Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

I have a little QoL request that doesn't quite fit the objective of the tool... but it fits the way I use it, so here goes... When we scan a body that is Uninteresting, it is tagged as such and it disappears when another body is scanned. Sometimes there are bodies that I want to visit, mostly for aesthetical reasons. It would be really cool (to me I guess) to click it on Observatory to tag it. Instead of Uninteresting the description would be Tagged or Manually Tagged and it would not disappear when another body is scanned.

The other way around could also work. Click a body with some description to make it Uninteresting.
Not a bad idea! Shouldn't be difficult, I'll try to remember about this. ;)

I wrote a custom criteria by copying the oblate gas giant criteria, and modifying to check for "Hot Jupiters" (period of 10 days or less). Does this look OK? Also might be worth sharing anyway.

Code:
<Criteria Comparator="And">
    <!-- Only check this against gas giants -->
    <Criteria Comparator="Equal" Value="1">
        <Operation Operator="Add">
            <FirstValue Type="Operation">
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class I gas giant</FirstValue>
                            <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class II gas giant</SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </FirstValue>
                    <SecondValue Type="Operation">
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class III gas giant</FirstValue>
                            <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class IV gas giant</SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </SecondValue>
                </Operation>
            </FirstValue>
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Sudarsky class V gas giant</FirstValue>
                            <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Gas giant with water based life</SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </FirstValue>
                            <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Gas giant with ammonia based life</FirstValue>
                                    <FirstValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Helium rich gas giant</FirstValue>
                                    <SecondValue Type="EventData">PlanetClass:Water giant</SecondValue>
                                </Operation>
                            </SecondValue>
                        </Operation>
                    </SecondValue>
                </Operation>
            </SecondValue>
        </Operation>
    </Criteria>
    <Criteria Comparator="Less" Value="864001">
        <Operation Operator="Multiply">
              <FirstValue Type="EventData">OrbitalPeriod</FirstValue>
              <SecondValue Type="Number">1</SecondValue>
        </Operation>
    </Criteria>
    <Description>Hot Jupiter</Description>
</Criteria>

Can you download it and just run it from time to time outside the game to just browse through your journals? I don't use any external addons and would like to see a list of things in my exploration journals ..

wnRpSVv.jpg

...or something like that.

I'll also use that picture for a bug report - the artefacts around bright objects in high res shots definitely are still there :(

Last edited:
Things are showing up as "fulfils more than one criteria" but I can't see what criteria it's talking about.
With default sorting they should be the lines immediately proceeding the "multiple criteria" line. If you've changed the sorting then they might be elsewhere, but you should be able to find them by sorting on time or body.

With default sorting they should be the lines immediately proceeding the "multiple criteria" line. If you've changed the sorting then they might be elsewhere, but you should be able to find them by sorting on time or body.

Got it! Sorry; I didn't look carefully.

Coming soon...
1581082106971.png

Before anyone panics, PC users don't need to do this, and probably shouldn't. I'm not trying to steal your data, and nothing from Elite Observatory ever gets sent back to me. What this will do is (hopefully) allow Observatory to read the journals of console players via the companion API using their Frontier accounts.

Tried to do a read of all journals and got this error.

---------------------------
Error Detail
Journal Line: { "timestamp":"2020-02-08T07:27:58Z", "event":"Scan", "ScanType":"Detailed", "BodyName":"Stuemeau NL-Y d39 C 3", "BodyID":21, "Parents":[ {"Star":4}, {"Null":0} ], "StarSystem":"Stuemeau NL-Y d39", "SystemAddress":1353644528523, "DistanceFromArrivalLS":17673.638672, "TidalLock":false, "TerraformState":"", "PlanetClass":"High metal content body", "Atmosphere":"thin sulfur dioxide atmosphere", "AtmosphereType":"SulphurDioxide", "AtmosphereComposition":[ { "Name":"SulphurDioxide", "Percent":100.000000 } ], "Volcanism":"", "MassEM":0.048789, "Radius":2364971.000000, "SurfaceGravity":3.476806, "SurfaceTemperature":150.313828, "SurfacePressure":173.140640, "Landable":false, "Composition":{ "Ice":0.000000, "Rock":0.670955, "Metal":0.329045 }, "SemiMajorAxis":166266601472.000000, "Eccentricity":0.003444, "OrbitalInclination":-0.000265, "Periapsis":125.402542, "OrbitalPeriod":56923788.000000, "RotationPeriod":104956.875000, "AxialTilt":0.221860, "WasDiscovered":false, "WasMapped":false }

Exception message: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

Stack trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Enumerator.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()

at Observatory.ScanReader.IsInteresting()

at Observatory.ObservatoryFrm.LogEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)

at Observatory.LogMonitor.ProcessLine(String logLine)

at Observatory.LogMonitor.ReadAll(ProgressBar progressBar)
OK

That's strange, it went through fine the next time I searched!

