Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

But, um...this is cool.
1.jpg

Sorry about the weirdly large screenies.

Awesome thanks for the update.

I now have Observatory messaging me on Telegram when it finds something. :)

Having it on my phone is a bit neater I think, I tend to have Twitch on the 2nd screen, Observatory was competing for space there.

eFAshr4.png

They weren't very oblate fwiw.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the update

Codex data transmission to the Intergalactic Astronomical Union.
This data is completely anonymous, containing only information that is found in CodexEntry journal lines (which isn't much). If you want to help a group of players catalogue the various biological and geological signals throughout the galaxy simply enable "Transmit Codex Discoveries to IGAU discovery catalog" in the settings window.
The foundation of this change was added by @CMDR Urania Minora, so questions about the particulars of why they collect this data should be directed there.
Can you explain this point a little more?
For example, does it have an impact on performance or on the Observatory response?

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the update

Can you explain this point a little more?
For example, does it have an impact on performance or on the Observatory response?
Bitstorm seems to have you covered on who it's for. As for performance, the data is sent asynchronously (the program doesn't wait for requests to complete before continuing), so normal use of Observatory should be unchanged.

If you do a "Read All Logs" you'll see a counter telling you how many entries and waiting to send in the background, but Observatory shouldn't respond any differently while this is happening. You can continue normal use, or even quit mid-transmission, with no ill effect.

Last edited:
@Vithigar

Observatory is great, thanks for doing it!
It opens up a whole bunch of discovery that isn't readily available for people like me who do not have phds in astrophysics and wants a sort of co-pilot to sit there are say things like "hey look over that at this cool and unusual thing you missed!" (y)

I think a lot of the improvements will be about putting more unsual stuff put in the custom files.

Maybe Frontier could add colour info to the journals. 🤔

If you're not familiar with it, Telegram is an app for sending messages like Messenger or WhatsApp, but it also has great support for bots. If you want to get notifications sent to your phone then follow these instructions:
  • Install Telegram on your phone and set your user up.
  • Search for the user BotFather and start a conversation. This is the Telegram bot that allows you to create your own bots.
  • Type /newbot and follow the dialogue through (set your bot's name etc)
  • Once done, you'll get an API key. This is important, make a note of it (and keep it secret)! It will look something like 1234567890:abcdef1234kjhgf
  • Your own bot now exists - search for it and start a conversation with it
  • Type something to the bot - 'hello' or whatever, just so there is a conversation in place.
  • In your web browser, go to https://api.telegram.org/bot<APIKEY>/getUpdates - replacing <APIKEY> with your actual API key, e.g. https://api.telegram.org/bot1234567890:abcdef1234kjhgf/getUpdates
  • You'll get a JSON object of recent chats with your bot. You should see a chat there with your name, and that chat will have an id - make a note of this.
  • Enter both the API key and Chat ID in Observatory and hit the 'Test' button - you should then get something from your bot.
  • If it didn't work, go back through the instructions and double check everything

You should now be able to get notifications from Observatory to your phone

Sorry to be a pain, but you guys were clearly busy when I posted this a week or so back ...

"Hi, have to say - awesome tool, thank you!

However I really don't have any skills with programming, so could you oblige me by helping this ignorant out with specific instructions on how to change "jumponium" to something I'd prefer, such as "boost materials", please? Whilst it's not a big deal, I don't think jumponium is pronounced well.

Secondly is it possible to change the voice? I've tried changing it in the Settings/Speech panel, but Observatory doesn't seem to pick that up.

Many thanks and regards. o7. "

Sorry to be a pain, but you guys were clearly busy when I posted this a week or so back ...

"Hi, have to say - awesome tool, thank you!

However I really don't have any skills with programming, so could you oblige me by helping this ignorant out with specific instructions on how to change "jumponium" to something I'd prefer, such as "boost materials", please? Whilst it's not a big deal, I don't think jumponium is pronounced well.

Secondly is it possible to change the voice? I've tried changing it in the Settings/Speech panel, but Observatory doesn't seem to pick that up.

Many thanks and regards. o7. "
Correct, I missed your original message entirely. My apologies.

If you want to change the "jumponium" text you can open the most recent config file in %localappdata%\Observatory and add the following to the list of settings there:
XML:
<setting name="FSDBoostSynthName" serializeAs="String">
    <value>FSD Boost</value>
</setting>
You can make the value whatever you like.

I'm a little surprised that the speech voice doesn't use what you've selected as your default though, I'll have to look into it. There's currently no way to change it.

That's awesome, Vithigar, thank you! That's sorted that.

I confess I'm more familiar with Apple's OS over Windows, so it's possible I've missed something but as far as I can tell my system voice is set to Microsoft Catherine (quite like the accent) and as mentioned Observatory doesn't use it. Of course, Windows being Windows, there could be other settings that need to be changed!

I am finally getting to test this whole app out on a proper exploration trip. I had been using it to scour my old logs while I was in process of back to back SRV planetary circumnavigations. I am now embarking on a galactic circumnavigation. Liking it in real time so far. I need to learn how to do custom criteria.

I did notice the same thing Pon Farr did with the text to speech. I am also using windows 10 and have Microsoft Hazel as my default system TTS voice, however EO is using Microsoft David as its voice. Perhaps coincidental, but what I did notice while checking my windows TTS settings, is that the drop down for voice selection has Microsoft David as the first choice in the list.

Deleted member 240115

D
Yep, that's exactly right. Our goal is to provide a simple, and easy to use discovery catalog. https://github.com/Elite-IGAU/publications/blob/master/IGAU_Codex.csv

We also have an EDMC plugin that does the same thing. (http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=481)
The idea is to have support in several apps, giving players a choice of app, rather than forcing one app.
We're also working with one other popular ED app author to have support for sending us discovery data "baked in" their app too.

FWIW, I am a professional astronomer IRL, so the IGAU is modeled heavily on "real world" Astrophysics research organizations.

If you have any other questions on who we are, or what we do, contact info is in my signature block.

Looks like it's this player group : https://elite-dangerous-iau.fandom.com/wiki/Elite_Dangerous_Wiki_IAU

It seems like on reading all historic logs all pertinent data will be sent there along with ongoing data as you would expect.

That's all I have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 240115

D
While we do appreciate back filling data, the idea is to get a continuous stream of data, and as such, would appreciate the transmit data option to be checked

Thanks for the link, I didn't know him. I will look at it.

I agree, it seems the best option to send the data manually in batch, send all the history and deactivate it

Top Bottom