Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

I have just jumped to the first system since install and nothing has happened. No voice and no new entries in the Explorer tab. Anything I missed? I have monitoring activated. Do I need to also have "read all" activated?

Is there anything interesting in the system? If nothing is classed as interesting then nothing will show. But to test if it is working properly you can run the "read all" and if it is working ok it should eventually show all your old interesting things! But that's not necessary to get it to work, only if you want to say find all your old interesting finds.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Is there anything interesting in the system? If nothing is classed as interesting then nothing will show. But to test if it is working properly you can run the "read all" and if it is working ok it should eventually show all your old interesting things! But that's not necessary to get it to work, only if you want to say find all your old interesting finds.
Ok thanks. When I click "read all" nothing is read aloud with voice correct? Just displayed in text.

What's a "Shepherd Moon"? I see that in some of my past stuff.

They are actually a real thing, and they are called shepherd moons because they act to keep the ring gaps open;

Basically shepherding stray ring debris back into the ring with gravitational effect of their passing. Without them ring gaps probably wouldn't exist at all, although there are plenty of gaps in ED without shepherd moons in theory they should close fairly quickly without something to keep them open.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Are landable atmospherics for example something usually announced by voice upon arrival? Asking because I am still not hearing a single voice announcement after a couple days in game. Not sure if I have to activate or do something specific for voice announcements to work?

Last edited:
Are landable atmospherics for example something usually announced by voice upon arrival? Asking because I am still not hearing a single voice announcement after a couple days in game. Not sure if I have to activate or do something specific for voice announcements to work?
When you say "upon arrival" are you using the FSS, or just jumping from system to system? You need to FSS the system for scan logs to be written to the journal for Observatory to read.

@Viajero, take a look at your "Core" tab and check what is marked active there.

Another question: what is "Uncommon Secondary Star"? I've never got this notification yet.
I don't recall the full list of star types that trigger it off-hand, but it's basically any of the non-main sequence, non-brown dwarf stars, which are also not the primary star in the system. Black holes, neutron stars, Wolf-Rayet, etc.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
When you say "upon arrival" are you using the FSS, or just jumping from system to system? You need to FSS the system for scan logs to be written to the journal for Observatory to read.
I see! For some reason I asumed the info available to me (system map etc) would be also available to the app, hadn’t realized the FSS was necessary to trigger it. Cool.

I don't recall the full list of star types that trigger it off-hand, but it's basically any of the non-main sequence, non-brown dwarf stars, which are also not the primary star in the system. Black holes, neutron stars, Wolf-Rayet, etc.
I think it doesn't work, then. No notifications for O-class with secondary WR and BH with oribiting NS.

I can confirm that it doesn't work. The old Observatory picks up hundreds of uncommon stars, the new one says there are none.
Screenshot 2021-11-22 131328.JPG

v0.1.327.2251 - Bugfix

Not much to say about this one, mostly bugfixes! Of particular note though are three built-in criteria in Explorer that were up until now completely non-functional in the Core rewrite: All FSD Mats In System, All Surface Mats In System, and Uncommon Secondary Star.
  • System-wide FSD boost material checks now function
  • Uncommon secondary star check now functions
  • Rephrase error while reading custom criteria file to indicate the issue is in the file itself
  • Fix issue with custom criteria journal processing errors not reporting properly and possibly spamming error windows
  • Rephrase system-wide checks in Explorer to refer to primary star and omit body ordinal number
  • Remove non-function (and confusing when it did function) "multiple criteria" notification setting
  • Change herald to disabled by default (will not affect people already using Herald)
  • Internal change for ssml handling to preserve style tags

Absolutely awesome tool, Vithigar! Thanks for all the hard work you put in to maintaining it!

I had a quick question about the built in criteria, and if there's any way to modify them, or get a little bit of insight into how they function. I'd like to widen the criteria for planets or moons that orbit close to their parent, but I've been struggling with custom criteria for it given that as far as I know, the "value" in the custom criteria lua file has to be a number and not an expression like "2*Parent:Radius". Is there something I'm missing?

Absolutely awesome tool, Vithigar! Thanks for all the hard work you put in to maintaining it!

I had a quick question about the built in criteria, and if there's any way to modify them, or get a little bit of insight into how they function. I'd like to widen the criteria for planets or moons that orbit close to their parent, but I've been struggling with custom criteria for it given that as far as I know, the "value" in the custom criteria lua file has to be a number and not an expression like "2*Parent:Radius". Is there something I'm missing?
For a simple criteria expressions are correct, but you do need to indicate what you're comparing more clearly and with the correct names.

Also, you say you want to widen the check but close orbit is already 3x the parent radius. More generous than your 2x example expression.

That said, the built in check, written as a custom criteria, would be something like this:
Code:
::Close Orbit::
parents and scan.SemiMajorAxis < parents[0].Scan.Radius * 3

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I'm on my phone right now so writing scripts is awkward. ;)

The documentation for writing them is here: https://github.com/Xjph/ObservatoryCore/wiki/Lua-Custom-Criteria

And although I'm going to bed now if you need more help then hopefully someone will jump in here, or you can check on the Observatory discord server which is linked at the bottom of the first post.

For a simple criteria expressions are correct, but you do need to indicate what you're comparing more clearly and with the correct names.

Also, you say you want to widen the check but close orbit is already 3x the parent radius. More generous than your 2x example expression.

That said, the built in check, written as a custom criteria, would be something like this:
Code:
::Close Orbit::
parents and scan.SemiMajorAxis < parents[0].Scan.Radius * 3

I'm pretty sure that's correct. I'm on my phone right now so writing scripts is awkward. ;)

The documentation for writing them is here: https://github.com/Xjph/ObservatoryCore/wiki/Lua-Custom-Criteria

And although I'm going to bed now if you need more help then hopefully someone will jump in here, or you can check on the Observatory discord server which is linked at the bottom of the first post.

Thanks so much for the quick response! I somehow completely missed that page of documentation. I think I should be able to figure it out from here! I find that sometimes planets 4LS or so away from the parent star have awesome views from the surface, but don't trigger the criteria. I may try setting it to 4*Radius and go from there.

EDIT: For some reason, I keep getting this error in a popup now, and every time I start monitoring, EO unchecks custom criteria. It appears to happen whether custom criteria are enabled or not. I haven't had a chance to test whether the custom criteria work or not yet because the ED servers just went down for maintenance.

[string "chunk"]:2: attempt to index a nil value (field 'scan')

Last edited:
Top Bottom