Elite's co-creator David Braben moves to a new role of President and Founder of Frontier, as Jonny Watts is promoted to CEO

It was clearly a personal slight against specifically you yes, I picked up on that subtext immediately. Really the job should have gone to you.
You think I'd enjoy pulling that cart out the muck? Nah. Well at least they didn't make the CFO master of biz. Can't say any other Frontier game appealed to me, I'm not a big fan of theme park games. And if there will ever be another go at new Elite - who knows.

I didn't see this in the patch notes for update 13. Galnet reports didn't say "Super weapon fires and fails to remove Thargoid threat, causing the CEO Braben to step down" either. This really is a major change to the narrative, FDev have out done themselves this time.

How do you get 'step down' from that? That's a funny way to look at how roles expand beyond that of a single person, or should David Braben still be bashing at the code by himself as well as running all the other aspects of the company directly? When a single person starts a company and then that company expands to the point where it becomes necessary to employ someone for sales and another for accounting to allow for added growth, did the founder just 'step down'?

I am quite sure that the new CEO will be reporting to David Braben, not the other way around.

Honestly, I don't think it's Frontier who outdid themselves in this instance..

How do you get 'step down' from that?
Several news articles have lead with the headline 'David Braben Steps Down'. Here's a couple of examples:

Several news articles have lead with the headline 'David Braben Steps Down'. Here's a couple of examples:

Thanks for the info, I see now.

I didn't read both but the ign article goes on to say:

"He will still be a highly influential figure at the developer, however, as Frontier said Braben is still an "executive director" and will "retain his leadership and vision for Frontier's strategic direction".

I guess technically it could be correct, in the way that one steps down as a district manager to become national manager kind of way. But it's framed in a misleading way in my opinion. I guess there's some Star Citizen fans writing these articles, hehe.

Did you actually read the articles though?

Every time somebody talks of Braben as directly involved with the game, I get this mental image of him sitting exactly like Robert Fripp, on a chair discreetly off to the side of the stage office landscape, completely motionless, save for the hands on the guitar keyboard, tight expression hewn in stone, and the rest of the band devteam fixed by a gimlet stare. :p

I answered Fixxatron's question "How do you get 'step down' from that?". They probably got it from other, similar articles that used that phrase in their headline. Those two were from my google newsfeed.
The one stuart posted a the start explained it best.
They created the "president" role so db can focus on what that entails but he hasn't gone anywhere and is still with, and controls the company. All they have done is delegate responsibilities.
As you probably get:
President > CEO
And it probably has very little to do with any doom theories, especially those who put a negative spin on anything..

The one stuart posted a the start explained it best.
They created the "president" role so db can focus on what that entails but he hasn't gone anywhere and is still with, and controls the company. All they have done is delegate responsibilities.
As you probably get:
President > CEO
And it probably has very little to do with any doom theories, especially those who put a negative spin on anything..

Ok. I just answered Fizzatron's question.
I have no opinion on the story or spin applied and no agenda, I was only answering that specific question (that I quoted for clarity).

Top Bottom