Last edited:
Tried to do a read of all journals and got this error.

Error Detail
Journal Line: { "timestamp":"2020-02-08T07:27:58Z", "event":"Scan", "ScanType":"Detailed", "BodyName":"Stuemeau NL-Y d39 C 3", "BodyID":21, "Parents":[ {"Star":4}, {"Null":0} ], "StarSystem":"Stuemeau NL-Y d39", "SystemAddress":1353644528523, "DistanceFromArrivalLS":17673.638672, "TidalLock":false, "TerraformState":"", "PlanetClass":"High metal content body", "Atmosphere":"thin sulfur dioxide atmosphere", "AtmosphereType":"SulphurDioxide", "AtmosphereComposition":[ { "Name":"SulphurDioxide", "Percent":100.000000 } ], "Volcanism":"", "MassEM":0.048789, "Radius":2364971.000000, "SurfaceGravity":3.476806, "SurfaceTemperature":150.313828, "SurfacePressure":173.140640, "Landable":false, "Composition":{ "Ice":0.000000, "Rock":0.670955, "Metal":0.329045 }, "SemiMajorAxis":166266601472.000000, "Eccentricity":0.003444, "OrbitalInclination":-0.000265, "Periapsis":125.402542, "OrbitalPeriod":56923788.000000, "RotationPeriod":104956.875000, "AxialTilt":0.221860, "WasDiscovered":false, "WasMapped":false }

Exception message: Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.

Stack trace: at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException(ExceptionResource resource)

at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.Enumerator.MoveNext()

at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()

at Observatory.ScanReader.IsInteresting()

at Observatory.ObservatoryFrm.LogEvent(Object source, EventArgs e)

at Observatory.LogMonitor.ProcessLine(String logLine)

at Observatory.LogMonitor.ReadAll(ProgressBar progressBar)
OK

That's strange, it went through fine the next time I searched!
Weird. Observatory maintains an internal dictionary of bodies and scan events so it can know what was previously scanned this session and reference their properties for aggregate checks. In this particular case a new scan got added to that dictionary while it was iterating over the other landable bodies in system to determine surface material availability.

Were you still flying around/scanning at the time? I should add a way to guard against that happening. If you weren't that's altogether stranger.

Oooh, I almost forgot--- Has anyone suggested adding Trojan Planets as a possible detection criteria? They're completely non-obvious in the FSS but the data is straightforward, as long as you store the current system's bodies for comparisons. Basically the body has to be "adjacent" in the numbering sequence at the same nesting level (for example, planets "A 4" and "A 5"), with the same orbital period, semi-major axis, and eccentricity (I used about a 1% variance permitted to account for rounding errors). The Argument of Periapsis should be 60 degrees apart, but for my spreadsheet I just require it to be less than 179.9.

They're not "cool screenshot" material, but they're rare and hard to notice unless you spend a lot of time looking at the orrery views in every system.

Hi Vithigar

Every time I run observatory I need to tell it where is my journal folder. It's supposed to be that way or I'm doing something wrong?
No, in fact the latest release had a change specifically to avoid that happening. Just to be sure, are you running the latest version? You should see the version number in the title bar if so.
If you are then I'll have to dig further. Would you mind PMing me a copy of your config file? You can find it in %localappdata%\Observatory\, in whichever subfolder there is most recent.

Weird. Observatory maintains an internal dictionary of bodies and scan events so it can know what was previously scanned this session and reference their properties for aggregate checks. In this particular case a new scan got added to that dictionary while it was iterating over the other landable bodies in system to determine surface material availability.

Were you still flying around/scanning at the time? I should add a way to guard against that happening. If you weren't that's altogether stranger.

I tried the same yesterday after fully scanning a system (so there was nothing more to be discovered) and got the same error. Reading all log files without Elite running doesn't trigger any error messages.

No, in fact the latest release had a change specifically to avoid that happening. Just to be sure, are you running the latest version? You should see the version number in the title bar if so.
If you are then I'll have to dig further. Would you mind PMing me a copy of your config file? You can find it in %localappdata%\Observatory\, in whichever subfolder there is most recent.

Oh, I was not at the latest version (there was no version number at title bar). I've downloaded the latest version (0.4.20.018) and now it's ok. Thank you.

Top Bottom