Release Elite Observatory - Search your journal for potentially interesting objects, or notify you of new ones on the fly while exploring!

I somehow forgot about this board completely when I posted this in the Exploration board last Thursday. Well, here I am now!

What even is this?
Elite Observatory is a small tool which can read and monitor your Elite Dangerous journal for objects which might be "interesting" so you can go take a closer look.

What is "interesting?"
A lot of things, potentially. Currently there are built-in checks for:

• Landable and terraformable (might not be interesting to look at, but you can go there and dream of what might be!)
  • Landable with atmosphere (I know it can't happen.... but what if it did?!)
  • Landable high-g (>3g)
  • Orbiting close to parent body
  • Shepherd moons (orbiting closer than a ring)
  • Close binary pairs
  • Colliding binary pairs
  • Moons of moons
  • Tiny objects (<300km radius)
  • Fast and non-locked rotation
  • Fast orbits
  • High eccentricity
  • Large landable objects (>18000km radius)
  • Wide rings (> 1 light-second)
  • Good premium FSD boost material availability (5/6 materials on a single body)
  • Full premium FSD boost material availability within a single system
  • Full premium FSD boost material availability on a single body (pretty sure this can't happen, but I'm watching for it anyway)
These checks are all individually toggleable if there are some you don't want to see.

I don't care about any of that!
Well, you can add your own. A set of user-defined criteria can be created so you can find the things you like. The caveat here is that I have not built a GUI for it, and the system for reading them is very crude at the moment (I'm working on it), so you'll be awkwardly editing xml by hand. There is a description of how to do so in the readme on github, which I will link below. If you need more help, give me a shout!

You said it monitors, do I have to alt-tab constantly to check on what has been found?
No! You can enable pop-up notifications or text-to-speech!

This sounds vaguely familiar...
Well, it should. /u/imathrowback on reddit created a very similar tool a few months ago, which served as my inspiration, so I'd like to thank them for that. They also said at the time:

maybe some nice soul will copy it and make it better and awesome
I don't know how nice I am, or how awesome this is, but here you go!

What does it look like?
A little like this: Source: https://i.imgur.com/1CLqRT1.png

Where do I get it?
Right here: https://github.com/Xjph/EliteObservatory/releases

A few people I know have been testing earlier versions, but I've been waiting on getting custom criteria implemented before doing a wider release.

What do I need to run it?
Probably nothing you don't already have. Strictly speaking it requires .NET 4.5, but if you don't have that you're probably not running Elite either.

Is it safe?
Well, I say it is, but it's up to you whether or not you trust that. You can read the source on github if you like, and to be extra safe build it yourself.

Sure, let's take a look at that source!
https://github.com/Xjph/EliteObservatory

Yeah, there's some stuff in there I'm not super proud of. None of it is malicious though...

This is broken garbage!
Report a bug! Either on github or here is fine.

I have an idea!
Let me know! Or submit a pull request! Or fork the project and just do it all yourself! Or rewrite it all from scratch! Or fail to muster up the motivation and do nothing! I'm fine with all of those options.

Changes coming "soon" include more control over the text-to-speech voice (including volume control), a wider selection of data available for custom criteria, and some fine tuning on existing built-in checks (I think the "close binary" check is a little too tight at the moment). Those will probably show up within the next week or so.
Further down the road I'm going to investigate using the companion API to get journal data for console players so they can use this as well. Though I expect I will not be able to do the same "all your logs since the beginning of time" parse, or the realtime monitoring. It will most likely be an on-demand check for recently scanned items, assuming I get it working at all.

Last edited:
New release, get it while it's hot!

https://github.com/Xjph/EliteObservatory/releases/tag/v0.3.19.260

Getting this one out before everything I planned was done in order to fix an issue cause by some very odd values showing up in some people's journal files.

• Fixed issue caused by INRA log text being inserted into journal file in place of the localised name of some procedural systems. (what?!)
  • Performance during "read all logs" should also be improved
  • Loosened "close binary" criteria, extremely few bodies were qualifying
  • Added volume adjustment for Text-to-Speech voice
  • More informative error messages are now available

Not sure what "full up" means in this context. If you mean storage space this is less than 1MB. It also uses very little CPU while monitoring.
Full up in this context means that I've quite a few other things I need to finish, before I can get to play with new stuff.

Thanks for keeping this great tool going forward. Loaded it up last night, added a few custom criteria, and went exploring, found a few interesting planets I would have ignored. brilliant.

That was a +1 from me. I can't say anything about the program (flying on Playstation) but publishing the source code under a free license (not the GPL though … I wonder why) AND encouraging people to check the code is something worth +1000 … But I can click the button just once.

(not the GPL though … I wonder why)
MIT is less restrictive about how other people can use the code than GPL. If someone else wants to take this and make it part of a closed-source project they can, while GPL forbids that. There are other differences, but that's probably the most significant. I just wanted to be very clear that anyone is free to adapt this in any way they want to.

Top Bottom