Many thanks and regards. o7.

Without a more concrete idea about how a body's oblateness can be determined from the information in the journal I don't know if there's really much I can do. The entirety of the work required is figuring out the correct formula, at which point adding it as a check is trivial. Unfortunately I don't really have anything to add in that effort that hasn't already been suggested here.

If you like you can create an issue on github for the feature request to get it added as a built-in check, but I'm just going to put a "help wanted" label on it and leave it alone until someone comes up with a reliable way to determine it.

Without a more concrete idea about how a body's oblateness can be determined from the information in the journal I don't know if there's really much I can do. The entirety of the work required is figuring out the correct formula, at which point adding it as a check is trivial. Unfortunately I don't really have anything to add in that effort that hasn't already been suggested here.

If you like you can create an issue on github for the feature request to get it added as a built-in check, but I'm just going to put a "help wanted" label on it and leave it alone until someone comes up with a reliable way to determine it.

Not sure what you think I'm asking for, but I was only wondering if anyone is "figuring out the correct formula," because I don't have the chops to do so. I wouldn't ask for it to be made a built-in check, nor do I disagree with your hesitance.

Not sure what you think I'm asking for
I, in turn, am not sure why you think I was responding directly to you. :p That was a response to Redfox's suggestion that an issue be created.

As for wondering if anyone is working on the formula, you already seem to have put the most work into it by far. If you want to keep it up feel free to do so.

I, in turn, am not sure why you think I was responding directly to you. :p That was a response to Redfox's suggestion that an issue be created.

As for wondering if anyone is working on the formula, you already seem to have put the most work into it by far. If you want to keep it up feel free to do so.
I shall undertake it...💩

Top Bottom